mod organizer overwrite files

majnoon53

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ι'm reading and watching these, for 3 hrs now...

Why is it so difficult to simply tell me what to do???

He's talking about the "Overwrite" folder on the bottom. I don't have anything in there! I've posted a pic. We're talking about different things.

If you don't wonna help, fine. But why you bother to answer... since you're not ANSWERING at all?

I assume, to fix that, is a matter of few clicks and some work. Can you write me the steps, because I can't figure out what to do? Such videos as above, I'm watching them over and over again since I posted my first post here (few hrs ago!) and I STILL don't know what to do to fix my problems...

Edited by LupusHegemonia

I'm not lazy, I'm TOTALLY LOST!!!

I'm starting as newbie something (moding) and I need help from experience people. "USUALLY", the vet people helping the "green".
You don't; simply mocking me and calling me names ("lazy").

I'm lupus_hegemonia, from "Hegemonia: City-State" (Rome Total War), the top mod of Rome: Total War. I was co-founder of this mod and I was working on it 7-9 hrs per day, for SIX years!

So... I'm not "lazy"! I simply don't know s*** of Skyrim moding. I bought the game one month ago, not in 2011...

Anyways, thxs for nothing... I'll find someone who's NOT LAZY, to give me a hand.

P.S. Btw, you gave MORE than two sentence response to the previous guy! But to me... you couldn't!

Edited by LupusHegemonia

Ιn "S.T.E.P.", I'm reading:

Enhanced Night Skyrimhttp://wiki.step-project.com/images/thumb/8/85/Wikilink.png/18px-Wikilink.png Download and install only the Enhanced Night Skyrim v04 Low Stars optional file.

I'm pressing the green button... the mod is downloading... I'm double clicking... everything is install. HOW am I suppose to CHOOSE?

Why "S.T.E.P." guide doesn't say "how" to choose, since the mod automatically is installing all?

Edited by LupusHegemonia

Not every mod is going to have a scripted installer with choices. In the case of the mod you mentioned in your last post, STEP is telling you which specific file to download and install. If STEP doesn't have instructions on which options to select in a scripted installer then that mod does not have one (unless the mod has been updated to include one, which can happen as STEP is not up-to-date with the most recent version of every mod in their selections)

Lets revisit the instructions for Enhanced Night Skyrim:

"Download and install only the Enhanced Night Skyrim v04 Low Stars optional file."

This means:

Go to the Nexus page, access the files tab, scroll down to the OPTIONAL FILES section, locate the correct file, download it and finally install it.

A lot of STEP's instructions will require you to access the files tab for specific files rather than simply downloading the "main file" from the initial page's download button.

I'm not lazy, I'm TOTALLY LOST!!!

I'm starting as newbie something (moding) and I need help from experience people. "USUALLY", the vet people helping the "green".

You don't; simply mocking me and calling me names ("lazy").

I'm lupus_hegemonia, from "Hegemonia: City-State" (Rome Total War), the top mod of Rome: Total War. I was co-founder of this mod and I was working on it 7-9 hrs per day, for SIX years!

So... I'm not "lazy"! I simply don't know s*** of Skyrim moding. I bought the game one month ago, not in 2011...

Anyways, thxs for nothing... I'll find someone who's NOT LAZY, to give me a hand.

P.S. Btw, you gave MORE than two sentence response to the previous guy! But to me... you couldn't!

Well i hate the break it to you but you are going to have to READ and watch videos if you are a newbie. Everything you need regarding mod installation has already been provided for you. You just arent using it. You want a spoon fed answer. people like you cant really be helped.

Not every mod is going to have a scripted installer with choices. In the case of the mod you mentioned in your last post, STEP is telling you which specific file to download and install. If STEP doesn't have instructions on which options to select in a scripted installer then that mod does not have one (unless the mod has been updated to include one, which can happen as STEP is not up-to-date with the most recent version of every mod in their selections)

Lets revisit the instructions for Enhanced Night Skyrim:

"Download and install only the Enhanced Night Skyrim v04 Low Stars optional file."

This means:

Go to the Nexus page, access the files tab, scroll down to the OPTIONAL FILES section, locate the correct file, download it and finally install it.

A lot of STEP's instructions will require you to access the files tab for specific files rather than simply downloading the "main file" from the initial page's download button.

I SEE!!! Thxs! So... First, even if the "S.T.E.P." guide is newer, is NOT up to date! So, I WOULD NOT press the green button and automatically download (everything), but instead to scroll the files and pick EXACTLY what "S.T.E.P." says!

Now, I understand it! Thxs very much!

THAT... is an ANSWER!!!... "Go there and check this post" IS NOT an answer, is a LAZY response when someone is fanatic to posting but actually NOT saying anything!

...So, Ishara,... how am I fixing this "Overwriting Files" issue? I don't have anything in the "Overwrite folder" (on the bottom of the MO list). I just have these "lighting bolts icons" aside some (many) mods. What should I do?

The overwrite folder is for files that are created which would normally appear in the Data folder and do not have an active version in a mod folder. This would be things like output files for FNIS, new scripts created or compiled with the Creation Kit, various logs related to mods during game time, etc...

The lighting bolt icon indicates that at least one file in the mod either has priority over a file in an earlier mod or lost priority to a file in a later mod. The plus indicates files with priority and the minus indicates files without priority. It is possible for a mod to fall under both categories.

If you follow STEP exactly, you should not need to worry about the position that the files are in as it has you install them in the order in which they want the files to have priority. STEP will tell you to 'hide' some files, this is one means of dealing with conflicting files. Hiding a file with priority removes it from view and gives the priority to the next version of the file no matter what mod it comes from.

To see what files a mod has conflict with and which mods it takes priority from and yield priority to:

Double left click on the mod (or right click and choose information)

Select the Conflicts tab

Files in the top group are those with priority from the mod, it also shows the mods with the file that do not have the priority

Files in the bottom group are those that lost priority to another mod, it also shows the mod that won the priority

Hopefully that was helpful as I cannot tell you what to do with any one specific file. Priority decision is up to the end user's tastes and desires for how they want their game to appear and behave.