Horses. What's the point?

MrMiggins

Horses suck a lot this time around. They charge in fighting like a berserker, they are all the same stat wise with the possible exception of shadowmere and they all feel about as fast and bulky as the painted horses in Oblivion. Their main use is for target practice to level magic and meat.

After all the complaints about worthless horses in Oblivion you figure Beth would have done something about it. I hold to the hope that they eventually will. The very first DLC for Oblivion was the pointless horse armor. Maybe this time they will release horse armor, and add into it at least the ability to have your follower ride horses.

I don't think Beth will ever make it so that you can fight on horseback, although other RPG games have done it (think Two Worlds); the reason being it would create an entirely new dynamic and would be complex to pull off.

It would be nice, though, to be able to at least use non-destruction spells while on horseback.

Horses suck a lot this time around. They charge in fighting like a berserker, they are all the same stat wise with the possible exception of shadowmere and they all feel about as fast and bulky as the painted horses in Oblivion. Their main use is for target practice to level magic and meat.

They would need to play their game first lol...so many things that just dont give sense.

I have to admit they're nice for lower levels if you need a quick get away. For instance, I don't like fast traveling much because it spoils my experience. So I get a horse. Along the road chances are I'll see a bear, pack of wolves, necromancers, etc... that I don't feel like fighting, and with a horse I can easily out run them. They can also climb steeper gradients.

Other than that, no they're quite blah. I've had horses that have been smart enough to run away when they're health is low, but not always.

Edited by QueenOfThieves

Why are you guys dismounting your horses RIGHT NEXT to the enemies? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Get off the horse a ways down the road, run up road, kill, run back down. It's not the horses fault.

And yes, they need individual stats, they need their jump fixed, they need their prices raised based on stats, and they need mounted combat

Even if you do dismount, the horse charges the enemy. I've take the horse away and then ran back, and it still came in!

You could use a sword on Twilight Princess and more closer to the genre: you could at least fire your bow from horseback on Shadow Of the Colossus.

The only thing right now the horse is going to do for you is be a decent restoration slave. Just have it fight, ignore the enemys and just use healing hands or heal other spells.

I like the horses! But they are so... underwhelming.