Oblivion is being a pain in the arse.

SomexDudex

Okay.. To start off I have a powerful enough computer to run this game. I'll upload pictures of my mod load order, as well as my pc specs.

So I have a ton of mods installed. I installed better cities mod, oblivion character overhaul, and a tweaked ENB, along with a mod that provides better hairstyles, and all natural weathers, I have the 4 gig ram patcher, I have the UOP and the Unofficial Oblivion DLC Patch. As well as Wrye bash and BOSS and BOSS masterlist along with OBMM, QTP3, RAEVWD, Tes4LODGen and a combat stance mod that makes your characters stance more cool looking. At first a tweaked ENB did not work so I ended up uninstalling that. Then I installed Oblivion Reborn. Installed Grass Overhaul. Enhanced Ground Textures, enhanced flora, and then I started seeing problems with the grass glitching and moving across the ground really fast until it disappeared. On top of that, Oblivion would set my settings to medium. And the settings won't save if I use the obse, it only works if I use the launcher. The frustrating thing about that though is once I changed the settings to the recommended settings for Oblivion Reborn and exited out of the game it would crash. So I attempted to disable some of the mods to see if it would prevent the crashing and it did. So now I have the reccomended settings for Oblivion Reborn, well the grass was still moving across the ground really fast. I've noticed that the grass usually starts doing that once I enter third person view, and then back to first person. So I decided to install a new enb along with Oblivion Reloaded because I have no idea what to do about the grass... it really bugs me. But once I installed an enb called Cyrodill enb which requires you to back up a copy of the renderer info file and delete it so the oblivion launcher can generate a new one, Oblivion set my settings to low and now it's not even recognizing my graphics card.. It's telling me that I have an Nvidia Geforce 9600 GT. And now no matter what I do the stupid game crashes on startup! This is driving me up the wall ugh! I just want to enjoy and play one of my most favorite games of all time but the game is so damn unstable it's so difficult to mod it.. I hope someone can help me with this mess though.... Cause I really do want to get it to work :(

For the grass problem, it is maybe due to Oblivion reloaded. Try disabling the grass mode and shader in the oblivionreloaded.ini file:

GrassMode = 0

EnableGrass = 0

For the crashing problem, delete your Oblivion.ini file and launch the game to build another.

Do you play on Steam ? If yes I suggest you to launch the game via Steam and not OBSE, and then try to change the options.

Also change this in oblivioreloaded.ini :

SaveSettings = 1

So the changes you'll make in the options (ingame) will be saved.

Edited by bevilex

Okay thank you! I will try that. and no I actually bought the game for pc when it first came out. I still have the same disc and, the shivering isles and knights of the nine from years back.

UPDATE: Ohhh nevermind. you said oblivionreloaded.ini my bad lol I'll get to work on that right now. I'll let you know if it fixes anything

Edited by SomexDudex

Get rid of all the unofficial patches for DLCs you don't have installed (the ones in red).

Bevilex was talking about OblivionReloaded.ini for the grass ... zero (0) means off. If you are going to use Oblivion Reloaded you should read the readme/manual, it's not a simple plug and play mod to install.

- Edit - In general laptops make poor gaming machines. The nVidia site mentions a memory clock (but no info on how much dedicated memory) on your graphics chip. If it doesn't have at least 2GB VRAM dedicated to it there will be one bottleneck. Your CPU is a laptop CPU (i.e. designed to save battery life) and 2.4 GHz isn't all that quick.

When introduced and for a couple of years afterward this game was the benchmark to test high end machines with real world applications (and that was the vanilla game ... no mods). That was back in the days of the good old CPU clockrate wars. A kickass machine back then was over 3.0 GHz, with a CPU that had far fewer execution stages in it's pipeline. Todays CPUs (even those aimed at desktop usage) are optimized for modern applications that have been coded to take advantage of multi-core CPUs and advanced architecture (which actually slows things down when it guesses wrong).

Edited by Striker879

Get rid of all the unofficial patches for DLCs you don't have installed (the ones in red).

Bevilex was talking about OblivionReloaded.ini for the grass ... zero (0) means off. If you are going to use Oblivion Reloaded you should read the readme/manual, it's not a simple plug and play mod to install.

- Edit - In general laptops make poor gaming machines. The nVidia site mentions a memory clock (but no info on how much dedicated memory) on your graphics chip. If it doesn't have at least 2GB VRAM dedicated to it there will be one bottleneck. Your CPU is a laptop CPU (i.e. designed to save battery life) and 2.4 GHz isn't all that quick.

When introduced and for a couple of years afterward this game was the benchmark to test high end machines with real world applications (and that was the vanilla game ... no mods). That was back in the days of the good old CPU clockrate wars. A kickass machine back then was over 3.0 GHz, with a CPU that had far fewer execution stages in it's pipeline. Todays CPUs (even those aimed at desktop usage) are optimized for modern applications that have been coded to take advantage of multi-core CPUs and advanced architecture (which actually slows things down when it guesses wrong).

I got it working now. The only thing now that I'm having trouble with is setting the graphics to ultra. Oblivion changed my settings to low but I don't know how to switch it to ultra. It doesn't give me the option to do that in the launcher. And changing the settings in game where you set the textures to large I'm not too sure if that changes to the graphics to ultra. :/

For the grass problem, it is maybe due to Oblivion reloaded. Try disabling the grass mode and shader in the oblivionreloaded.ini file:

GrassMode = 0

EnableGrass = 0

For the crashing problem, delete your Oblivion.ini file and launch the game to build another.

Do you play on Steam ? If yes I suggest you to launch the game via Steam and not OBSE, and then try to change the options.

Also change this in oblivioreloaded.ini :

SaveSettings = 1

So the changes you'll make in the options (ingame) will be saved.

I did exactly what you said and it's working now but the only problem I have now is that the game doesn't give me the option to change the graphic settings to ultra. Oblivion set it to low quality. And I'm not too sure if changing the textures to large in game switches the graphics to Ultra. I don't think so but I may be wrong.

You mean the launcher does not allow you to change the preset? There should be buttons in the launcher for that (screenshot in spoiler):

http://i.imgur.com/nt4nqaY.jpg

Yeah I know but for some odd reason it's not showing up :( Here I'll screen shot it