Skyrim won GOTY, Best RPG and Best Studio... Aw Yeah!!

manmanman

I think Skyrim is garbage as it is right now. Once I finished the incredibly short main quest line and ended the war, there was really no reason to play any longer. These are some of my OPINIONS about the game and why Bethesda doesn't deserve any kind of recognition.

•  
  • bugs
  • missing plot elements (Aldmeri Dominion, Vigilant of Stendar.) DLCs as a medium to deliver content to the game that should have already been in it to begin with are NOT acceptable.
  • unbalanced skills (Destruction is underpowered, smithing levels too fast.)
  • useless skills
  • sluggish combat (Feeling as if you are swinging at nothing in combat, charge attacks send you flying past enemies, spammy spells.)
  • non-dynamic story (Many quests and details about the world are non-dynamic. Thieves Guild and Riften for example.)
  • low res textures
  • lousy voice acting (Ahhnold)
  • bad UI
  • boring world (Its very beautiful and there are a lot of places to go, but what really is there to do in the world? I find it really boring that the majority of the game has me fighting my way through these cramped and linear dungeons that still look all the same. Also the world outside seems really empty. Blackreach is the only exception)
  • essential NPCs (There are far too many)
  • no player voice (This is doable even in a game like this. Think about Mass Effect and Saints Row.)
  • too easy (Once you get to about level 40 or so, what little challenge the game had is gone.)
  • lack of notoriety (Nobody cares about you or the things you have done.)
  • made for consoles (This one is goes out on a limb but, I HATE consoles. They hold back so much potential in games.)

Edited by CelerasRingor

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't really agree with Skyrim getting GOTY. It's not exactly a "quality" title. Way too many things wrong with this game. Over hype, advertising, and sales are the only reason Bethesda won these awards. You could make a case that Skyward sword was more deserving. I've played both games and I felt Skyward Sword overall was executed much better.

Wtf are you doing on it? I have it on xbox360 and pc, and it has never crashed once. Maybe you just have a piece of s*** computer or something.

What am I doing on it that is wrong? Apparently using a 64-bit operating system. You know, the kind that can actually make use of 4gb+ RAM, improving performance overall. I had no crashes at all before patch 1.2, since that patch (as well as since 1.3) I see a crash every day or two, but I am one of the lucky ones (I am using the 4gb enabler, which does help). Other folks on this forum as well as the official one have repeatedly reported their high end systems are suffering more crashes than lower end hardware rigs, in some cases as often as crashes every 5-10 minutes. This is not a case of faulty or subpar hardware, this is something inherently wrong with how Bethesda coded their software.

Edit: All this on top of the UI designed purely for console controllers, which happens to be downright terrible for keyboard/mouse users. Bethesda rushed to meet their artificially self-imposed deadline, and managed somehow to completely forget their original core user-base was on PC, so they could slam out a game designed to run on 5+ year old hardware and draw in large quantities of sales from people who neither know nor care about the lore behind the game, or the previous games, let alone the RPG genre. Face it, Skyrim straddles the line between RPG and action/adventure game.

My hat goes off to you my friend. No one could have said it any better. Especially the last paragraph. No matter who says what, you are correct. And it is becoming evident that even amazing games like the TES is slowly becoming "consolized". I believe morrowind was the very last game in the series that truly stuck to it's roots. Then along came Oblivion and the new 360. Oblivion was going to have dynamic shadows that rivaled that of Skyrims and so much more content until the new xbox came along and they had to cut so much stuff due to hardware limitations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de1M4Q_g2eg

Does that look like the oblivion that we have been playing for five or six years now? No. Todd Howard was demoing this at E3 on a PC! Not a console.

I think Skyrim is garbage as it is right now. Once I finished the incredibly short main quest line and ended the war, there was really no reason to play any longer. These are some of my OPINIONS about the game and why Bethesda doesn't deserve any kind of recognition.

•  
  • bugs
  • missing plot elements (Aldmeri Dominion, Vigilant of Stendar.) DLCs as a medium to deliver content to the game that should have already been in it to begin with are NOT acceptable.
  • unbalanced skills (Destruction is underpowered, smithing levels too fast.)
  • useless skills
  • sluggish combat (Feeling as if you are swinging at nothing in combat, charge attacks send you flying past enemies, spammy spells.)
  • non-dynamic story (Many quests and details about the world are non-dynamic. Thieves Guild and Riften for example.)
  • low res textures
  • lousy voice acting (Ahhnold)
  • bad UI
  • boring world (Its very beautiful and there are a lot of places to go, but what really is there to do in the world? I find it really boring that the majority of the game has me fighting my way through these cramped and linear dungeons that still look all the same. Also the world outside seems really empty. Blackreach is the only exception)
  • essential NPCs (There are far too many)

This.

I expected an Elder Scrolls RPG and got instead... what's this, Call of Duty?

Annual azaltan CRPG Awards:

''Golden Recycle Bin'' award : Skyrim

''False Advertising Lifetime Achievement '' award : Todd Howard

You, sir, deserve my SUTY (Sarcastic User of The Year) Award :biggrin:

The awards are not given based on how good the game is. The awards are given to appeal to their audience. I think everyone knows who spikes audience is.

That is the big issue with game awards. They should never be taken seriously. Maybe in a few years we can have serious game awards, but gaming is pretty new and there really is nothing close to the Academy Award yet. The people who rate games for the GOTY award are people who have no idea what they are talking about, they are doing it for money interests and to appeal to their audience.

One of the biggest categories for these awards is graphics. If someone cares about graphics over aesthetics, story, and gameplay, they should not be in the position to be voting on games for the GOTY award.

Not to mention some of these awards are voted on by the public. Imagine what kind of movies would win the Academy Award for Best Picture if everyone in the world could vote for them.

TL:DR - These awards have no point. Until gaming is completely mainstream and accepted there will be no serious award given out.

GOTY means nada. Some years ago, when the Witcher and Hellgate london came out, Hellgate London (that incredibly unfinished and bad game that died after a short while) won rpg of the year in Norway and they did not even nominate the Witcher! This is how serious those awards are.... Everything is paid for in some way.

Year 2005, Todd Howard hyping Oblivion's new excellent Radiant AI :

<snip>

Year 2006, final pruduct (multiple GOTY), Radiant AI in action :

<snip>

They were making the game for the Xbox without even knowing the specifications. Blame Microsoft for not giving them the Xbox hardware specifications earlier.

''They were making the game for the Xbox without even knowing the specifications''

I stopped reading after this.

EDIT:

@Todd Howard, 3 rules of game development

Ahhahahaaa... ohhohoho... well

Edited by azaltan