Other languages

draenn

Hello, I post here because I am shocked by the way how I have been treated because I posted a mod in french language for skyrim. I don't want to discuss here the fact I didn't respect the terms of agreements because I deleted my file and uploaded a new one with english description and english traduction now, so I respect the terms now. But I want to discuss about the terms, and specifically the rule that impose the english language as the only allowed language.

Someone said this rule was justified because theses forums are internationnals. But I'm sorry, every international web sites I know allow multiple languages, they don't impose only one, and they have specific parts of their sites dedicated to other languages too. It is what means internationnal. International means not supremacy and totalitarism.

Thank you.

Millions of other people speak french, some of them are playing skyrim or video games and can do your work like you and for french mods ... And it is the same for a lot of other languages.

How other sites are doing ? Do you think there is someone who knows all the languages at the same time ?

Nope, but you'd know if you had been in this community more than 2 days that I don't bring on people to help very often, and the people I do bring on I know, like, and respect. It's a lot of work for me to find someone like that, and the reason I do it is to keep everything close, secure, and tight-knit. I don't want to keep this community held together with plasters and band-aids.

Supporting multiple languages is a massive undertaking, and I'm not keeping up with one language so I'm not going to overload myself with multiple languages. Perhaps in the future, but not now.

And that, as they say, is that.

This argument is just plain stupid, just write the description in english and everything is ok. I would say the french language is ok for mods that are made to run only on french version of the game, but for mesh/texture replacers and simple mods that can be used in all versions, just write them in english.

Oh and

Millions of other people speak french, some of them are playing skyrim or video games and can do your work like you and for french mods

Yes, but there are also millions of other people (users) that don't know french and they don't know what the heck you wrote in the description, therefore they won't use that mod because they don't understand what it does. If I write my description in croatian, would you understand what I wrote, and would you download that mod? English is a universal language for most sites and most people know it, so just stick to it.

Edited by Werne

French version of the game needs french mods ... Spanish version of the game needs spanish mods ... Deutch version of the game needs deutch mods ... What is stupid in that thing ? People don't like to see their game broken by mods who have other languages, that's not only an understanding of the language problem ...

So we are making mods with our game for different languages. Some people help modders with traductions. That's how it's working. And we need to distribute all these versions, not only the english one ...

So we need a way to give a description of our mod in all these languages, we need a way to distribute the files for all the versions, and people need to know which language versions are available, then we need feedback from people for all the versions. People who wants to help to traduct the mod needs a location to speak together ... That's not stupid ...

I know it's more work ... But don't say these rules are justified if the only real reason behind these arbitrary rules is you don't want to work more.

You can't moderate other languages ? Ask someone to do it for you ... How are other sites doing ???

I think what he wants is some sort of subforum for specific languages, something like Mount&Blade forums have. While it's not a bad idea, it's overwhelming for one guy to manage all that and the reason why some forums have such things in the first place is becouse those forums belong to the companies that develop those games and they can afford to moderate them. This is not a official forum. There are mods in other languages here to, but mostly translations. If trolls give you a hard time, report them and let the staff deal with them. :thumbsup: Edited by Pushkatu

That's not what I understood Dark0ne was saying. Of course the Nexus allows hosting of non-english mods and translations as well.

But as the majority around here is speaking english, it is paramount to at least have your descriptions in english. So everybody knows what it is about.

If I then also provide the description in German, my mother tongue, after the english section or not is secondary. Primarily there must be one in english, no matter what.

Oh and just because other sites do X or Y doesn't mean Robin also has to do X or Y now. And honestly, an offensive and insulting argument with the site owner is never a good idea, rather discourteous even.

There is nothing one could "demand" around here, as nobody's paying for anything, so take care your posts don't sound like doing that.

Besides, what's the big deal anyways? Keep your french description and add an english translation to the top and all's well. After all you'll want to enable 100% of Nexus users to use your mod, if they like, not just a small fraction capable of reading french, or won't you? :ermm: (Ok, it will still be a fraction when it's a french mod anyways, but this way at least all users know "what" it is.)

And mind Dark0ne's words, "descriptions or comments"! There's no telling a french mod per se isn't allowed. You just need a "description" every user can read, at least informing people it "is" a french mod. That's all.

Edited by DrakeTheDragon