Keyboard Controls Won't Work, But Work When Holding Down Windows Key

manchuligans

Yesterday...

Skyrim was such an easy game to play...

Now I just want to hide away...

Because my keyboards controls won't work...

Since yesterday....

Hi everyone,

Yesterday Skyrim was working fine. Now, the game loads fine, and seems ok except for one thing:

My keyboard controls won't work, except for the keys around the edges.

WASD, the spacebar, and the other letter keys won't work.

ESC, CTRL, ALT, SHIFT and the Windows/Start key work just fine.

When I hold down Windows/Start key, the CTRL key, or the ALT key, the WASD keys and spacebar work just fine (so it's not a keyboard issue).

I didn't add, remove or update any mods.

The only thing which was unusual was that I started Skyrim through SKSE - Mod Organizer without starting Steam first. It asked me if I wanted to start Steam, I clicked no, then exited the Skyrim launcher which came up.

I started Steam, and I think Steam updated (I wasn't paying attention), I started Skyrim through SKSE-Mod Organizer. The save game loaded fine, but the WASD/keyboard controls now won't work.

I went into my ini files and made sure the Gamepad settings were set to 0. I restarted Mod Organizer, Steam, started a new game, but even with a new game the problem was still there.

Since there is keyboard input (ESC, CTRL, ALT, SHIFT) ingame, and all the keys work just fine when I'm not in Skyrim, I don't think it's a keyboard issue. Think it has to be some kind of obscure Skyrim or Steam setting.

Can anyone give me any advice?

Thanks!

Ooooh, a budding poet...

*ahem* Okay, seriously. Have you checked to see if Sticky Keys is active?

Start your Steam again, then start your Skyrim through SKSE as normal. As soon as you load into a save, go to System > Settings > Gameplay and then, you probably guessed it, see if the "360 Controller" is checked. Now here's the weird part: If it is NOT checked, go ahead and check it. Now back out of the menu and see if your keys work. I know it's a long-shot, but sometimes Skyrim thinks that box is checked when it isn't and vice-versa.

Uhmm, sorry if this is too obvious but, have you actually checked your controls in Settings to make sure the keys are still bound the way you want them?

Here's a Steam Discussion that might be of help.

Thanks Ledd, I did check and uncheck the 360 controller setting, but to no avail, and my keybindings were correct.

Now, I'm not sure about Sticky Keys, but I think the issue had something to do with a similar Windows setting. I was trying to install some software, and what do you know, the same problem!! That was proof positive it was NOT a Skyrim or modding issue.

I searched high and low, and found it was likely a Windows ease of accessibility setting, Filter Keys. I checked those settings, and none of them were set, but the shortcut was to hold the SHIFT key for 8 seconds.

Possible Solution: I held the SHIFT key for 8 to 10 seconds anyway, and that supposedly turned off Filter Keys even though the Filter Keys box was not checked.

For anyone having this issue, press Start, search for Filter Keys, check your settings, and then press and hold the SHIFT key for 10 seconds.

My Skyrim now works :D and I and my 19 followers are hiding out in a sea cave before going on to confront the Blackblood Pirates!

Edited by manchuligans