SKSE

Lodbrok

Considering how important mods are to Bethesda now, I'm surprised they didn't just extend SE's scripts themselves.

I mean they must have noticed how many extremely popular mods rely on script extenders.

Bethesda should have just hired the whole SKSE team and included SKSE in Special Edition from Day 1 considering Behippo and co. did a HELL of a lot more extensive scripting and work in general than Bethesda's scripting team that worked on the original Skyrim scripts at that time in order to allow all these mods to work. But maybe its better if they DON'T get hired so they can have more control over the script extender's development, where as if they DID get hired, they would have to sacrifice a LOT of creative control.

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Expired and schlangster both have said that anyone that wants to help should, to quote schlangster, "just do some work and submit it for review." How would someone know what to work on? How would they know what has already been done? I'll admit that i am a novice at best when it comes to programming and coding and such, but it seems to me that even if someone had the time, skills and wanted to help, they still wouldn't be able to.

Edited by thereallaslo00010123

Okay, correct me if i am wrong, but the source code for SE and oldrim are more or less identical save for a few additions and name changes, right? Now, as i said, i am a novice at best, but from what i understand, if the source code is more or less identical, then skse shouldn't need to change very much. It seems to me like all you would have to do would be to make sure the corresponding classnames are the same, switch the system references to 64-bit, and recompile. Ofc, i could be very wrong, so if i am, i would appreciate it if you tell me why i am wrong and what is different. I know i don't know much, but i am a fast learner and am passionate about this.

Okay, correct me if i am wrong, but the source code for SE and oldrim are more or less identical save for a few additions and name changes, right? Now, as i said, i am a novice at best, but from what i understand, if the source code is more or less identical, then skse shouldn't need to change very much. It seems to me like all you would have to do would be to make sure the corresponding classnames are the same, switch the system references to 64-bit, and recompile. Ofc, i could be very wrong, so if i am, i would appreciate it if you tell me why i am wrong and what is different. I know i don't know much, but i am a fast learner and am passionate about this.

Yes, you're missing something very important. The SKSE source code is available but the Skyrim source code is not. There are no "corresponding classnames" there are only unknown memory addresses. SKSE code isn't compiled against the source code for the game it's built against raw memory addresses used by the game. All of those game addresses have to be located and verified (which is a mostly manual process although there are some tools to help). The problem isn't making the SKSE code 64-bit. It's finding all the places it needs to hook into in the Skyrim executables, TESV.exe and SkyrimSE.exe, without having any access to the source code.

This is a very specialized type of programming. Anyone who has the skills, experience, and tools required to work on the project has enough information about how to contribute. Anyone looking at what's been posted by the team and is still uncertain about what to do simply doesn't have what it takes.

To build off of cdcooley's points, "why doesn't Bethesda just hire the SKSE team" is because that would be an incredibly poor decision on multiple fronts. The set of expert skills that the Script Extender team(s) have would simply not be of any use to Bethesda because Bethesda has full access to their own source code. It's like asking a locksmith to open the door to your house when you have the key - sure they can open your door, but you can do it easily and without spending money.

Edited by Reneer

Yes, you're missing something very important. The SKSE source code is available but the Skyrim source code is not. There are no "corresponding classnames" there are only unknown memory addresses. SKSE code isn't compiled against the source code for the game it's built against raw memory addresses used by the game. All of those game addresses have to be located and verified (which is a mostly manual process although there are some tools to help). The problem isn't making the SKSE code 64-bit. It's finding all the places it needs to hook into in the Skyrim executables, TESV.exe and SkyrimSE.exe, without having any access to the source code.

This is a very specialized type of programming. Anyone who has the skills, experience, and tools required to work on the project has enough information about how to contribute. Anyone looking at what's been posted by the team and is still uncertain about what to do simply doesn't have what it takes.

I realize we don't have the SE source code. What i meant was, since the first skse is already done, and SE's source (afaik) is more or less identical to the original (obv with some key differences), Wouldn't most of the existing skse be fine either as is or just switching the system references to 64-bit? What changed between oldrim and SE other than switching to 64-bit references and recompiling?

--

Okay, so i found this and i think i understand the situation a bit better. It seems like most of it shouldn't be very difficult; unfortunately it also seems like everything else would be very difficult and time consuming. Still, it seems like they were able to translate quite a bit already. If there are people that are trying to work on this, how would they know what they have already done?

Edited by thereallaslo00010123

So it's kinda obvious that the SKSE team held off for the Creation Club and I am happy for them...They deserve to be funded for paid content in Skyrim. I will drop $100's of dollars for their work. I just want SKSE for SSE!

I am afraid, I have to wake you up out of this dream. Bethesda don't want SKSE. They did their best to make it unavailable.

SKSE makes things possible which they tried to avoid. It also is a slap in the face of Bethesda about their skills.

I even think when FO5 and/or TES6 comes out creation kit won't be for free any more, or at least you have to subscribe to them and all you try to make with the CK will automatic saved at, and controlled by Bethesd

If Bethesda will make money off SKSE they want SKSE. Learn about marketing please before you post something stupid.

If Bethesda wanted to make money off SKSE, they'd have done it by now. Learn about the past before you post something stupid.

Bethesda will be making money off SKSE. It's called Creation Club. Again another idiotic post. I don't get it... People should be excited if SKSE is mandatory payment out of our wallets. For those bitching that or do not believe SKSE will be under creation club, they probably live in their parents basement with no job hence people like EB64. :wink:

Edited by Helios1620

So it's kinda obvious that the SKSE team held off for the Creation Club and I am happy for them...They deserve to be funded for paid content in Skyrim. I will drop $100's of dollars for their work. I just want SKSE for SSE!

I am afraid, I have to wake you up out of this dream. Bethesda don't want SKSE. They did their best to make it unavailable.

SKSE makes things possible which they tried to avoid. It also is a slap in the face of Bethesda about their skills.

I even think when FO5 and/or TES6 comes out creation kit won't be for free any more, or at least you have to subscribe to them and all you try to make with the CK will automatic saved at, and controlled by Bethesd

If Bethesda will make money off SKSE they want SKSE. Learn about marketing please before you post something stupid.

If Bethesda wanted to make money off SKSE, they'd have done it by now. Learn about the past before you post something stupid.

Bethesda will be making money off SKSE. It's called Creation Club. Again another idiotic post. I don't get it... People should be excited if SKSE is mandatory payment out of our wallets. For those bitching that or do not believe SKSE will be under creation club, they probably live in their parents basement with no job hence people like EB64. :wink:

Creation Club is only going to be open to established studios. The community authors they talk about will have to jump through several difficult hoops to even be considered.

Everyone telling you the opposite, and here you are the confirm their words by throwing insults around.

Okay, so i found this and i think i understand the situation a bit better. It seems like most of it shouldn't be very difficult; unfortunately it also seems like everything else would be very difficult and time consuming. Still, it seems like they were able to translate quite a bit already. If there are people that are trying to work on this, how would they know what they have already done?

You do some decoding yourself and send a sample. If it's good they'll talk to you further.