Deactivating facebook

RavveN

I congratulate anyone who, like me, has rid themselves of the plague that is facebook. More and more sites are tying themselves into this vapid hole of internet garbage, and it's even become acceptable in a court of law to obtain evidence of wrongdoing through people's facebook pages. Everything you do online will on day be on facebook, for all the advertisers to pay money to facebook to be able to read.

What's that you say? "They have a privacy policy!"

Look at their privacy policy again. Read closely. I guarantee that your privacy that you once thought you had is gone. There was a change in the software about a year ago, where they declared that they were moving about everything into a sub-system called "connections". Everything you like, everything you click, every game you play and every post you link to are all considered connections. No biggie, right? Well check the latest privacy policy. Advertisers are now "limited" to being able to see and use connections.

What does that mean? It means everything that Facebook has on you is now the property of marketing firms and anyone who pays money to Facebook. Your likes, your dislikes, your friends, your co-workers, your groups, your favorite books, where you work, your phone number, your pictures... all of it is now open for anyone online to do anything they want with it, so long as it's been linked to Facebook in some way.

And you let them do it, legally, by clicking "OK" to a privacy policy that said, at the bottom, "we reserve the right to change this document as we see fit, without asking permission"

This vapid hole of internet garbage is the modern day equivalent of diaries, allows people much more contact with loved ones and even brings people out of their shells. And nice scaremongering over the privacy policy, there. It may have escaped your notice but today's generation is much more open and less private about things so regardless of how strong policies are, information will get out there. FB has tightened theirs a lot over the years. It will never be perfect but it certainly isn't what you paint it. As I've said before, one just needs to use tools carefully.

What I've never understood in general is why people go and put their real names online. I guard my real name and my likeness as best I can, and do my best to keep my "professional" email address private. When I first started using the internet many years ago, screen names were what everyone used. Nowadays, people use their real names and air all their dirty laundry and their raunchy photos for the entire planet to see. I can only assume that people must think on some level that the 'net is in fact some other realm of existence where one's actions don't affect real life. I only wish now that my name wasn't so common so that other people's FB pages would not pop up in searches. I'm always afraid that someone else's misguided activities online will harm me in some way because I have the same name.

I have only my closest circle of REAL GENUINE friends - nine of them;

1) The kind that visit you when you're sick.

2) That pick you up when you're feeling down.

3) That make time for you even when they're busy.

4) Who patiently overlook your faults and love you anyway ... and you know it, and so you love them more.

5) The kind who are faithful and unhypocritical and stand with you no matter what.

Those are Friends, and those are the kind I have on Facebook ... Only.

I can't stand the "let me see how many friends I can I can get on my list" type thing ... I love genuiness - if that's a word.

Nevertheless, I do use Facebook a lot when it comes to my hobbies, as I browse the pages of people who post their stuff

on there.

I have only my closest circle of REAL GENUINE friends - nine of them;

1) The kind that visit you when you're sick.

2) That pick you up when you're feeling down.

3) That make time for you even when they're busy.

4) Who patiently overlook your faults and love you anyway ... and you know it, and so you love them more.

5) The kind who are faithful and unhypocritical and stand with you no matter what.

Those are Friends, and those are the kind I have on Facebook ... Only.

I can't stand the "let me see how many friends I can I can get on my list" type thing ... I love genuiness - if that's a word.

Nevertheless, I do use Facebook a lot when it comes to my hobbies, as I browse the pages of people who post their stuff

on there.

Well my friends are geniuenly a-holes. If i can say it that way :armscrossed:

Here this is perfect example of 'em....

One time we we're at pond about 1 hour walk from town, and i broke my knee.I fell on a goddamn rock -.-. And i was in goddamn screaming pain! And they we're like:

Friends: " Ahhh come on man, stop doing that, lets seriously go :rolleyes: "

Me: " Dude i think i broke my leg wtf is wrong with you! Help me up! "

Friends: " Dude if you don't stop with tha...You know what , then stay here "

Me: " WTF, wait, come back !!! :facepalm: "

And then about 4 hours from that i crawled to road and thank God some woman stopped and drove me to the town's hospital.

So lesson we learned today. My friends are a-holes -.-

-RavveN-

Well my friends are geniuenly a-holes. If i can say it that way :armscrossed:

Here this is perfect example of 'em....

One time we we're at pond about 1 hour walk from town, and i broke my knee.I fell on a goddamn rock -.-. And i was in goddamn screaming pain! And they we're like:

Friends: " Ahhh come on man, stop doing that, lets seriously go :rolleyes: "

Me: " Dude i think i broke my leg wtf is wrong with you! Help me up! "

Friends: " Dude if you don't stop with tha...You know what , then stay here "

Me: " WTF, wait, come back !!! :facepalm: "

And then about 4 hours from that i crawled to road and thank God some woman stopped and drove me to the town's hospital.

So lesson we learned today. My friends are a-holes -.-

-RavveN-

Ok i'm sorry i laughed but that was funny in a horrible way ... I feel for you ... ok so those are not the kind of friends you'd want on Facebook or any other book ... maybe on a poster, a wanted poster ... lmao.

How's the leg ? :teehee:

Well i know it's kinda funny :D...Ironicly funny...But yea they are bad,bad people -.-. And i broke that leg 3 years ago...So it's renewed right now i guess? :D :psyduck:

-RavveN-

Edited by RavveN

Never had Facebook, never will hehe ;) Never saw a point in it really...

Well that was first thing i ever learned to use on internet... It was kinda precious to me :psyduck:

hehe...I feel old for some reason now :P First thing I ever learned to use on the Internet was...the Internet :P Sheesh, I remember using Netscape as my browser...you had that or IE...both were equally crappy. Ah the good old days...when the Internet was horrible, slow, and you got a billion pop up ads just sitting there.

I can see Facebook's usefulness for a lot of people. But, my friends and family all live in town...so I can just call them. The closest I come to "social networking" is this. I never liked Facebook...they don't even stand by their own privacy rules and I just don't like the idea of putting my real name up for all to see. Also seems to be a huge virus hub.

Well how old are you? ^__^ I am 96' generation and i am kinda "modern kid", but not like these days kids, Jesus Christ, i mean listening to Justin Bieber? Lady Gaga? Gahhh :confused: ... I am listening to old rock and "metalz" :D... Like scorpions,metallica,iron maiden...etc :) Facebook is the first thing on internet i've seen because of all my friend, they we're all like, ahhh dude you got internet! Now you can chat with us on FB! And i was like mmmkay :D...And that's basically it, now i am studying to be Electrotechnician of computers...And i am pretty good at it, except for the math, i hate that -.-. But yea basically my point is that i won't be using facebook anymore it kills my time a lot and it keeps me away from studying. So yea :thumbsup:

-RavveN-

Hehe...early 90s kid here myself, born in '86.(huge metalhead myself \m/) Back in like 4th or 5th grade the internet was just becoming fast enough to be used in schools. Back then, I never really thought it would get as big as it is now. First actual social thing I used was yahoo messenger and that was freshman year of high school. My friends told me to get it so we could talk and help each other with homework and crap. I don't use it anymore, but I still thank my lucky stars for yahoo messenger, I met my wonderful boyfriend of over 7 years on that :) Was completely out of the blue too, he just messaged me out of nowhere and that was it heh ^_^

Never had Facebook, never will hehe ;) Never saw a point in it really...

Well that was first thing i ever learned to use on internet... It was kinda precious to me :psyduck:

hehe...I feel old for some reason now :P First thing I ever learned to use on the Internet was...the Internet :P Sheesh, I remember using Netscape as my browser...you had that or IE...both were equally crappy. Ah the good old days...when the Internet was horrible, slow, and you got a billion pop up ads just sitting there.

I can see Facebook's usefulness for a lot of people. But, my friends and family all live in town...so I can just call them. The closest I come to "social networking" is this. I never liked Facebook...they don't even stand by their own privacy rules and I just don't like the idea of putting my real name up for all to see. Also seems to be a huge virus hub.

Well how old are you? ^__^ I am 96' generation and i am kinda "modern kid", but not like these days kids, Jesus Christ, i mean listening to Justin Bieber? Lady Gaga? Gahhh :confused: ... I am listening to old rock and "metalz" :D... Like scorpions,metallica,iron maiden...etc :) Facebook is the first thing on internet i've seen because of all my friend, they we're all like, ahhh dude you got internet! Now you can chat with us on FB! And i was like mmmkay :D...And that's basically it, now i am studying to be Electrotechnician of computers...And i am pretty good at it, except for the math, i hate that -.-. But yea basically my point is that i won't be using facebook anymore it kills my time a lot and it keeps me away from studying. So yea :thumbsup:

-RavveN-

Hehe...early 90s kid here myself, born in '86.(huge metalhead myself \m/) Back in like 4th or 5th grade the internet was just becoming fast enough to be used in schools. Back then, I never really thought it would get as big as it is now. First actual social thing I used was yahoo messenger and that was freshman year of high school. My friends told me to get it so we could talk and help each other with homework and crap. I don't use it anymore, but I still thank my lucky stars for yahoo messenger, I met my wonderful boyfriend of over 7 years on that :) Was completely out of the blue too, he just messaged me out of nowhere and that was it heh ^_^

Oooh excuse me, didn't saw there that you we're a girl :wallbash: ... I almost called you "dude" :rolleyes: ...

Anyways it's good to hear there are more metallica fans than that...I'm not gonna pronounce his name :whistling:

Ohhh i remember yahoo and msn and mirc...Ahhh those we're good times, social networks overcrowded, if you are feeling lonley you just log in at mirc and chat like for a bazillion hours! :biggrin: Actually i had my first "girlfriend" there i was all like to my mom:" Mom, mom i found a girlfriend! You gotta see this! ". Ahhh those we're good times. Sadly in real life i only had once gf :( For my birthday, only that once, and ...Yea sad :facepalm: ...

-RavveN-