Oblivion ruined Skyrim for me

jpaul385

I've logged 5 years in Oblivion with dozens of characters and now with Skyrim the game is only a few weeks old and already I'm bored with it. And the frozen wilderness just cannot compare with the lush forests of Tamriel. Of course my judgment might be clouded by the many beauty mods that I used in Oblivion but still.

Rabbit

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with whoever spoke of the geography. it feels like there is much less to explore in skyrim as theres sharp mountainous regions everywhere, whereas in oblivion there aint no mountain high enough, aint no valley low enough to keep me from going there. in oblivion, it didnt feel as if the map was filled with unreachable, unusable areas that are there just to fill space. but, ive been having too many controles issues with skyrim to be able to play it without getting annoyed so i could be wrong about map size.

I agree with whoever spoke of the geography. it feels like there is much less to explore in skyrim as theres sharp mountainous regions everywhere, whereas in oblivion there aint no mountain high enough, aint no valley low enough to keep me from going there. in oblivion, it didnt feel as if the map was filled with unreachable, unusable areas that are there just to fill space. but, ive been having too many controles issues with skyrim to be able to play it without getting annoyed so i could be wrong about map size.

I felt the same way. Behold the mighty dragonborn, trapped in a giant snow globe. He killed Alduin, saved the damn world... and yet nobody gives a damn, with guards constantly telling him to go cast his fancy magic someplace else. Nice.

...Take your mods off Oblivion and play vanilla then come back and make this thread.

As I said in another thread, I prefer a thousand times vanilla Oblivion to vanilla Skyrim. In fact I recently played Oblivion again (without mods, having deleted my mods collection in anticipation of Skyrim's release) and I still think it's much better than Skyrim - playability-wise of course, because it's a 6 years old game so you can't compare its graphics to a recent game. And don't forget the "amazing features" many of you love in Skyrim are nothing more than ports of the best mods we had in Oblivion.

At the base level I think Skyrim is the best game for me. It has improved the endlessly generic areas that are just randomly generated which was an amazing thing back in daggerfall but not now and they made interactions again not as redundant or at least quest wise. I love the pillar puzzles and the books that give you clues and keys and such. Hoping for more of that when the CK comes out. And the quest system has been improved so it ialso is not as generic. Of course it needs much work but it is improved imo from previous titles.

I love all the games but I feel like skyrim has me immersed the most and that is because of the geography. I like the isolation of it.

Also without MODs to add on top of these great base games they are not the greatest. So without MODs I probably wouldnt be that into TES games for more than one play through.

For people complaining about mountains. What do you expect in the north?

You can still create a mountainous region without having to fill the map with unreachable places - especially since it's meant to be played, not explored by scientists using satellite shots.

Remember how Skyrim's regions were supposed to be hand crafted vs Oblivion's randomly generated areas? I wonder......

Edited by Einarth

Oblivion was a great modding platform, I spent more time playing quest mods than I did playing Bethesda content. It was a terrible TES game, looked and felt nothing like Morrowind, it was basically a generic fantasy setting with some TES lore tacked on.

Skyrim feels like a true sequel to Morrowind, it has the same aesthetics, the same sort of racial and cultural conflicts, ruins all over the place that feel both alien and yet connected to the world (don't talk to me about the sterile nonsense that was the Ayleid ruins in Oblivion). The game has major flaws but compared to vanilla Oblivion it's leaps ahead.