To everybody whining about SSE not looking beatiful...

Nasdar210

I think you have the bloom problem too, Magnaclub/Kesta mentioned to lower it in default settings to get it a bit sharper and less "bloomy".

If you can nail interiors I'm sold.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a fan of classic JRPG, so game script, fun and mechanics always matter most for me. The rest is candy.

That been said, I like what you are trying to do with that reallistic lighting. I fully support the idea that the game has to look like you are watching things with your own eyes, not through a lens.

A thing that happens when a cloud shadows the view is that it becomes less bright and loses warm colours. But then, our eye corrects the brightness, and what we perceive is just slightly darker and less saturated colours. I have never seen this effect in a videogame (usually they show always a saturated palette for funny games, or unsaturated otherwise).

Other thing is that our brain makes that HDR camera effect all the time, so we don't really have those 'too much dark' places that can be seen with ELFX. Even in dark interiors, we usually recognize the shapes, but the red colours of objects are completely gone. Night exteriors are rarely pitch black, it may happen inside a thick forest, or in cloudy nights far from cities, but usually we can see things in a silvery light.

This brings me back to the first time I did too much immersion. Not wearing a lantern on such places, or having to look for one, stopped the fun for me. It turned into work. The worst immersion thing for me was the camera that moved with the hero's head (yes, our head is moving, but the brain keeps the image steady for us). But I disgress.

On the OP subject, I really cannot complain for the free improvements (other than now we have to wait until mods are ported), and I never thought Skyrim was ugly. The views and objects seemed ok, maybe not gorgeous, but did their work. What I cannot stand is the face models. People really look ugly and this is not a matter of polygons or low res textures. It's best if most people look normal, some ugly and some beutiful. Now, with body/face replacement mods everyone looks pretty, which isn't ideal, but is certainly better.

Yeah, I wasn't too upset about the graphics either. The environment really doesn't need to look hyper-realistic to me. Kind of annoyed the human characters looked... alien... but other than that it's alright.

And of course, because we have mod accessibility, anything that could potentially have bothered me was already fixed.

Edited by LtSurge

SSE has no parallax and looks modded not half as good as a good modded Skyrim. This needs to be patched!!!

Everybody who says somesomething else just has no clue about modding.

SSE has no parallax and looks modded not half as good as a good modded Skyrim. This needs to be patched!!!

Everybody who says somesomething else just has no clue about modding.

Oh boy, if someone says something that this guy doesn't agree with they know nothing about modding!!

I can't agree to that Skyrim Classic looks better modded than SSE looks modded right now. I managed to make Special Edition look very good with noticeable fewer mods than the old one. And I bet that SE will look fab when SKSE is out and the new mods adapted for it will start to drop in at Nexus.

On the other hand I might be wrong as I do not know anything about modding. :wink:

And what SE have given us is as said far better stability and a steadier fps since update 1.3. And not the least a better platform for serious modding.

Edited by goranpaa

Thanks to the original poster for summing this up.

I wrote on another forum that I thought the graphics were greatly improved. I went on to say that the best thing for me is that it simply doesn't crash.

I had a few 'buggy' issues at first with it, mainly around flickering, especially of drawn weapons. Also Mining ore was unpredictable in that my character would not mine the ore at all or stop part way through. I'd already downloaded the legendary patch at this time

These bugs have gone now, so I'm very impressed with the game.

Another big plus for me is that the save files are way smaller.