What is your least favorite thing about Skyrim.

KennethKarl

End game, exploration, and scaling. Leveling smithing gives you the best weapons in the game and that makes exploration really pointless. Why explore a new cave when you already have daedric weapons? The artifact weapons should be the best weapons in the game but they are not even though you need high level smithing to enhance them past flawless to lengendary. Enemies stop scaling past level 50 and if you are an explorer you will hit lvl 50 around the time you have explored half of the map. After level 50 you would expect to see enemies with gear above steel/fur, but no same old enemies you can 1/2 shot.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

End game, exploration, and scaling. Leveling smithing gives you the best weapons in the game and that makes exploration really pointless. Why explore a new cave when you already have daedric weapons? The artifact weapons should be the best weapons in the game but they are not even though you need high level smithing to enhance them past flawless to lengendary. Enemies stop scaling past level 50 and if you are an explorer you will hit lvl 50 around the time you have explored half of the map. After level 50 you would expect to see enemies with gear above steel/fur, but no same old enemies you can 1/2 shot.

Solution 1: Don't use smithing. I kid you not - it works!

Solution 2: Play on master and do not improve gear. The game is still hard at higher level.

Solution 3: Play a destruction mage. Level 40+ will be a nightmare.

And I rather prefer bandits at level 70 using fur and iron, over what we had in Oblivion: random bandits going in legendary dadreic. How is that even possible? I hardly see a bandit running into any Oblivion Gates.

Quests have no impact on the world

Grabbing system blows

Dialogue is completely shallow at best

THERE'S NO BATTLES!

There's suppose to be a war going on, where are the battles for territory? Don't give me the "Follow the Civil War quests" killing 10 NPCs that are designed to die in one hit as they run up a hill isn't a war...

I'm going to teach myself how to mod and make one where battles actually occur and troops actually move across the map and make it so each battle gets harder and larger as they get closer to the Solitude or Windhelm. This is WAR dangit!

THERE'S NO BATTLES!

There's suppose to be a war going on, where are the battles for territory? Don't give me the "Follow the Civil War quests" killing 10 NPCs that are designed to die in one hit as they run up a hill isn't a war...

I agree with everything else you named, but there are random skirmishes in the wilderness when you hit the roads. That was one of the pleasant surprises when I already had some agro about the impactless questlines.

Just to add one thing: The AI really is amongst the finest ever invented for a game. This is the second time that some random bandit went berserk on a chicken when I sneak killed his buddy. Sure, genius, the chicken has put an arrow through the other guy. Obviously they are programmed to simply attack anything that moves.

Edited by abaris

This is how I see it.

Things Oblivion Got Better:

• Cities - they're all walled, unique, and memorable. Every single one is memorable. The Imperial City was just absolutely great with it's circle design cut up into different sections. Every city sort of had it's own color scheme to it, which leads me to my next point.
  • Guards - They all had their own uniform designs, their shields were sometimes different shapes, you could see their faces, etc. All of the guards wear the same helmets in Oblivion, just like in Skyrim, but at least you could see their faces. Also, you could talk to the guards and get directions, hear rumors, etc.
  • Guilds - I've only played the Thieves' Guild in Skyrim, but I've found it to be too short and not as cool as it was in Oblivion. In Oblivion, the Thieves' Guild was all about stealing from the rich and protecting the poor. It was also VERY secretive. Most people believed it didn't even exist in the world. That was awesome. In Skyrim, instead of everyone fearing the Theives' Guild, and being apprehensive about them, everyone finds them to be a nuisance. It also seems as if everyone knows about them too. I don't know about the other guilds in Skyrim, but I always hear other players say how they are short too. I will say that the story behind the Thieves' Guild was great in Skyrim, though.
  • The Journal - I loved how in Oblivion, after you completed checkpoints in a quest, the journal windows would pop up and give you an update. I felt more connected with everything. It was also seemed like the journal entries were written better.
  • Classes - Being able to choose a certain class to go by is a much better format. In Oblivion, you could choose the class you wanted to be, and whichever major skills that class had, those would level up the fastest. You could still pretty much excel at every skill in Oblivion, so it wasn't that great, but at least there was a set path and you had a name for yourself. In my opinion (in Skyrim), you should choose your major skills, and then every other skill cannot be leveled up at all, and if they can, it is very slow and no perks can be selected for them.

Things Skyrim Got Better:

• Combat - Fighting enemies is a lot more fun in this game. From the kill cams, to the way your weapons swings, to the spells, to the assassinations, etc. It's just a lot more enjoyable, and I love everything about it.
  • Magic - Magic isn't always about combat, and I find this area much better in Skyrim. The spells are easier and more and fun to use, plain and simple.
  • Graphics & Design - The world simply looks amazing. When I first saw the water, I was shocked at how great it looked. The armors looks great, the weapons look great, everything is designed very nicely. The spells too. I'm still amazed at how the electricity flows around your hand when you have the spell resting there.
  • Immersion - I guess some could argue this with some of the points I've seen in this thread, but I feel the Immersion is better in this game. More people seem to be doing tasks, like wood chopping, smithing, alchemy, sweeping, etc. The conversations between people are better too. They don't always talk about mudcrabs and how vile they are. The flowing rivers, the dead bodies floating down rivers, waterfalls, bards singing at inns, marriage, the animations - they're all great.
  • Crafting - And yes, some could argue this part too. I understand opinions differ between all of us, but I feel Skyrim excels at this, and it's quite obvious. While the crafting (alchemy, smithing, enchanting) have some issues, it's great fun from what I've experienced. I like how you have to discover the effects of ingredients by consuming them, and learning an enchantment required you to disenchant something. It's more in depth.

I guess I could list more, but I don't feel like it. And yes, many of you may not agree with these, but the thread is about opinions.

Just one? When there is such a richness of choice:

- The horrible UI

- Steam

- That Skyrim is basically Oblivion with little innovation

- Repetitive quests

- Under-powered quest reward items and over-powered self enchanted/smithed items

- All this Nordic snow everywhere terrain and the NCP's sounding like an Arnie Schwazenegger impersenator

- Explore but how? Everywhere is mountains. Its look for the single mountain pass type of exploration which isnt really exploration

- Ridiculous horse physics

- Lake of playtesting and bug fixing before release

- Dumbed down nature of it for the console imbeciles

- Too much hand holding with quests

- Dungeons all full of the same creatures, played a couple, played them all

- Dreadful shadows with multiple light sources

- Shopkeepers have too little gold

- Useless levelling system

- Too many dragons, a few are fun, but the things are everywhere

- Shouts, the game pretending its something new when its just another spell

- Followers, its a solo game, why allow followers?

- Bethesdas attitude regarding bugs and patches

- How can it be real time combat when you can stop it mid swing, slug some potions, change armor, change weapons, read a book, go have coffee, come back and complete swing.

- Lack of NPC disposition and all NPC's seem basically to have the same attitude and disposition

- Lack of any attempt at humour and levity

- Too many side-quests and too short a main quest

Well, if its just one then its a close call between Steam and the UI, let's call it a draw, both suck big time, as does the game really.

- That Skyrim is basically Oblivion with little innovation

Hey, at least Bethesda realized that we want more of the same experience. Other developers miraculously manage to get this wrong. Look at how horrible Dragon Age 2 was and tell me you aren't glad Skyrim didn't get completely dumbed down (even more than it already is, but then again, Oblivion was dumbed down as well).

And I rather prefer bandits at level 70 using fur and iron, over what we had in Oblivion: random bandits going in legendary dadreic. How is that even possible? I hardly see a bandit running into any Oblivion Gates.

I always put that down to the fault of the player spamming the traders with loot. It's bound to depress prices, so even the lowliest NPC, can kit himself out with the best gear!

In my opinion (in Skyrim), you should choose your major skills, and then every other skill cannot be leveled up at all, and if they can, it is very slow and no perks can be selected for them.

Good idea.

Medieval northern Europeans speaking with a modern American accent using words that didn't exist 150 years ago [ie hi and hello]. Race/nation specific voice actors should have been used.

The dungeons, I like them, I think they are a improvement to TES4 in every way, but I think that certain ruins like Blackreach could have been so much better and expansive given the correct amount of time. The content that is there is fine, but there are certain things that just seem cut short or unfinished.