ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Possibilities of moving clothing/hair?

AdoringFansBiggestFan

89 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want animated clothing/hair?

• yes
    • no
    • I don't care

I was just wondering what possibilities we have of moving clothing/hair in Skyrim. I know we could do it with skeletons and animations, but is there a way that doesn't require that? Could we not do it using ragdoll physics or jiggle bones? By the way, I've never done any meshing or anything, so I probably couldn't do it, I was just wondering what the possibilities are. I also don't know if there are any other methods either.

Well, I was wondering what possibilities we had for Skyrim. And the thing about those wigs are that they aren't actually animated. They just move with the body. I was wondering if we could actually have hair that either moves by itself (using physics or something), or if not, has its own animations.

forget the real time physics idea.

Because hair is actually rigged in skyrim, that means you can have something like Growlf's hair, not only as wigs, but as actual hair.

The step up from that which is also now entirely possible because of that, is to add a ponytail bone chain to the skeleton, What you would do is create some constraints on those bones, then import/run through a bunch of the standard animations while doing a reactor sim on that bone chain. Then bake it to keyframes, probably tweak it some and export. It would look quite good imo. Sure it's still canned animation on the hair, but it would really be animated.

Ready go!!!

Edited by Ghogiel

I actually expected real physics on the clothes - not in the Batman Arkham City Style but at least like they did in Two Worlds II.

forget the real time physics idea.

Could you please give more detailed reasons, why this shouldn't be possible?

If I'm not completely wrong, we had some mods in Oblivion which added physics to some banners. So we could just put some physics aware banner on the back of the player for a simple cloak.

Same for the hair - just hide the original hair and use a physic aware hair-prop instead.

If we have access to the current player move speed & direction, more or less simple calculations may be possible.

jm2c

I had kind of accepted that there would be no real-time physics. What would be really cool is if someone were to release a mod that were to add bones to the clothing (dresses, cloaks, etc) soon, that way mods could use them. It would be really nice if animated clothing were to become the standard for clothing mods in Skyrim.

If I'm not completely wrong, we had some mods in Oblivion which added physics to some banners. So we could just put some physics aware banner on the back of the player for a simple cloak.

Same for the hair - just hide the original hair and use a physic aware hair-prop instead.

If we have access to the current player move speed & direction, more or less simple calculations may be possible.

jm2c

there are flags in oblivion that are skinned to a bone chain with constraints, and chains and other stuff. And the same is true in Skyrim.

the difference is that in oblivion, havok was disabled on all live actors. If the character was under the control of animation havok was disabled. which means your idea of slapping a banner on as a cloak doesn't work in practice.

It MIGHT be possible to enable havok on live actors in skyrim, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Edited by Ghogiel

Hmmm... if it isn't, could we not add something similar to a jiggle affect to clothing like some body meshes in Oblivion used?

Well you wouldn't want to do it like how the fake jiggle is done in Ob. which was simply rigging the left boob to the right foot bone a very small amount. I'm strugging to think of a any way that would look good on hair, like what bones would you rig it to... :confused:

The best way is like I mentioned earlier, editing the character animations and skeleton. add extra bones to the character rig and use a physics sim on it to get the animation looking decent then bake it out. Once it's under way it should plod along.

Now we just ave to get someone to do it, and not go stupid and add bones for extra arms and stupid crap, none of this silly super skeleton, just some hair bones and maybe a couple other bones while there, something usable.