The war of top 100

ThePriest909

I meant that one of those requirements has to be met before that person can RATE a mod. People could comment as soon as they please. You don't have to rate something to get your point across, if its a mod that ruined your save just comment it. The idea behind the 'download a certain amount of mods' idea is that people can only really be trusted to know what they mean when they rate is if they have a little bit of experience with mods. I've seen people who rate mods as 1 star (here, and on other sites) because they don't know how to install the mod, or refused ot read the readme.

So... what's the point...

Are we all going to forget about this and let those loosers do whatever they like with the top 100 list ,

should we all make fake acounts....... what? We need a damn solution.

There are damn too many fake profiles out there....

I'm personnally not so worried about a few bad ratings. Aside from ego, the only reason ratings matter is;to help newbies make choices when chosing mods. Most people who have been around a while will read comments in many places about which mods are good and which are crap anyway.

But if I were worried - I think a good approach would be to weight each person's ratings based on some formula of how many good/bad ratings they have given. For example,

Weight = total rating value / total rating count.

So, if I've given 10 perfect ratings, my weight is 10. If I've given 5 perfect ratings and 5 crappy ratings, my weight is more like 5. Then, when you compute the mod ratings, you compute:

rating = total (each rating * each weight) / total of weights.

What this would mean is - if you want your ratings to have the most weight, don't give bad ratings, just ignore the bad mods. But if you think a mod is really bad, you give up a bit of your overall weight to tell the modder how bad it is.

You could make the formula fancier if you want to weight more experience, etc., but I think you don't want to get overly complicated. But honestly, I don't mind it like it is. The formula for adjusting based on average value of all ratings is ok as it is.

I've had a handful of undeservedly low ratings for Rhianna, but the high number of good ratings balance it out. Plus some of the comments with the low ratings have pointed out real flaws that I needed to fix.

-Jumonji

So... what's the point...

Are we all going to forget about this and let those loosers do whatever they like with the top 100 list ,

should we all make fake acounts....... what? We need a damn solution.

There are damn too many fake profiles out there....

You are being over dramatic and it is getting annoying. I have already said if you suspect members of having multiple accounts to give bad ratings you should PM names to me or the file moderators for investigation.

Dark0ne, sorry if I have become annoying but someone had to...

I've been a member for quite some long and I have never made any similar posts before.

I made this one though because I've been asked to by people having the same problem and disagreement as me....

I've been expecting a better solution, not a fight.

But... You're the boss here...

If you think I've been overdramatic... There's nothing else I can do or say...

keep up the good job.

-ThePriest909

Dark0ne, sorry if I have become annoying but someone had to...

I've been a member for quite some long and I have never made any similar posts before.

I made this one though because I've been asked to by people having the same problem and disagreement as me....

I've been expecting a better solution, not a fight.

But... You're the boss here...

If you think I've been overdramatic... There's nothing else I can do or say...

keep up the good job.

-ThePriest909

The solution offered is for you to report suspicious activity and we'll investigate it.

Seems a fine solution to me as well. Appears he just wants more direct action and more "now" action, rather than having to do the 'work' himself and report what he considers suspicious activity - for if he's wrong and just wanting to bash those that give poor ratings, it may turn out that he's the one wrong.

I won't deny there may very well be those with multiple profiles doing this sort of thing, but if I suspsect, I will report - same as anyone.

It would be good to appoint one or more respected 'in-house' reviewers who are willing to play-test a tremendous amount of mods and offer their opinions. With a group of such reviewers you get to know what they like much more and they wouldn't have to submit lengthy reviews if you respected their opinions.

Furthermore, if the idea was tested and proved successful at these forums then perhaps this way of rating mods can be incorporated into the 'Top 100' system by counting their opinions higher along with those of experienced people who have been around these forums for a while, as per a previous suggestion.

The problem with this would be that the mod would always have a 100 percent rating. If 10 people download a mod, but only two of them like it, the mod will still show 100 percent because the other 8 folks were not able to give it a rating.

...but were not looking at opinion scale, just number of votes. Like a polling booth. If it work for politics it will work for mods. So, yes all votes are 100%, so the rating is how many 100% votes are recieved. A good mod will get more votes than an average one. When people look at the votes panel, they will just see that one mod got, say, 100 votes, while another only got 50. A seperate scale, could be made proportionate to the number of DL's. Say if a new, but excellent modder came on the scene. He/she will suffer the initial DL drag, and get 20 DL's but 15 votes. Then that could be a 75% rating. That will give the new modder a chance to compete.

There is a very simple solution to this problem.

In order for any system to work well and be easily implemented it needs to be simple. The math needs to be relatively simple, or easy to understand rules or a easy system. It should be automatic, no decision making by any person, including the admin. You also should understand that it needs to have multiple functions, such as helping a average lurker on this site.

My idea of a system to counteract these acts (if they indeed happen on a regular basis) is this: Have 2 lists.

The first one is the stereo typical top 100 of all time. however, it needs a very simple change to the math. All it needs to do is that when a mod reaches #1, and stays there for one week, it cannot raise anymore. Basically, if that mod falls to #2, it cannot rise again. This helps to refresh the list somewhat. After two months it is taken off the list completely.

The second list is like a legacy. This list consists of all the fallen #1 mods. helps keep those old but good mods in their own category. possibly could be called "legendary mods". A mod would be put in this list after it 2 months is up or after it falls from the top ten after hitting the #1 spot and staying there for one week.

Cons: (No system is perfect):

Still allows abusive voters

requires some coding

one more list to sort through

may create battle for the new list

Timing may need to have some trial + error

Pros:

helps keep new top mods circulating

no need to keep your mod in the top spot. If it has already reached the top, your are safe.

simple

Helps lurkers like me.

It should be noted that under no circumstances should anyone ever get rid of a one man one vote rule. never. Also, it could be implemented that a mod must have a minimum number of voters and downloads in order to break into the top 10. this number could also be found through trial and error.

Archived