Want a non-lethal way to defeat enemies.

Darksun45230

It's obvious the developers wanted you to be evil from the start.

With the Stormcloaks, Skyrim is for the Nords.

With the Empire, Skyrim is for the High Elves.

With the Dark Brotherhood, everyone dies.

With the Thieves Guild, everyone steals.

And with the Daedra, everyone's a follower.

A wise man once said:

http://imgur.com/r/gaming/Gasuw

So, aside from quest content, there are plenty of things built in the mechanics that turn you into a killing machine I want to address.

a) I want to be able to beat my enemies into surrendering rather than murdering them outright. I should have the option to spare a Bandit/Soldier's life when they surrender. There should be a system in place that earns the player bonus points (mercy points?) for doing so.

b) Restoration spells like Curse -- transforming beasts or monsters (and maybe humaniods) into undead -- making them vulnerable healing spells. Exorcise to release the souls of the undead and anything trapped in Soul Gems (possibly gaining Mercy points.) An added balance would be to make certain Undead essential so we'd need to exorcise them in order to defeat them (like Red Skeletons from Castlevania.)

c) Tranquilizing arrows to put to sleep routed enemies ensuring they don't rise up and attack you again or Illusion spells that do just that.

d) Merciful questing options: it has come to my attention that potentially innocent people are harmed during the quests. While some circumstances may be impossible to avoid (the final mark for example) there are various examples of people you should be able to spare. For example, what if I agree with the principles of the Dark Brotherhood as a Chaotic Good Knight but dislike that I'm bound to always murder? Why isn't there an option to spare people that may or may not be innocent, telling them the Dark Brotherhood wants them dead, and telling them to hide. There will always be baddies to slay, why harm the innocents too?

Here are a list of potential ways Mercy points could be applied:

* Mercy empowers certain Dragon Shouts (Custom ones like AoE Exorcise or Curse).

* Mercy empowers pious weaponry and equipment (Ex: Dawnbreaker).

* Mercy empowers Restoration spells (Ex: Stronger healing, Wards, ect.)

These are just some ideas I'm throwing out there.

I agree. There are a few things in the game already if you want to play around.

A mage focusing on Illusion can be funny, calming and fearing enemies and convincing them to rage on each other etc.

Still gives the evil feel though, what it sounds like your after is a merciful way out.

A restoration equivalent of calm would be handy, if an emeny is low on health it will calm or fear them for X seconds.

That way you would still need to beat the enemy up, but then your Merciful Turn spell would be super effective (actually work) and make the enemy chill or run.

Though really the functions are in the game already. Just ignore the red dots on your radar (the moving xp containers) and carry on with the quest.

Nice to stroll through a dwemer mission by Pacifying the machines, makes the deadric armour seem a waste :P

As I see it: there is no mercy in the Morrowind setting.

Those you like to show mercy at are after YOUR head, as well.

For me: I am the Ronin type, I only draw my sword when others do, I never strike first, either, unless I have to deal with a Mage.

If you show mercy, he will again come after you, better equipped.

An enemy that can stand up, is twice as dangerous, imho.

Just my thoughts...

Thats one of the things i dislike about this game. The thieves guild and DB are just A-holes now. Especially the thieves guild. They extort people for money now? What happened to stealing from the rich and giving to the dirt poor beggars. I felt awful when I started the thieves guild quest line for the first time. The companions are no different with their dark arts. It's pretty much impossible to play as a good character unless you plan on skipping a bunch of quests. As for killing bandits, since the murder, harm and even rape innocent people (if you talk to a certain NPC, you'll see this world isn't sugar coated), I find it necessary to kill them, but not guards, soldiers, and other enemies. I also hate how every single bear feels the need to attack everything.

Why do I get the impression you never tried to pet a hungry grizzly, or a Sabretooths cub with it's mother nearby, or visited a wolf den?

In some cases you can be ignored, in many however, not really.

Wild animals are just that: wild.

Again: in the "Dark Ages", there was not really something as mercy.

It was in nearly every situation either your head rolling down the road, or that of the other.

And believe me: YOU would have done about anything to make sure it was not your basketball bumping around on that road....

first post in the forum.

I have to agree with Darksun45230.

I came to forum looking for a mod that could be applied to make the Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary a player owned location (because I intend on destroying it). I've also been searching for a any mod that might allow me to turn the thieves guild (through a quest line) in to what it is in Oblivion (all my Oblivion characters are members of the Thieves guild).

The "yield" option would be a great implement, and I've even seen a sabre cat yielding... weird. But it would be great to make use of that.

(btw, if any modder likes the idea of making Sanctuary a player controlled zone after the quest "Destroying the Brotherhood I'm all for it :))

I noticed this a lot during gameplay, whenever you get a bandit to low health he'll yell something like " I Yeild, I Yeild!" or "Please don't kill me!" And I sheath my weapons, but in 4 seconds or so he just gets back up and continues combat. There should be an AI system where if you dominated them really hard in combat they accept that they're insignificant and puny lifeforms and scurry off to die another day. If you do more than 50% of their health in damage on one hit then they just drop and beg for mercy or retreat or something, and if you sheath your weapons they should stop combat and not be hostile and run away. I can understand them getting back up and fighting if during combat they actually stood a chance, but with my current character tearing through entire bandit camps with one hit one kill, having these losers think they can win if they just get 5 seconds to recuperate doesn't make any sense.