⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Advice on spellsword build

sweagle

Edit: To clarify (like I have near the end of this post), I appreciate getting tips on building a good spellsword, I'm just trying to sort that out with including some things I'd like to have with a spellsword build.Here is a build: http://skyrimcalculator.com/#156197 Would taking a character in this direction be worthwhile? Or would I just set myself up for difficulties at later levels. I don't even know how high I'll take this character's level. I have no experience in crafting a spellsword, but I'm just looking for something that would be fun to play. I know this isn't the most effective spellsword build (no robes plus no HA helmet, boots, and gauntlets and no dragon priest masks), but I want to create a certain kind of spellsword just on the basis of what appeals to me.
Ok, I'd debate Soul Squeezer, and Bladesman. The former actually retards your Enchanting XP from charging weapons, which is where I get most of my levels in it, as I only use the Enchanter for making stuff I'm actually going to use. Bladesman, well, I'd specialize a little more, and IMNSHO, that's the most useless of those perks. Hack&Slash is my favorite, but only "better" for the way I play. Bone Breaker is just as better, though you'll find most NPCs don't benefit from armor as much as you'd think, and you only have 2 points in it.

Also, you have Fire, and Frost Enchanter, and Augment Flames/Shock. I don't generally invest in any of the advanced elemental perks (and when I do, I prefer deep freeze) but this cross specialization confuses me. You know Augment, and Enchanter stack, right? So your Fire enchantment will be twice as stronger, while the frost/shock, which is generally weaker/more expensive, won't. The only reason I could conceive of for this discrepancy is for an Absorb Stamina effect (from the Drainheart swords) but if you're just using that for the next power attack, 1 point is enough, so you can save that perk. Just saying, is all. I personally would save on Intense Flames, and Disintegration, but it's your build.

And finally, you might want to look long, and hard at Dual Flurry/Savagery. A spellsword, especially in full heavy is not going to be able to avoid getting cornered, or surrounded forever. Times likeat, I like to drop in a Drainheart Sword, and spam the power attack for quick clearing. The DHS weighs less than most daggers, and the stamina recover means you can keep whirling indefinitely. You can also use the left reposte power attack to stagger a blocker, and immediately get the stamina back. With Dual Flurry(2) it's increadibly quick. That's just 3 perks, as opposed to all the Block you'd need to make a shield effective.

[edit] Rather than double-post, I thought I'd add an unique variant using Conjuration, instead of destruction. Bound Sword, and Spectral Arrow {`player.addspell ab23d` or you can `help spectral' to bring up the code) is the initial combo, and then Flaming Familiar later on, not to mention Atronachs, and Dremora Lords for friends. Spectral Arrow is pretty OP, for the spell cost. It only ever does 30 damage, but it Staggars like Impact, so you can stunlock, or set them up for a finishing strike. The low damage makes it of marginal use later in the game, when a good shield, and Bash perks do more damage, but not at a distance. Still handy to interrupt a hovering Dragon before he finishes his Shout. Oh, and it's completely blocked by any Ward if it reaches full charge. Mostly just a survival spell until you can beat up Vokun, and for some offense at a distance against archers, and dragons on the wing.

Later, you can add Destruction for Augment Flames, and Illusion up to Aspect of Terror to get the fireball on legs to do more damage. Heavy Armor (around robes) is also nice for some toughness, but you don't want to weigh yourself down too much. As usual, I prefer Handaxes for the Hack&Slash perk. Breton, Altmer, and Redguard are all good choices for various reasons. (Fire resistance, Magicka/Speed, and Adrenaline Rush, respectively.)[/edit]

Edited by Psiberzerker

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, how about a similar build with some changes: http://skyrimcalculator.com/#157329

Going back to light armor for mobility. Will use chain mail armors from a couple of mods (one of them using advanced armors) and then move up to mithril armor (from a mod). I don't know if I will put all those perks into light armor. The mithril armor mod is new, but the mod author wants to make it have the armor rating of glass armor. Perhaps with three perks in agile defender I can get the mithril armor to the armor cap (with some fortify smithing apparel and store bought smithing potions).

I can go mainly with a sword and then break out a mace for foes with heavy armor (I like doing things this way). I'm playing a character that mainly uses a war axe, so I'd like to have fun with some different one-handed weapons. You say I should skip bladesman, right? Should I put the perks into bone breaker? I will have some fortify one-handed apparel, btw. I have a mod that allows for multiple pendants and rings (I go with only two rings that effect combat at a time, and only two pendants that effect combat at a time, and I don't stack effects unless it is from one ring and one pendant).

I got rid of soul squeezer. Having five out of five in enchanter is enough for me. Might take a long time to get to level 80 in enchanting for it, too. But what I mean about what I just said is that I don't need the middle branch of the enchanting tree. Do you think I should do the left branch of the enchanting tree, too? Would I really need those perks, or should I just put effects on my weapons that absorb magicka instead? Should I use an absorb magicka sword on magic wielding foes and then just use weapons with absorb health or absorb stamina on other foes? Preferably weapons with absorb health as an effect? Also, I got rid of intense flames and disintegrate. I have deep freeze. Should I put perks in fire, ice, and lightning magic? Is there one I can do without? Is it good to have all three?

Also, if you recommend it, I could install a mod for ward spells. What it does is when you use a ward spell to block a physical attack, it won't increase protection from the attack, but it will knock back opponents. http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/10828