[WIP] Weapon Addition and Replacement Suite (WARS)

antistar

Huzzah. I am all for focusing on calibers that are not to rare. It'd get annoying fast to have multiple pages on my pipboy for various ammos. Probably the reason I loved fallout new vegas system. It had a nice mix of ammo types but not so many I'd pull out my hair sorting it.

To be fair, what I most recall from that game ammo wise, is using my 50 cal and considering which type of ammo to use per enemy. Cheap ammo vs weak ammo, ap ammo against death claws etc.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the sort of thing I'm aiming for with WARS, too; those tactical (and logistical) decisions about which ammo sub-types to carry and use. JHP for un-armoured, AP for armoured, EMP for robots/vehicles, incendiary for some crowd control, etc.

For a minor update, I just implemented the Laser Musket. In WARS it doesn't require ammo - a bit like the Recharger weapons in New Vegas, but here you turn the crank to charge it. It only does half the base damage of a regular AER laser weapon, though - at least on a single crank. You can still crank it up to however many times the receiver level allows for, in order to boost the damage.

I also changed its automatic receiver to be a Trigger Group option; so now you can have select-fire Laser Muskets, switching between manual and auto with the Fire Mode hotkey.

BGS had specifically set automatic Laser Muskets to be player-only (via a property on the OMOD), but I'm not sure why. I removed that limitation, and from some quick testing, it seems like NPCs can use it just fine?

Anyway, before that I implemented the Walther PPK - WARS adding that in as the standard variant of the unique Deliverer. It uses .380 ACP in WARS, like the real thing - not the far too large 10mm, as in vanilla. Deliverer is still in there, as a unique Legendary.

I think probably the majority of the tutorial is done, but definitely not all of it. Something I'm not covering in it - at least for now - is how to add new ammo types. I talk about that a bit in the tutorial intro, and I'll paste that in here, actually:

This tutorial does not currently cover how to add new ammo types to WARS' system. The ammo setup in WARS is quite complicated, and it takes a lot of work to give a new calibre/type the same range of features as the existing ammo types. E.g. multiple ammo sub-types, the framework to support those sub-types, factory machine crafting, perk mag/s unlocking sub-type crafting, etc.

If there's a lot of demand for it, I can see if I'll have time to add that to the tutorial, but it would take a lot to describe it all. If you happen to be interested in adding WARS support for a new ammo type, I'd encourage you to first have a look at the WARS plugin/s to see how it's handled. You may be able to work it out without a tutorial.

The ideal would (usually?) be to have new ammo types be part of WARS itself, so that multiple weapon mod support patches could make use of the same ammo type – or for there to be something like an add-on for WARS that adds a bunch of new ammo types and acts as a common master for other weapon mods/patches to use.

That would be a lot of work, though; I can't promise to do that myself, and I wouldn't ask/expect others to have time for it either.

(Having said all that, more basic support for new ammo types – such as just the framework to have multiple ammo sub-types and be able to swap between them – may be easier to manage. We'll see how things go.)

I'm not looking to cover obscure - or even relatively obscure - calibres just for the hell of it. Like, I don't think we really need .300 AAC Blackout in there just because it exists.

Some more common calibres that aren't currently covered by WARS though are (off the top of my head):

.22 LR

.32 ACP

9x18mm

.50 AE

5.45x39mm

9x39mm

7.62x54mmR

.30-06

(Some of those are more on the "common in computer games" side of things, but that's what we're talking about of course, so...)

Neat! Tks for the answer! I imagine there's probably going to be patches for some ammo types but not all, which will probably make some mods a liitle more complicated to implement, like the G11, whose 4.7mm is rare and obscure.

I should say that if a third-party weapon mod adds its own new ammo type, that will of course work with WARS. It's just that if it's only the one type - no "sub-types" as they're usually called in AmmoTweaks/WARS - the weapons using it may feel a bit limited compared to the other weapons in WARS that can swap between AP/JHP/Match/Tracer/etc.

Yeah, the problem is, I'll use the G11 as an example, the mod itself uses the vanilla 5mm ammo, because the author decided, rather obviously, to not go through the hassle of adding an unique ammo for just one gun. In this case, a patch would be even more complicated because you would need to not only add the ammo, but also do the art for it and adjust the technical aspects. Now there are several mods that add their own ammo type, the SIG MCX Spear and the MP7 for example, so it would be easier. Sorry for the long reply, just trying to lay my thoughts on paper, I plan on, at least trying, to make patches for myself, thats why I asked about the tutorial.

Yeah, the problem is, I'll use the G11 as an example, the mod itself uses the vanilla 5mm ammo, because the author decided, rather obviously, to not go through the hassle of adding an unique ammo for just one gun. In this case, a patch would be even more complicated because you would need to not only add the ammo, but also do the art for it and adjust the technical aspects. Now there are several mods that add their own ammo type, the SIG MCX Spear and the MP7 for example, so it would be easier. Sorry for the long reply, just trying to lay my thoughts on paper, I plan on, at least trying, to make patches for myself, thats why I asked about the tutorial.

Actually, if you (or anyone) wants to check out the WIP tutorial to get an idea of what'll be involved with making a support patch for WARS, I can probably put up a temporary download for it. (Using sendfile or whatever.) It's just a pdf file.

So from the video I'm guessing you won't be able to pick up the dropped magazines right?

You absolutely can pick the dropped magazines up; it's a key part of the system. :) You can see me doing it in the video. (Link for the sake of others reading along.)

The part where I leave the mags on the ground is just to demonstrate how they're cleaned up when you leave the area, and how you can then recover any mags, casings and ammo that was cleaned up that way, by using the Ammo Recovery Post.

Wow just took a look at the tutorial, exellent work! Damn, the quality is almost the same as the documentation we had on Oracle, great job man!