[WIP] Weapon Addition and Replacement Suite (WARS)

antistar

There are many guns that can be taken apart with a simple Allen wrench. I don't know if any are in WARS,but I know they exist.

A large number of 20th century military firearms, and possibly modern ones, were designed to be disassembled with nothing more than the bullet it fires. Getting specific, however, is beyond my knowledge.

I know that being easy to field-strip is an ideal - or even a requirement - for military firearms, but I don't know if that always necessarily equates to things like barrels and grips/stocks being easy to swap out in the same conditions. That's the part I'm really not sure about.

Hello Antistar, I saw the video of the final animation of the SA80 hitman and in a comment said something that this year will be ready WARS, you confirm it?

"Sometime this year" is a fairly safe estimate, but beyond that... please see the FAQ in the second post.

On that topic however; yeah, Hitman just sent me the finished animations for the SA80. (Note that the textures seen in the video are still the placeholder ones.) The Weapon Modification Kit (i.e. the TAS toolkit) is in and seems to be working fine, so today I'll look at getting the SA80 animations in. That involves setting up the animation subgraphs and doing some sound editing; that's the only reason it takes any appreciable amount of work on my part. ;)

A lot of the SA80 stuff is still placeholder, so I'll also need to do its textures (mostly just porting Tigg's textures to FO4 properly) and finish its implementation in the CK.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So if anyone has a good knowledge of the firearms being included in WARS (lookin' at you, kuzi127) and feels like letting me know if certain not-immediately-obvious weapon mods can be swapped out by hand, that would be great. If it would take a vice to do then that's too much, but yeah - by hand or with a small set of common tools seems reasonable.

(Rubs hands together in anticipation)

There's actually a lot of things you can remove/replace on many firearms with just a punch, hammer, and screwdriver. I would think twice (or even three times) about doing so out in a wasteland, let alone in combat. Also, fallout's attachment system isn't really representative of the ease of parts replacement beyond peripherals like those mentioned. If you need a visual aid/more info on something I'm not too familiar with, Forgotten Weapons really is a fantastic channel. The internet in general can be pretty helpful too with a bit of work. List is in the spoiler; it's only for confirmed replacements/alterations/additions. If I forgot anything or you add new stuff in the future, don't hesitate to ask.

Unless otherwise stated, barrels cannot be changed without tools. These would be in addition to the mentioned scopes, magazines, muzzles, etc. You may begin to notice a few trends going down the list.

Glock

Changing this to a full auto requires slide modification as well, not just changing the trigger assembly.

Hand: Just from a basic field strip you can change out the barrel and slide.

Tools: With a small punch available, you can change the trigger assembly by removing 3 pins. Sights can be changed with a punch if you're careful.

AR15

As modular as this gun is, Fallout's generalized attachment system doesn't really do it justice. The beauty of it is that you can split the receiver in half by hand, and swap out halves at will for whatever your requirements are. Swap out your precision trigger and adjustable stock on your sniper variant with a full auto lower and you've got yourself a light support weapon. Bring an extra upper with a heavy barrel/scope for your CQB carbine when you need the extra distance.

Hand: Stocks, but only collapsible ones can be changed by hand. Changing to a fixed stock requires new parts.

Tools: With a small punch, you can remove the trigger group. Changing from a semi auto only to a full auto requires new parts and machining however.

Mini-14

Hand: None

Tools: With a small punch, you can remove the trigger assembly, and afterwards the stock.

USAS-12

Not too familiar with this one. One thing to note is that it requires a stock to house the recoil spring.

PPK

Tools: With a screwdriver, you can change the grips. Afterwards, the slide can be removed. The barrel can be changed with a hammer & punch (I did it myself) but it needs to be precisely aligned when reinstalled, and requires a lot of time to remove.

AK

Tools: With a screwdriver, the stock and grip can be removed/changed.

R700

Tools: With a screwdriver, the stock and trigger group can be changed.

Minigun

None. This is a highly specialized weapon, meant to be mounted on vehicles and serviced by an armorer. The shredder attachment could probably be removed depending on how you attach it.

Thompson

Tools: With a screwdriver, you can remove the stock and handguard.

VSG

Not familiar with this one. I'd watch Forgotten Weapons' video on it.

Grenade launchers

Again, not really familiar; civilians don't have much need for them. I'd imagine you could remove the stocks with a screwdriver.

Mossberg 590

Tools: With a screwdriver, you can remove the stock and pump (required for disassembly to change the shell holder I think too).

L85

Not too familiar. IIRC from FW's video, not much can be changed (using fallout's system) even with hand tools.

Skorpion

Hand: You can fold/unfold the stock by hand (thankfully), as well as change the grips.

Tools: With a punch & hammer, you can remove the stock.

M107

This is disassembled fairly easily, but changing things fitting into fallout's attachment system beyond the obvious things requires more advanced tools.

Tools: None

Double barrel

Hand: You can remove the barrel assembly by hand to change it.

Tools: You can then separate the trigger/hammer assembly and the stock with a screwdriver.

.44 Revolver

Tools: With a screwdriver you can remove the grips.

Edited by kuzi127

Looking at how the Shredder's built,it appears to be two halves of an octagonal cage sleeve,joined on one side with hinges,and,presumably,a lock or latch of some sort opposite. So,I'd say it'd be simple to pull it off and put it back on by hand... On paper. The Shredder would likely be the single heaviest gun mod in the entire game,and be hazardous to transport,besides.

(Rubs hands together in anticipation)

There's actually a lot of things you can remove/replace on many firearms with just a punch, hammer, and screwdriver. I would think twice (or even three times) about doing so out in a wasteland, let alone in combat. Also, fallout's attachment system isn't really representative of the ease of parts replacement beyond peripherals like those mentioned. If you need a visual aid/more info on something I'm not too familiar with, Forgotten Weapons really is a fantastic channel. The internet in general can be pretty helpful too with a bit of work. List is in the spoiler; it's only for confirmed replacements/alterations/additions. If I forgot anything or you add new stuff in the future, don't hesitate to ask.

(snip)

Great - that's just what I needed; thanks very much. :) A few comments on how I think I'll handle it (let me know if something doesn't seem right to you):

I think I'll leave the AR-15 stocks as not swappable with the WMK, since it has that buffer tube to deal with. (Same with the USAS-12 since I treated its stocks the same way.) So far I've been trying to gloss over the concept of collapsible stocks in WARS. There's always been the possibility of implementing a hotkey that would toggle between collapsed/extended or folded/unfolded stocks (e.g. on the AR-15 and Mini-14), but it's kind of a pain to set up for something that doesn't have a huge gameplay impact. Maybe I'll ask isathar if one can be slipped into AmmoTweaks, since it already does that sort of thing and already has an MCM menu for hotkey assignments and whatnot. It would certainly make my life easier.

As it happens I still have the Forgotten Weapons video on the Volkssturmgewehr saved in my reference collection for WARS, and it mentions that the stock is riveted on. So I think I'll leave that one out too. ;)

All those other stocks though; that's good to know. I'll add those. I already had the pistol grips as swappable.

I'll add the double-barrel stocks and barrels too. I wonder if the M79 could be treated the same way; it seems to function a lot like a break-action shotgun - superficially, at least.

Looking at how the Shredder's built,it appears to be two halves of an octagonal cage sleeve,joined on one side with hinges,and,presumably,a lock or latch of some sort opposite. So,I'd say it'd be simple to pull it off and put it back on by hand... On paper. The Shredder would likely be the single heaviest gun mod in the entire game,and be hazardous to transport,besides.

To start with I imported the list that TAS uses for allowed loose mods, which was basically just a blanket "all muzzles, all scopes". There was one I removed, though I can't remember at the moment what it was. Not the Minigun Shredder weapon mod, anyway - I noticed the hinges and whatnot too.

I didn't really know what weight to give it, so it's 8 lb, just chosen out of the air. That puts it among the heavier weapon mods that aren't receivers, yeah.

I think this is one of the dangers of making up weights in pounds when you're used to kilograms. See, I hear "eight pounds" and think it sounds like a lot - but then if I convert it to metric it's like... oh, that's only three and a half kilos.

So yeah, I've bumped it up to 12 lb for now.

Correct on the AR stocks; you can take the actual stock off of the buffer tube by hand, but removing the tube itself (in order to change to between collapsible and fixed types) requires a specialized wrench.

Collapsible/folding stocks don't have too many actual benefits IRL. Their primary benefit is to reduce size for easier storage. Or, if the space you're in is so cramped that you actually can't maneuver your weapon with the stock deployed, in which case getting a good cheek weld and sight picture won't matter anyway (such as inside a vehicle).

The H&K CAWS came to mind when you went over why the USAS-12 was picked...it was in Fallout 2 anyway, but I think that with all its semi-auto firepower, the lack of attachments would make it very situational. Could be used for balancing though.

Mentioning the kilos and pounds reminds me of my attempt at converting everything in the game to metric weights, including encumbrance calculations and whatnot...stuff that lol, can't be bothered. Doubted simply converting imperial values in formulas to metric would also work as expected as well.

Correct on the AR stocks; you can take the actual stock off of the buffer tube by hand, but removing the tube itself (in order to change to between collapsible and fixed types) requires a specialized wrench.

Collapsible/folding stocks don't have too many actual benefits IRL. Their primary benefit is to reduce size for easier storage. Or, if the space you're in is so cramped that you actually can't maneuver your weapon with the stock deployed, in which case getting a good cheek weld and sight picture won't matter anyway (such as inside a vehicle).

Yeah, with the way the stats are right now in WARS, a collapsed stock would give you faster aim speed (and reduced VATS cost, for people who care about VATS), but the extended stock gives you better recoil control, accuracy and scope stability, so... not a lot to recommend using the stock collapsed. Maybe in super close-quarters.

If FO4 had a better inventory system - like 7.62 High Calibre or Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - where both weight and volume were important, being able to collapse stocks would be more useful.

The H&K CAWS came to mind when you went over why the USAS-12 was picked...it was in Fallout 2 anyway, but I think that with all its semi-auto firepower, the lack of attachments would make it very situational. Could be used for balancing though.

Mentioning the kilos and pounds reminds me of my attempt at converting everything in the game to metric weights, including encumbrance calculations and whatnot...stuff that lol, can't be bothered. Doubted simply converting imperial values in formulas to metric would also work as expected as well.

To mention CDDA again, I do find myself often wishing that FO4 followed CDDA's example in letting you toggle between imperial and metric units in the game options. It'd make things much easier.

As a side-note, I'd highly recommend CDDA to anyone who enjoys the crafting and survival aspects of (say) FNV and FO4. It's the best post-apocalyptic survival game I've ever played - and has the best crafting system I've ever seen. (Also it's a game I contributed to in the form of its included RetroDays graphical tileset.) It is an open-source, ASCII-based rogue-like though, so, er... kind of a steep learning curve.