[WIP] Weapon Addition and Replacement Suite (WARS)

antistar

There is more to come from heat and drought and sudden precipitation. Despite denials by people like Mr. Trump we have climate change, man-made climate change. And from what we can deduct today the goal of keeping average warming below 1.5 or 2 degrees Celsius will not succeed, unfortunately. At the time we have a warming under +1 degree Celsius compared to pre-industrial times, so we can expect some additional changes. Not necessary to panic or to adore some strange teenage future girls with their emotional agenda, but some looks at IPCC reports (extremely long, complicated and boring papers, ok) show the direction. It's called science btw, that's not to be confused with the beloved fake news.

I hope you and your loved ones will be fine and not further affected by the fires and such. Your devotion to WARS and PEACE under such conditions is exceptional, I'm not sure I would care for it in a similar situation (but we have it a bit wet and at 5 degree Celsius here where I live currently). :smile:

To WARS, I read a bit more about it again, as my focus of Fallout 4 changes momentarily from "extremely primitive (melee) world" to "primitive world, but guns". I have a heavily modded FO4 and many of the changes of WARS already incorporated (e.g. NPC and player health, recoil, physical projectiles), and I fear I could not use the whole WARS system, as for example I don't want any legendary effects in my game and have an aversion against NPC ammo use (tried several playthroughs with this feature, but always quitted/changed because it makes the world so much less dangerous in the end). Ammo use for player turrets would mean for me to give up the "scarcity of loot system" (I don't have ammo enough for myself most of the time) and probably also the enemy patrols (Endless Warfare and NPCs Travel, I would never play without) which create a lot of the FO4 flavour for me but cause constant fighting at settlements.

What I find the most intriguing would be a weapon jam and degradation/destruction system. It is not as necessary as an "armor destruction system", but would add some immersion and pressure to the player. I'm currently using "Manual Reload Simple" mod for jams and a "weapons and armor destruction mod" which is a bit over the top with destruction rates but helps to deal with the enormous amount of weapon and armor loot you get in FO4.

How will the weapons and features like ammo use be implemented? Like in vanilla, with leveled lists and flags on the weapons, so easily changeable? Or are scripts involved? In other words, could I customize WARS and adapt it to my system by making "moduls", with FO4Edit help for example?

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is more to come from heat and drought and sudden precipitation. Despite denials by people like Mr. Trump we have climate change, man-made climate change. And from what we can deduct today the goal of keeping average warming below 1.5 or 2 degrees Celsius will not succeed, unfortunately. At the time we have a warming under +1 degree Celsius compared to pre-industrial times, so we can expect some additional changes. Not necessary to panic or to adore some strange teenage future girls with their emotional agenda, but some looks at IPCC reports (extremely long, complicated and boring papers, ok) show the direction. It's called science btw, that's not to be confused with the beloved fake news.

I hope you and your loved ones will be fine and not further affected by the fires and such. Your devotion to WARS and PEACE under such conditions is exceptional, I'm not sure I would care for it in a similar situation (but we have it a bit wet and at 5 degree Celsius here where I live currently). :smile:

To WARS, I read a bit more about it again, as my focus of Fallout 4 changes momentarily from "extremely primitive (melee) world" to "primitive world, but guns". I have a heavily modded FO4 and many of the changes of WARS already incorporated (e.g. NPC and player health, recoil, physical projectiles), and I fear I could not use the whole WARS system, as for example I don't want any legendary effects in my game and have an aversion against NPC ammo use (tried several playthroughs with this feature, but always quitted/changed because it makes the world so much less dangerous in the end). Ammo use for player turrets would mean for me to give up the "scarcity of loot system" (I don't have ammo enough for myself most of the time) and probably also the enemy patrols (Endless Warfare and NPCs Travel, I would never play without) which create a lot of the FO4 flavour for me but cause constant fighting at settlements.

What I find the most intriguing would be a weapon jam and degradation/destruction system. It is not as necessary as an "armor destruction system", but would add some immersion and pressure to the player. I'm currently using "Manual Reload Simple" mod for jams and a "weapons and armor destruction mod" which is a bit over the top with destruction rates but helps to deal with the enormous amount of weapon and armor loot you get in FO4.

How will the weapons and features like ammo use be implemented? Like in vanilla, with leveled lists and flags on the weapons, so easily changeable? Or are scripts involved? In other words, could I customize WARS and adapt it to my system by making "moduls", with FO4Edit help for example?

Thanks - and like I was saying earlier, working on WARS/PEACE helps somewhat to keep my mind off things, which is important.

The changes I'm making aren't going to appeal to everyone of course, but here is my thinking behind the parts you mention:

Legendary weapons: Bugged me a lot in the base game too. Ideally you should be saying "hell yeah, a unique/special/legendary weapon!", rather than wincing because the game dropped a magic wand in your lap. I didn't remove Legendary effects entirely, but did replace most of them with effects that are at least somewhat more plausible. There's more info on that in the second post of the thread.

NPCs use ammo: The amount of ammo NPCs spawn with is levelled, so early on you may not be finding much ammo, but later on you may be encountering much more. It would kind of depend on how the various combat situations go. WARS is intended to be paired with more realistically limited carry weight values - ideally via the encumbrance overhaul in PEACE - so what I'm expecting is that logistics will be more of a limiting factor on ammo availability, instead of it being dependent on how much you find. In other words: "How am I going to carry all this stuff?"

Weapon durability and critical failures such as jamming or critical component damage are features in AmmoTweaks v2.

I prefer to avoid scripting if I can (because I don't like doing it ;)), so the "NPCs use ammo" feature was all done via weapon record edits and levelled lists, yes. It required a lot of levelled list work to achieve what I hope will be a consistent structure for NPCs using ammo - so it might likewise take a lot of work to tweak that to your own tastes - but theoretically it'd be simple to change, yeah.

I thought this might have been good inspiration for a news' film crew van, police/military looking to intercept enemy transmissions and/or locate spies.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/TV_detector_van#/media/File:Dodge_detector_van.JPG

Did you maybe mean to post this somewhere else?

From what I understand, I thought those bushfires are rather spread out? Like the map you linked, shows them fairly far apart if you zoom in. It still is terrible, and folks really should be held to account for starting fires. (Again, going from memory, at least 50% of them are man made). Anyhow I wish you luck, and don't let the drop bears ambush you if you need to evac to the dirty lake!

I don't know enough about bushfires to be able to comment on how bad or good it is that some of them may be spread out to a greater or lesser extent, but I do know that a number of fires currently burning began spread out, but then merged together into colossal megafires. In fact there are two very large fires set to possibly do just that right now, to Canberra's south-west. I've been following their progress since they started, and they did start quite a distance from one another.

As I understand it, the big problems are that there are a lot of fires, they're gigantic (all-time record-breaking gigantic), and that things have been so extremely hot and dry. We've been in a bad drought for a few years now, and 2019 was both the hottest and driest year on record in Australia, at the same time. The country is a powder keg right now.

But thanks; and if things were to get bad enough that I'd have to run for the lake (not that I'd want that because being in the open would be extremely dangerous), well... the drop-bears would have been burnt out of their trees, so no worries there at least.

Hopefully the fire fighting efforts their are proving to be effective and efficient, I wouldn't expect the situation over their to be resolved in a day though of course, with the MAP of the fires you showed as well as some of the pictures I've seen myself it'll probably be awhile until they're under control, hopefully it's something that will be done with soon, and with as little loss of life as possible, you and your family have my best wishes Antistar, be safe and be careful.

Thanks. :) Looks like we've got at least a week of (relatively) cooler temperatures ahead - and possibly even a little rain - so hopefully that takes the pressure off a bit.

I'm getting close to finishing the redux Skorpion animations; working on the third-person reload anims now.

Weapon durability and critical failures such as jamming or critical component damage are features in AmmoTweaks v2.

I prefer to avoid scripting if I can (because I don't like doing it :wink:), so the "NPCs use ammo" feature was all done via weapon record edits and levelled lists, yes. It required a lot of levelled list work to achieve what I hope will be a consistent structure for NPCs using ammo - so it might likewise take a lot of work to tweak that to your own tastes - but theoretically it'd be simple to change, yeah.

To the fires, I read that the biggest fire is more or less under control after so long a time? And it shall be raining soon? I hope the best for you.

To weapons, I thought more of an additional weapon destruction mechanic, simulating the weapon getting hit by bullets or melee weapons and be totally lost. Preferably with the destruction chances adjustable with an MCM menu. It really changes the way you play the game if your shiny supadupa hero-gun could possibly get destroyed.

Even more so for armor, for me it is more a one-fight-object of utility, being destroyed if you got a lot of damage. Makes gameplay more dangerous and diverse.

To the ammo use and lists, good to hear. I cannot deal with scripts but I have a lot of leveled lists and outfits changed, no problem to do it if I like to use a mod.