[WIP] Weapon Addition and Replacement Suite (WARS)

antistar

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. :)

I've probably made some tweaks to PEACE here and there, but I think it's feature-complete for now; it's just waiting for me to finish up WARS so I can test them properly with a playthrough.

On WARS: Recently I've been sorting out how the melee weapons will work. AmmoTweaks v1 has a feature I'm using/adapting where you can cycle between different "attack modes" for melee weapons. Typically "Swing", "Sweep" and "Thrust" - and they do use different animations, as appropriate.

"Swing" attacks are the standard for most melee weapons. Blunt and axe weapons using this attack mode have some armour-piercing, while blade weapons do less damage against armoured targets, but have a bleed chance. (Axe weapons get the bleed chance too, actually.)

"Sweep" attacks are limited to two-handed weapons, but hit everyone in front of you. (Rank 4 of the Big Leagues perk was changed to no longer do that.) This comes at the expense of doing less damage and wearing out the weapon faster, though.

"Thrust" attacks give blade weapons some armour-piercing (and more bleeding), but cause blunt and axe weapons to do much less damage. It does give those weapons a reasonable chance to stagger targets though - just so there's some utility to it.

In ATv1 this uses the Swap Ammo hotkey (since that's the only one it has), but I changed it to use the Fire Mode hotkey in WARS.

While sorting out these different Attack Modes (because they are a bit different in WARS, compared to ATv1), I realised that while FO4 has both one and two-handed examples of blunt and axe weapons, it only has one-handed blade weapons. So right now I'm chucking together a simple two-handed blade weapon to fill that gap.

I'm calling it the "Junk Blade", and it actually has options for both one and two-handed grip lengths, and three different blade lengths - so when you find one in-game it'll be a "Junk Tanto/Katana/Nodachi", depending on the blade length.

I'm making it from scratch, but don't expect anything super fancy - it's a pretty simple "forged from scrap in the Wasteland" design. Plain blade, plain wood grip, no guard. I don't want to spend a long time on it. I've been spending a lot of time doing CK and scripting work lately though (and also had a very stressful couple of weeks recently), so I needed a bit of a change of pace.

Anyway, I'm at the modelling stage at the moment. I'll show some screenshots once it's textured and in-game, most likely.

Love you Antistar.

Def looking forward to those screenshots, But if youre getting to stressed out then maybe you should take a break? fallout 5 is likely still a decade away.

The joke being thats the closest thing to a deadline you have. We will wait! Be healthy.

Hey, thanks. :)

It shouldn't be too long before I can show some shots of the Junk Blade. There's just been a lot going on.

Spending more time on the mods would actually reduce my stress, I think, since it would mean that I had more time. It's all the other stuff getting in the way that's been a problem. ;)

Love you Antistar.

Def looking forward to those screenshots, But if youre getting to stressed out then maybe you should take a break? fallout 5 is likely still a decade away.

The joke being thats the closest thing to a deadline you have. We will wait! Be healthy.

Glad to hear you're able to relax given the current context, I try to lose myself in my games and writing, but even then something shreds my enjoyment. But things area actually pretty good right now, I'm most likelly in the best moment of my life since my childhood, I hope you all are doing great as well!

Here are those shots of the Junk Blade, finally:

- Junk Blade 01

- Junk Blade 02

- Junk Blade 03

- Junk Blade 04

- Junk Blade 05

To copy-paste what I said in the image-share section as a summary:

Lately I've been working out how melee weapons in WARS will work. AmmoTweaks v1 has a feature I'm using/adapting that allows you to cycle between different "Attack Modes" for melee weapons. Typically "Swing", "Sweep" and "Thrust" - with different animations as appropriate. In WARS, this is done with the Fire Mode hotkey.

The different Attack Modes have different effects, depending on the weapon type:

- 1H Small Blade - Thrust Attack

--- 25% Chance of 10 Bleed DAM/s vs DR for 5s. -40% Target DR. +25% Wear Rate.

- 1H Small Blade - Swing Attack

--- 25% Chance of 8 Bleed DAM/s vs DR for 5s. +20% AP Cost. +20% Limb Damage. -8% Reach. +150% Target DR.

- 1H Blade - Swing Attack

--- 25% Chance of 8 Bleed DAM/s vs DR for 5s. +20% Limb Damage. +150% Target DR.

- 1H Blade - Thrust Attack

--- 25% Chance of 10 Bleed DAM/s vs DR for 5s. -15% AP Cost. +12.5% Reach. -40% Target DR. +25% Wear Rate.

- 2H Blade - 2H Swing Attack

--- 25% Chance of 8 Bleed DAM/s vs DR for 5s. +20% Limb Damage. +150% Target DR.

- 2H Blade - 2H Sweep Attack

--- Hits all targets in front of you. 25% Chance of 8 Bleed DAM/s vs DR for 5s. 5% Chance to stagger. +15% Reach. -25% Damage. +25% AP Cost. +150% Target DR. +25% Wear Rate.

- 2H Blade - 1H Thrust Attack

--- 25% Chance of 10 Bleed DAM/s vs DR for 5s. +25% AP Cost. +15% Reach. -40% Target DR. +20% Wear Rate.

- 1H Blunt - Swing Attack

--- -25% Target DR.

- 1H Blunt - Thrust Attack

--- 25% Chance to stagger. -75% Damage. +25% AP Cost. +25% Target DR. +20% Wear Rate.

- 2H Small Blunt - 2H Swing Attack

--- -25% Target DR.

- 2H Small Blunt - 1H Sweep Attack

--- Hits all targets in front of you. -25% Damage. +50% AP Cost. +25% Wear Rate.

- 2H Small Blunt - 1H Thrust Attack

--- 25% Chance to stagger. -75% Damage. +25% AP Cost. +25% Target DR. +20% Wear Rate.

- 2H Large Blunt - 2H Swing Attack

--- -25% Target DR.

- 2H Large Blunt - 2H Sweep Attack

--- Hits all targets in front of you. 5% Chance to stagger. +15% Reach. -25% Damage. +25% AP Cost. +25% Wear Rate.

- 1H Axe - Swing Attack

--- 25% Chance of 8 Bleed DAM/s vs DR for 5s. +20% Limb Damage. -25% Target DR.

- 1H Axe - Thrust Attack

- 2H Axe - 2H Swing Attack

--- 25% Chance of 8 Bleed DAM/s vs DR for 5s. +20% Limb Damage. -25% Target DR.

- 2H Axe - 2H Sweep Attack

--- Hits all targets in front of you. 25% Chance of 8 Bleed DAM/s vs DR for 5s. 5% Chance to stagger. +15% Reach. -25% Damage. +25% AP Cost. +25% Wear Rate.

- 2H Axe - 1H Thrust Attack

While working on all this, I realised that Fallout 4 has both one and two-handed axe and blunt weapons, but only one-handed blade weapons - so I decided to fill that gap by adding this weapon: the "Junk Blade".

The idea is that they're forged in disparate workshops in the Wasteland, from whatever scrap steel of reasonable quality can be found. They come with one or two-handed grips, and in three different blade lengths. Depending on the blade length, it will be a "Junk Tanto", "Junk Katana" or "Junk Nodachi" - and depending on the grip length, the weapon will use one-handed or two-handed Attack Modes.

In the third shot you can see the unique variant - which for once I did give a unique appearance - the "Junko Blade".

Overall this came out a bit less "junky" than I'd first envisioned. Originally I was thinking it would have a straight grip and a straight - maybe slightly rougher-looking - blade. That nice curve that carries through both the grip and blade was too hard to resist in the end, though. Besides, since the idea is that they're being forged - rather than bolted together from lawnmower blades or whatever - I think it would make about as much sense with or without a curve to it.

I considered calling it something other than "Junk Blade", but I'd already thought of the "Junko Blade" name for the unique, and was too attached to it. :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

Those look nice, it's basically Samurai blades with a shirasaya tsuka (saya not included XD.)

By the way Antistar, that poor teddy bear, how could you lol

Thanks. :) And yeah, being "Junk" Blades, they're meant to represent the straightest line possible from "melted-down rebars/car parts/whatever, plus chunks of wood" to "reasonably functional katana", so that was an ideal style.

The teddy bear is part of the "Junko Blade" reference. ;) I considered even making the blood on the blade bright pink to fit - instead of the usual red - but thought that might be a bit much. (Also it would require a pink version of the blood cubemap, and I still don't know how to get cubemaps for FO4 to import/export properly.)

It's too bad fallout 4 isn't exactly scabbard concept compatible, would love having a matching saya to go with it, oh well lol.

(Having bright pink blood on the blade is totally reasonable, nothing a bit much about it ;) especially if the person drank a cubic crap load of pepto bismol lmao)

Edited by Shanzyboo