[WIP] Weapon Addition and Replacement Suite (WARS)

antistar

One thing that was kind of annoying about the volkwagon mod on nexus was the muzzle brakes were too big and didn't seem to fit the gun right. All I had to do to fix that mod was alter the sounds to use non auto effects and instead use semi auto effects then it quit playing echo sounds forever and works just fine now. I have that STG44 mod from nexus and just made the volkswagon dependent on it for the 7.92 ammo. Kinda fun carrying that STG44 around in far harbor then switch up with the volkswagon for close range stuff.

That mod probably has it using the vanilla Radium Rifle muzzle brake - that one from the base game that's used on a bunch of guns and looks like it's from a tank. I'm changing it to use a muzzle brake - and the suppressor - from the Handmade AKM. It's not historically accurate, but it looks more appropriate than what it had in vanilla, at least. The calibres are similar too, I suppose.

I have heard about some kind of problem with the Radium Rifle auto-fire sound effects. I'll have to have a look at that... although I think I may only use its vanilla fire sounds for when it has the Gamma Infuser mod attached (if that won't clash with having different sounds for suppressed fire) - and I'm not sure yet if I'll have automatic fire as a possibility for the Volkssturmgewehr anyway. Apparently there were only a couple of experimental select-fire versions of the weapon made, and they didn't make it to mass production. That may be enough for me to just say "hey, why not" and do it anyway, though. ;)

The Volkssturmgewehr nif, dds and material files are all set up now, so tomorrow I should be able to get all these changes into the plugin and in-game.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. :)

Here's a couple of images I didn't post earlier, showing the various sights available for the Mossberg 590 - plus a few shots of the Volkssturmgewehr:

- Mossberg 590 16

- Mossberg 590 17

- Volkssturmgewehr 01

- Volkssturmgewehr 02

- Volkssturmgewehr 03

Just to recap (i.e. copy-paste what I said on the image posts):

I changed the Radium Rifle to the Volkssturmgewehr - the real-world weapon it's based on. This involved some touch-up work to repair the mesh and texture holes left by removing the sci-fi junk from the receiver and magazines. I also had to make iron-sights for it as Bethsoft didn't give it any.

The weapon will use 7.92x33mm Kurz (via AmmoTweaks) rather than .45 ACP and no longer does radiation damage by default. The radiation damage (and sci-fi junk) can be restored by attaching one of the new "Gamma Infuser" weapon mods I added, however. (This also restores its original fire sounds as I made it use the Handmade AKM fire sounds without an Infuser attached.)

I also changed the weapon to use a muzzle brake and suppressor from the Handmade AKM as they look more suitable than what it had by default (in my opinion).

Note that while the wire dish and sci-fi junk strapped to the magazine are part of the Gamma Infuser mods, as you can see here they unfortunately don't highlight in the workbench menu because they're attached to parts that move independently of the receiver. It's a result of the workaround I used to make this possible - but it's only cosmetic.

(As usual, ignore the stats and whatnot; they'll be changing before release.)

My plan is for the standard Volkssturmgewehr to be available in the general Commonwealth, with "Gamma Infuser" versions being carried only by Children of Atom. Oh, and I may give it a re-chamber option for 7.62x39mm.

Wew dat PVS scope lol, forgot just how huge the thing is haha

And is that a cmore railway sight I see?

Yeah, I sort of like the Starlight scope being huge and unwieldy; it feels appropriate. Like... night-vision and/or "recon" might be pretty handy, but you'll have to put up with that boxy thing in your face all the time. (Also it's heavy; from memory if you take the lightest Mossberg 590 configuration for example and put a PVS-4 on it, it nearly doubles the weapon's weight.)

And yes, I've got Railway sights as options on nearly everything so far; the AR-15, Mini-14, USAS-12 and Mossberg 590. They all get largely the same options for sights thanks to picatinny rails.

Hey man love the progress you are making on the mod i check the thread almost everyday to check for new updates! But i gotta ask is the Barrett

m82 still planned for 1st release ? personally my favorite gun!

Yes, that's the last one I'm planning to do for the initial release.

I like the newest addition to your pack, the Volkssturmgewehr. It looks the part; common low end weapon that would be encountered often in the wasteland.

I have a few suggestions I would like to throw at you (feel free to duck at any time); but seeing the way you are handling the progress of your mod, I don't think you need ANY guidance whatsoever...

Here goes:

I think that the Volkssturmgewehr could use the option of the 9mm Parabellum. The 9mm is an extremely common caliber in real life and likely in the F4 wasteland. I am not a gunsmith -just an educated guess.

Also, a nice add-on to your some of your guns would be a fuel filter suppressor (such as the Napa 4003). It is a real life mod gun owners use to get a (low cost) silenced weapon. I can easily see it being used the bad parts of town (read everywhere). It actually looks nice too.

I also believe that the game could use a good cheap SMG. The M3 fills that gap to an extend (its a .45 though) but I have a candidate that might be looking for a job; The K-50M. Basically its a tiny AK based on the PPSh-41. Drum magazine compatible. 7.62x25 Tokarev Ammo. And to sweeten the pot even more, there is already a model of it out there by RedRogueXIII...

Here's a pic

http://media.moddb.com/images/mods/1/18/17272/k50m1.jpg

So there's my deliveries in your suggestion box, feel free to use/ignore/recycle them. Just keep hammering at that project, it's a good one and we are patient.

Cheers.

Edited by Radsweeper

I think that the Volkssturmgewehr could use the option of the 9mm Parabellum. The 9mm is an extremely common caliber in real life and likely in the F4 wasteland. I am not a gunsmith -just an educated guess.

I'm no smith either but I could tell right away this would call for at atleast a new barrel (hard to fabricate), bolt, and magazine (also hard to fabricate unless taken off an existing weapon) at which point you've essentially made a whole new gun and maybe reused the sights and stock

There is also the question of why when mac-10's and sten-guns exist

I like the newest addition to your pack, the Volkssturmgewehr. It looks the part; common low end weapon that would be encountered often in the wasteland.

I have a few suggestions I would like to throw at you (feel free to duck at any time); but seeing the way you are handling the progress of your mod, I don't think you need ANY guidance whatsoever...

Here goes:

I think that the Volkssturmgewehr could use the option of the 9mm Parabellum. The 9mm is an extremely common caliber in real life and likely in the F4 wasteland. I am not a gunsmith -just an educated guess...

I'm no gunsmith,but I know for fact that you'd need entirely new magazines,upper and lower receivers,a firing mechanism,barrel... Pretty much new everything. At that point,you might as well just build some new furniture around this new gun. The reason being that 9mm is so much larger than 7.92mm Kurtz,which is what the Volkssturmgewehr used.

Though,if we can get a fictional .728 calibre round made for WARS,then we'd be able to convert all of our 12 gauge shotguns into smoothbore cannons!