Hot air balloons!

jjk999

I posted this but don't see it so I'm writing a condensed version again.

The first balloon was in 1783 but 18th c europe wasn't sitting on top of a more advanced civilization for thousands of years.

If medeaval people were atop a computer using civilization they could not reverse engeneer computers but might examine keyboards and come up with typewriters or block printing.

A researcher could have seen dwemmer tech and thought about the interaction of heat and air.

The result: a hot air balloon.

Or better yet a floating platform.

It could be a secret weapon of the empire (remember skyrim is split in allegience to the empire) but before they could deploy it dragons started appearing. It could have defences against arrows from the ground but not from attack from tha air.

A scenario could be the player on the platform with a few legion archers. They fight off a dragon before it damages the platform enough for it to tip over and send the soldiers plummeting to the earth.

It might waft in a similar way to floating slower or faster in rivers.

dragons insects and birds all fly and go to ground.

The platform could be stationary unless someone is at the controls then it could move forward and backwards, rotate slowly and go up and down slowly.

Another scenario is to use it in attacking a bandit held fort in a similar way to the legion/stormcloack assault missions.

I sort of like the idea of a mad-scientist type, sending you out and about to find necessary items. A mixture of quests would be nice-- a go-find-it quest for enough metal, for instance, or gears-- and a diplomatic quest to get people to help transfer the balloon to a launching place (maybe one of the carriage drivers?), etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I sort of like the idea of a mad-scientist type, sending you out and about to find necessary items. A mixture of quests would be nice-- a go-find-it quest for enough metal, for instance, or gears-- and a diplomatic quest to get people to help transfer the balloon to a launching place (maybe one of the carriage drivers?), etc.

Should totally be in the game. There are schematics for Dwemer airships found in game, also the Sload are said to operate airships, according to lore - speaking of Sload, I'd be interested in meeting one of those and stabbing it.

• 2 weeks later...