I'm sure this has been asked a million and 1 times....

NCRForever

Ahh, the 'ole Settler on the Roof bug :) Although it applies to various other NPC's and "companion" animals like Brahmin, Guard Dogs and Cats as well.

I 'think' it's caused by asset "pop-in" when you move between areas. The game doesn't render most buildings and landscapes until you get to within your preset draw distance, but if that is set lower than the character draw limit, then they may wander onto a tile that will eventually have a building on it. Ever noticed car bodies flying around or seemingly dropping out of the sky? Same issue I believe, the car renders before the overpass it was sitting on, so it falls out of the sky ... It's quite amusing really.

I allus place a set of stairs up to the roof of the workbench house (and sometimes several others as well) because I'm always seeing settlers and Brahmin up there. The stairs at least give them a path down to ground level (eventually)

But, why is there a brahmin on the second floor of an abandoned house and how can I get it down without harming/killing it?

Lucky you, if it's only one Brahmin. Usually half of the population hang out there. And btw, I had a car going for an extended airbound round trip when following Dogmeat to find Kellog.

Y'all are crazy. It's not a bathtub and it's NOT a settlement area.

If it's not a settlement area, which is rather obvious, it is a bathtub, since feed troughs aren't part of the deal´outside settlement areas. Apart from a select few, such as Abernathy's they'rte not even part of the deal inside settlemen areas. If you hover over them in build mode, they will reveal the truth you're reluctant to accept.

Yet the bug is still the same. You entering an area and the game loading the objects accordingly. Which leads to the settler/Brahmin roof problem.