Creation Kit - Today?

barthigi

Still what is in fact pissing people is the announce that CK will be automatically and forcibly uploading the WIP to Steam, that is the point making people call it "intrusive" beyond far.

Frankly, the problem is one thing, and one thing only: Paranoia.

People are afraid of what will happen. They got no proof of anything. They suddently believe Bethesda has gone rogue and will snatch all your mods, sue you, and sell the mods. They then believe Steam will join in, sell your mods, and laugh in your face.

To make it better, people fear SOPA will pass and mean we would be forced to use Steam.

Shall we play "Find the mistake" in what I wrote?

Let me make a list of things to note:

1) Bethesda doesn't turn rogue and start pissing on us.

2) Steam isn't the worse thing in the world. Without the auto-update, they do me more goods than bads.

3) SOPA won't go live. It would hurt just about everybody. Nobody would gain from it.

4) No modder own an "idea". You can make a model of a super sword, and put it as a mod. Bethesda can now remake it, changing it slightly, and add it as a DLC.

5) We pay nothing for the toolkit. Why do people really start to fear that the world is against us? You pay nothing, you gain nothing, there are plenty of other game engines you can use and I see no problems in Bethesda taking your mod for a future game/DLC. I would be honored at worse.

6) Why do people get desperate? It's the 20th. We are still in the month that was set. Have you ever seen the game industry? Let me point you to blizzard: months upon months delay. If you return to this post in 4 months, and we got no CK, then you can start getting desperate and I will agree. For now -- chillax. I doubt you plan to die of old age tomorrow, so you got time.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but that's what happens when they don't talk straight to clear this crap up. Which just fuels it even more.

This is really the root of the problem.

Unfortunately, communication with a fan base is often a double edged sword. Say one wrong thing or give just a little too much info often results in some disaster (internally and/or externally). Developers tend to air on the side of caution and not say much lest they get chastised by the community should they fail to live up to some time table (which is common in this business due to the complexity of the products). However, that also creates the problem that is ever so present with all large game developers, in that the lack of communication causes wild speculation and misinterpretation of the little information that is released. This thread is a perfect example of the latter.

Matth85 wrote

Frankly, the problem is one thing, and one thing only: Paranoia.

Honestly, I will not debate this point with you since you clearly is taking for paranoia something I just called "intrusive" beyond far... because it is, it is not too different from someone staring from over your shoulders while you are reading something.

Edit: About ideas, in my posts was never stated Bethesda should not use "our" ideas, much by the contrary, what you did not understand yet about what was said was taking "your mod" and selling it out.

And I'm not concerned in there if it will be paying you or don't... this was never the point to me.

This subject is now closed from my part, either my position was understood or not.

Edited by nosisab

The worst thing, and i bet it will come so, is, that big mods will be SOLD OFF as DLCs on steam.

LOL. I don't think so. The moderation and legalities surrounding it would be too problematic to ever work. How can Bethesda know if such-n-so modder really created that model? What happens if an asset that was used in a pay-for DLC was ripped from another game? Or stolen from another author and presented as their own? Was the model created using a non-commercial version of 3ds Max...which any works made from it cannot be sold? There is a VERY long laundry list of all kinds of problems that have no easy answers when it comes to custom content. If anything were every to be made for sale, it would probably be confined to just .esp plugins using stock assets. Even those have a laundry list of potential gotchas but it is far less than custom assets.

I don't really know anything about SteamWorks. Are there custom-made community assets being sold through it right now?

LHammonds

If worst comes to worst, Bethesda could just remake the models in 3dsmax themselves and dance around any legal issues that would be obvious (someone stole a design from another game for example). That would also give them a justification for selling a mod with a $0.00 development tag for $9.99.

It isn't as if Bethesda has earned our trust or anything with their previous games and think that we might be kind enough to cut them some slack. Then again most people here probably would be hard pressed to understand how the internal workings of a game development company may actually grind away. Step 1. Work hard Step 2. Don't waste time by updating the community on every little revision Step 3. Just release it when you A) have to because of the bottom line B) when it is done and let the community be surprised that today is the day.

Give the entity a break, they just released a game while making a legendary release date. Software development inherently has bugs, and not all of them are found in the company testing. Not all of them can be prioritized to be fixed before the release. We can complain all you want, but it isn't going to change the fact that Bethesda has no legal requirement to keep you their audience privy to their development process. Go look at some update logs on some open source software on sourceforge.. it would be really boring if they did give us updates. Kind of like magic, it is better to just leave them guessing if they aren't taking part in making it happen.

I keep hearing this parody song in my head by The Offspring... You Gotta Keep Em Speculating

:laugh:

It's another glorious day! The toolset still isn't here yet, but that's ok because I can still make mods, and my gf keeps me busy! :biggrin:

I do see what you did there.. -,- That only answers half of the question though, why Kim Possible!?¿?!

Edit:

and jeeze people.. try to post a little less while people are sleeping. It makes for a long read.

Edited by Sagenth

Honestly, I will not debate this point with you since you clearly is taking for paranoia something I just called "intrusive" beyond far...

Perhaps I am. However, the only way to get a point across the internet is to drag a point as far as you can.

My points are there. Only a few people actually goes desperate and can check off all my points, but they are the minority. However, it's the only way I can smash some sense into the few people who runs away from all logic, and start screaming.

My points are quite simple really:

We do not pay for the toolkit. We are not entitled to start complaining -- at least not when there has been no delays so far.

We should not take the sorrow beforehand. We do not know how anything is going to be: Why start running in circles spelling doomsday, before we got any facts?

I just wish people could chill out, wait a month, stop thinking about the CK and then start wondering what's up. Looking at this from 1 side is not getting anywhere.

Steam has yet to hurt me.

Bethesda has yet to hurt me.

SOPA is, hopefully, not getting through.

I got time to wait.

I just struggle to see the doomsday theory people are swinging about. Theories up and down about them holding back the CK, how they are holding it back for pure fun, how aliens are going to blow up the earth and how Jesus will save us all.

You see, the 2 first is just as good as the 2 last.

I do see what you did there.. -,- That only answers half of the question though, why Kim Possible!?¿?!

I love the slash pairing, it works on so many levels!

KiGo! http://social.bioware.com/uploads_user/1070000/1069890/47083.gif

I also have permission from a couple artists to use their work as avatars (this one is from *RinaCat*)

From Joel...

As mentioned, we've launched a small-scale test of the Creation Kit with a group of modders who have agreed to help us out. There's still work to be done on our end with both the editor and Steam Workshop integration. Thanks for your patience - I know personally what's it's like to have to wait for tools!