I just cannot believe how bad the performance is...

Mitigate

Well... your hardware can definitely NOT "eat this game for breakfast". (ever considered looking into the load on your hardware... on your i5 paired with a 1080 they should both getting near 90-100%)

Regarding this is your third topic about the same "problem" and you're not really going into solving it, with following the provided help, what's the reason behind this one?

Just complaining? Hoping for a mystical revolution with thousands of people storming to Bethesda and forcing them to solve this?

Cause what I've seen so far, you really didn't try to work on your game. Just "hey, ultra don't work" and "hey, on low still some problems" following "must be the bad game and not my fault".

As far as I can see... most of us have found a way to play fo4 without man problems and good fps. We just use realistic settings. The term "adapt" is quite fitting here. Just cause a game provides settings with abnormally high fps costs... there's no one forcing you to use them.

You knew about the engine before you bought fo4 (at least I hope so) and Boston is just a problem within the engine and how it was created. And no one will ever be fixing this ...

Edited by L3s7ing

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is the game. If I hit stutter even on low in certain areas on hardware that can eat this game for breakfast then the game is at fault. I don't get stutter everywhere. I can go to Sanctuary and have it running perfectly at ULTRA 1440P. It's any time I climb a building or look around busy areas near Boston. Definitely the game. People need to be hitting Bethesda up about this en masse. It's amazing that I am being scolded by the community. Why are you all so ok with it?

Well, you have a GPU that can eat mine for breakfast, yet I haven't got any stutter. Granted, I've reverted playing in a windowed 1440x810p resolution because of RAM freezes out of which I couldn't get out of without rebooting my PC. I'm using a 37" Samsung TV, so, on that size screen a 1440x810 resolution picture is still as big as a 24" monitor's screen.

But, before that I played in 1080HD in Ultra (minus godrays, with ENBoost, Vogue ENB, SweetFX and later ShadowBoost) on my 3GB R7970 Lightning, stutter-free, except in some areas like Boston Common and on a couple of skyscrapers where I suffered some micro stutter.

After one of Bethesdas updates (to adapt the game for their then imminent Far Harbor DLC release) the stutter got worse with enormous RAM use spikes of over 10GB, as monitored through MSI Afterburner on the LCD screen on my keyboard (Logitech G19).

Some ini tweaks through Bilago's Configuration Tool made things better, but not optimal and I started getting CTD after CTD when I but sniffed the vicinity of the Old Granary Burying Grounds when following the Freedom Trail. Some more tweaking didn't help and when the new AMD cards were released, I waited for the RX470 8GB because tests (on Guru of 3D) had shown it was almost as good as the RX480 but way cheaper.

When having installed that GPU, I still had RAM spikes, but no more CTD as well as no more stutter to speak of. That was still in 1080p Ultra as before...

My ENBoost local ini is set at a 61fps cap and I'm mostly between 50 and 60fps, maybe lower in some areas, I don't know as I'm usually watching what's going on on-screen than glaring at the LCD on my keyboard. These framerates are the same now as when playing in 1080p.

Okay, i would say:

He´s/She´s a "pro" who knows everything. But He/She can´t figure out, how to cancel the stutter. And everyone else is too dump to comprehend.

So, i suggest, to leave this user with the problems alone, because it can´t helped, while everyone else can solve the problems.

Try tetris, or minesweeper instead. That games should run smoothly with your current hardware setting.

Hoping for a mystical revolution with thousands of people storming to Bethesda and forcing them to solve this?

That one. Yeah. It only makes sense to want a properly working product after all... And they knew ALL about it but left it.

It is the game. If I hit stutter even on low in certain areas on hardware that can eat this game for breakfast then the game is at fault. I don't get stutter everywhere. I can go to Sanctuary and have it running perfectly at ULTRA 1440P. It's any time I climb a building or look around busy areas near Boston. Definitely the game. People need to be hitting Bethesda up about this en masse. It's amazing that I am being scolded by the community. Why are you all so ok with it?

except in some areas like Boston Common and on a couple of skyscrapers where I suffered some micro stutter.

It's precisely this stutter I am posting about. Everything else is hot butter. But these drops aren't acceptable. Everyone else seems okay with this though... Not sure why they're gaming on PCs then.

What about some sort of dynamic distance mod? Like the shadows one. Distance and fade is what is causing this stutter.

Edited by Mitigate

Hoping for a mystical revolution with thousands of people storming to Bethesda and forcing them to solve this?

That one. Yeah. It only makes sense to want a properly working product after all... And they knew ALL about it but left it.

Cause it can't be fixed. The problem is within the engine. Creating a new one would take extremely much time and it would take even more effort to "port" fallout to it. Even if they had known about this problem when starting to work on fo4, creating a new engine would have taken them so long I predict fo4 would still be in development. It just wouldn't have made sense to do it.

The other solution would've been to cut out much of the content in Bosten and cause most don't play this game because of it's great graphics and performance the content is more important. I mean... ever looked at some of those potato textures... tse

And most of us are "ok" with it because we don't play on pc because we solely want steady 60fps with extreme graphics.

The idea about a dynamic distant mod is appealing, but I think not worth the effort it would take to create, compared to the small benefits. However, if you can't play fo4 the way it's now, maybe you could spend your time with creating one :tongue:

Edited by L3s7ing

It's precisely this stutter I am posting about. Everything else is hot butter. But these drops aren't acceptable. Everyone else seems okay with this though... Not sure why they're gaming on PCs then.

Could it be that people like mods? That they want to be in charge of their piece of hardware and what goes there? Could it also be that FO4 isn't the only game they play?

Not everybody is in need of a gazillon of frames at every instance of the game. If it takes time to load, well, tough break. It does load, and runs fluidly, once the scenery is cached.

The problem isn't your graphics card. It's your cpu, and the game itself. I tried maxing my game settings, through nvidia geforce experience, and it was really slow. Of course I have an older card, GTX 750. But I could run, decently, the game on my old cpu, which was a Phenom II, now I'm running an FX 8320, and some improvement in performance. The game engine, itself, is old, so the graphics are going to suffer, on your end. Running the game at 1080p, maybe medium settings, is the way to go, if you have a better cpu. It would be low on an Intel cpu, and the i series, except for 7, you will have stuttering, etc. On an i7, you may have a bit of a performance boost. But if you go AMD, you will see some improvement, as well. I run several games, and run at a decent frame rate. My draw back, right now, is my graphics card. Maybe memory, as I'm only running 8 gig of memory. I'm thinking of adding more. Probably going to maybe 16.

The problem isn't your graphics card. It's your cpu, and the game itself. I tried maxing my game settings, through nvidia geforce experience, and it was really slow. Of course I have an older card, GTX 750. But I could run, decently, the game on my old cpu, which was a Phenom II, now I'm running an FX 8320, and some improvement in performance. The game engine, itself, is old, so the graphics are going to suffer, on your end. Running the game at 1080p, maybe medium settings, is the way to go, if you have a better cpu. It would be low on an Intel cpu, and the i series, except for 7, you will have stuttering, etc. On an i7, you may have a bit of a performance boost. But if you go AMD, you will see some improvement, as well. I run several games, and run at a decent frame rate. My draw back, right now, is my graphics card. Maybe memory, as I'm only running 8 gig of memory. I'm thinking of adding more. Probably going to maybe 16.

AMD? How will swapping to an inferior brand help me?