I just cannot believe how bad the performance is...

Mitigate

What other PC games do you play on your ideal settings, and what kind of benchmarks are you getting on those? Have you tried a complete nuke of your FO4 install and reinstalling without mods, in case you've some corrupted data somewhere slowing things down?

I run FO4 and every other game I play on ultra/highest settings, and experience very little lag or stuttering even in downtown Boston. So, it may well be the game, but I'm not experiencing the kind of world-breaking issues you describe that would suggest that it's a problem universal to all gamers. You ask why we're putting up with it? Because we're not having the problems you describe... which indicates that at least PART of the issue is squarely on your end.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem isn't your graphics card. It's your cpu, and the game itself. I tried maxing my game settings, through nvidia geforce experience, and it was really slow. Of course I have an older card, GTX 750. But I could run, decently, the game on my old cpu, which was a Phenom II, now I'm running an FX 8320, and some improvement in performance. The game engine, itself, is old, so the graphics are going to suffer, on your end. Running the game at 1080p, maybe medium settings, is the way to go, if you have a better cpu. It would be low on an Intel cpu, and the i series, except for 7, you will have stuttering, etc. On an i7, you may have a bit of a performance boost. But if you go AMD, you will see some improvement, as well. I run several games, and run at a decent frame rate. My draw back, right now, is my graphics card. Maybe memory, as I'm only running 8 gig of memory. I'm thinking of adding more. Probably going to maybe 16.

AMD? How will swapping to an inferior brand help me?

At the moment amd is sadly weak compared to intel or nvidia in both cpu and gpu market. However, amd has a focus on low and mid range parts at the moment, you won't so overly high priced processors from them (like intel one's).

In multi-core they can still crush intel cpu's mainly cause running even lower priced 8 cores on amd side against higher priced 4 cores (without hyperthreading).

I definitely look forward to the zen release, even when being myself on team intel/nvidia.

Also amd could get a really good boost through things like asynchronos shaders, in which nvidia at the moment really can't do anything.

Amd often were the ones bringing revolution and more than enough times intel just followed them.

When taking fo4 in tax intel should still be better, multi core performance isn't very great, even when helping sometimes a lot.

In my case most times one core runs at around 90% and the other ones get to about 30% (compared to an idle load of 2-3%).

Like JimmyRJump said, the i5 4690k shouldn't bottleneck a 1080. Although the cpu should get under some good load.

Back when fo4 came out, benchmarks showed some fps improvements by going from i5 to i7, but mostly never more than 10-15%, in some cases 20%. Don't know how it's now, or if there where any updates improving cpu related stuff.

Edited by L3s7ing

I just finished the quest involving the Tall ship and Ironsides... That final firefight in the streets dropped me to a crawl. Reloading was literally slow motion. This is truly f***ed.

Starts to sound to me like you're either running an outdated version of the game or you need to check NVidia's GPU settings. I've had it in the past that the game ran like a dia show all of a sudden. Not stutter but plain frame-per-frame advancement. Had it once, inside the Old North Church catacombs on my way to the RailRoad at the end of the Freedom Trail quest. Spent almost half-an-hour getting from the entrance stairs halfway through the corridor. Sadly, I can no longer remember what caused it and what it was that made it go away again...

I've an i5-4590 and an R7 260X (planning on upgrading to an RX 470 4GB), and read about people with stutter but mine's fine or I'm just used to it that I don't notice. I have a lot of greenery mods and other texture mods, as well as an increased spawn mod and never get near 60fps in Boston. I don't expect to.

In the wilderness it's pretty smooth and I often sit near 60fps. In the city it's usually 40-50.

I have a different issue due to my card. I hope to not see it again when I upgrade or I'll be switching to the Green Team :)

I just finished the quest involving the Tall ship and Ironsides... That final firefight in the streets dropped me to a crawl. Reloading was literally slow motion. This is truly f***ed.

Starts to sound to me like you're either running an outdated version of the game or you need to check NVidia's GPU settings. I've had it in the past that the game ran like a dia show all of a sudden. Not stutter but plain frame-per-frame advancement. Had it once, inside the Old North Church catacombs on my way to the RailRoad at the end of the Freedom Trail quest. Spent almost half-an-hour getting from the entrance stairs halfway through the corridor. Sadly, I can no longer remember what caused it and what it was that made it go away again...

Game is always up to date as it's the Steam version. Nvidia GPU settings are mostly default. Weapon debris is off. I've got some free time today to finally get this sorted. See what I can find.

The biggest change I made to the base game was cleaning the masters in Xedit. It was filthy...

Edited by Mitigate

Could I request that others head to the USS Constitution tall ship and pan the camera while climbing the building to it and while on the deck beside the satellite dish? It was up here that my game dropped to a crawl while fighting off scavengers. Let me know how it went for you.

Edited by Mitigate

single gtx 1080: around ~40-45fps when moving wildly around and ~45-48 while standing still. (100% load)

sli gtx 1080: ~55 when moving around and steady 60 fps while standing still. (~70-80% load)

Somehow the sli scaling variates in fo4 :huh: in normal gameplay situations I get with sli a boost of around 50 to 60%. Strange...

Also sometimes when a grenade or some rockets exploded :sweat: the fps dropped to 34-42 on single and 43 when using sli.

2560x1440 screen resolution, 4k texture mods, ini settings made with bethINI mod and somewhere above ultra, except god rays, weapon debris, motion blur and depth of field (all turned off).

Using Grim Wolf Reshade and Enb Preset with Institue ASD preset and the enb ssao set a bit higher than normally.

Edited by L3s7ing

single gtx 1080: around ~40-45fps when moving wildly around and ~45-48 while standing still. (100% load)

sli gtx 1080: ~55 when moving around and steady 60 fps while standing still. (~70-80% load)

Somehow the sli scaling variates in fo4 :huh: in normal gameplay situations I get with sli a boost of around 50 to 60%. Strange...

Also sometimes when a grenade or some rockets exploded :sweat: the fps dropped to 34-42 on single and 43 when using sli.

2560x1440 screen resolution, 4k texture mods, ini settings made with bethINI mod and somewhere above ultra, except god rays, weapon debris, motion blur and depth of field (all turned off).

Using Grim Wolf Reshade and Enb Preset with Institue ASD preset and the enb ssao set a bit higher than normally.

Incredible. I'm getting drops like that at 1080p on high-medium with Vivid optimised textures. The 1080 is maxing out on this game... Unbelievable.

When it slowed to a crawl I was also kinda flinging grenades like a panicked ape.

You're getting much better performance when using your single 1080. Must be your superior CPU.

Is there any chance of improved performance with Windows 10? I've been sticking with 7 for Skyrim's sake to avoid the 4GB limit.

Edited by Mitigate

To my knowledge there shouldn't be a difference.

The fps difference could be my cpu, but I also heared that some reported that ram speeds matter more in fo4 than in other games.

Some websites claim that comparing values around 1300-1600Mhz with 2400Mhz they could get an improved around 20-25% (sometimes even more). Especially when the cpu is maxed out the ram could give some good improvements.

I don't know how up to date this information are, but maybe would be good to know what ram you're using.