I just cannot believe how bad the performance is...

Mitigate

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can only recommend the Vivid Landscape mod.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/1769/?

My stutters are almost entirely gone since I got it installed. On a less powerful system. Downtown Boston now runs fluently.

...()...Boston will still stutter...()...

Doesn't anymore for me. Just on top of some of the skyscrapers. Boston Common and Swan Lake and the whole of the Freedom Trail -where I used to have stutter and even crashes- works like a charm ever since I got my 8GB GPU...

Hi

Recently I have been going through some hardware changes that have had a major impact on this game.

My main computer when this game came out had a i7 2600k, GTX 980 ti & a WD 600gb Raptor. Originally built for Skyrim in 2011.

Fallout 4 was the first recent AAA game I could play at 3840 X 2160. My frame rate stayed close to 60 99% of the time. For over 1100 hours I had no stutter in Boston. The only stutter I got was from looking through scopes in wooded areas(fixed by Bethesda) & power armor lights in a few interiors.

Sitting next to my gaming computer was my old 755 socket computer that I had built just before Oblivion came out. It was only used for the internet & DosBox games in recent times & needed to be replaced.

The new replacement computer has a i7 6700k, 2 x 980 ti & a WD Black 5tb. With this rig my older saves were unplayable. Boston was a stuttering mess. Lowering the resolution made zero difference. New saves & early saves(about level 20) were fine but had minor stutter in Boston. All the other games I installed on this computer ran perfectly.

To make my old saves playable on my new rig I replaced the WD 5tb Black with a 1tb Sata SSD. I am not 100% happy with the performance with the new SSD but the game is playable now, not perfect.

A few months ago I decided to abandon 4k gaming on my i7 2600k based rig & go 3440 X 1440. I also replaced the GTX 980 ti(now used in the SLI rig) with a GTX 1080. With this combination Fallout 4 was unplayable. Stutter was everywhere. All other games I tested ran perfectly. Even my old Skyrim with over 250+ mods & ENB ran perfectly.

So basicly with a major drop in resolution & a 20% gain with the GTX 1080 over the 980 ti my game turned to crap. I had to abandon playing the game on this computer.

As soon as I got finished building the new computer the WD Raptor in the old one died. I replaced it with a 1tb Sata SSD. With the new SSD & a bunch of driver updates the game is playable again, but far from perfect.

With my experience modding Oblivion, Fallout 3/NV & Skyrim I have learned that any conclusions I come up with as to why by game is not running well are usually wrong. All I can do is try different things & hope I get lucky.

When it comes to this game I am not feeling lucky right now.

Later