ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Getting started with Fallout 4 modding, need recommendations

Dahveed

Hello!

I'm just about to (finally!) install Fallout 4 and all its DLCs, and I want to start off on a good footing. I'd like to of course play Fallout 4 "as is" but I know me too well, it will only last for about an hour or two before I clog up my game with 100 different mods. So for this Beth game I've decided to take the plunge right away and get going with some mods.

But ever since Skyrim mods especially the modding scene has taken off to astronomical levels and it's just impossible to know where to start. There are plenty of guides and youtube channels out there, but I don't want to spend countless hours poring over them before I even play the damn game.

Can anyone recommend a no-nonsense guide to relatively immersive modding for Fallout 4? I'm looking for a mod setup that won't shake up the actual quests and storyline, but will improve the gameplay experience and graphics in general.

Also keep in mind that I enjoy deadly, realistic combat. (For example I use a Skyrim mod called SkyTweak and I boost all combat damage so that there is no "damage-sponge" enemies). So perhaps a few suggestions for combat mods would be appreciated as well.

Generally speaking I'm more of an immersive "Brodual" type of modder (realism, utility) rather than a quirky "MxR" type of follower (titties and Trains-instead-of-dragons replacers).

Sorry if this is too vague or whatever... like I said I know that this is this Internet and there are 2,000,000 guides out there, but that's part of the problem. I don't want to drown in an ocean of information.

Thanks in advance!

I don't know about about guides that cover what you're looking for but striving for a more realistic experience in the Fallout world is a bit of a futile struggle, considering the tongue in cheek theme of the universe. One of the first mods I've installed in every Fallout were ones to get rid of the exploding body parts.

The first thing I've always done when coming to a new or coming back and starting fresh with a TES/Fallout game is to go through the top files list on the Nexus and download everything that looked interesting...this has led to lots of headaches trying to get everything compatible so I wouldn't recommend this approach to those with less patience or without the time to spare for the process...but it does give you a good idea of what's out there.

I would recommend staying away from any settlement based mods right off of the bat as they were almost always the ones to break my game. Get everything else set up first and then ease into them.

Then there are mods like FROST which will give you closer to the game play experience you are looking for but eliminate the story at the same time, so I would save that kind of thing for later.

You're first choice is NMM or Mod Organizer 2. After that, it depends on what you want to go for. I recommend tweaks, etc. Then I would go for UI stuff, and even power armor UI stuff. After that, weapon mods. Then body, clothing, and armor mods. All depends on what you like, or don't like.

NMM and then True Storms, Darker Nights, GraFix Texture Overhaul 3A (better sharpness and contrast on everything) or if have a nice system then Fallout 4 - Texture Optimization Project would be great. Then could go with Shell Rain, Long Range Bullet Holes, Def-UI, FROST, War of the Commonwealth and just tons of more. Highly suggest just taking time to look through all dif ones on Nexus.

Full Dialogue Interface http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/1235/? is a good mod to have. Def UI and Valdacil's Sorting will make things easier (hey, life is hard so maybe that is not Brodual immersive). Armor Weapons Keyword Community Resource and Armorsmith Extended are nice (although they might be more MxRish).

For quests, Tales from the Commonwealth has that covered http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/8704/?

Autosave Manager is a handy mod to have.

I highly recommend Hein84's texture mods along with GRASSLANDS and Vivid Weathers.

These mods improved not only the realism of my game, but also the performance due to Hein84's texture optimisation! Man I can't say how much these mods spruced up the game for me. Definitely worth trying these mods.