recent FPS drops

diosoth

The past day or so I've had some real bad FPS drops in certain places. The worst are in Oblivion gates or in Dzonot Cave fighting the Amazons(OOO mod). Seems even fighting 1 Dremora or Amazon at a time is causing my FPS to drop to 10. Not all fights seem to suffer form this slowdown, only some and it just started in a game that ran relatively acceptably. The only recently installed mods were clothing/armor sets and 2 heavy mods, Kvatch Rebuilt and the Zelda quest mod. Disabling them one at a time, or both, didn't fix anything. Disabling clothing mods didn't fix anything. Fighting Dremora is now almost unreasonable and even looking at certain doors is cutting my FPS down to 10. Looking at certain corpses after the fight can drop my FPS(Dremora sorcerers are essentially game-freezing slow). This only just started and I don't think its a mod conflict.

I had been running MapleStory heavily the past few days, which can eat up a good chunk of CPU and RAM even when minimized, but a full system reboot didn't really seem to clear anything up. I'm still getting FPS drops that I was not getting before.

Very strange. Did you adjust your video card settings to play Maple Story? I remember I enforced 16X antialiasing and Quality Ambient Occlusion through my video card to play the Killing Floor, and I forgot about it, and when I played Skyrim next I had no idea why my framerate went way down. :)

I have heard that Kvatch Rebuilt has seemed to cause stutter for at least one other person here, but I can't be sure that it was the real source of the problem.

Unless MS adjusted something without asking, probably not. That game is 2D and has low system requirements.

I think part of the problem may be BBB and maximum compatibility skeletons. Looking at any large group of female NPCs slows me down to a crawl now. This wasn't happening with the HGEC body before, not even with the high-res skin textures. I think the new skeletons are taking up more resources. Bouncing boobs aren't a must for me and I can barely see it half the time.

I've always had problems with light effects though and other particles. Torches, fires, candles, they can slow me down and it's terrible in Sheogorath's throne room. So far I've found no way to get by that or shut them off(not without killing all those light sources totally).

May not be it, but when you mentioned torches etc. it made me think of the A-bomb problem. Wrye Bash has a fix for it, or you can use Animation Fixer. Either will give you a report of whether or not your game is at the fixing stage (Animation Fixer reports the staus of the problem byte in the box 'Byte Found', anything 48 and up I run the fix ... Wyre reports a percentage I believe). When I first ran into the A-bomb I was getting what seemed random slow downs (the slow downs were actually whenever the sticking animations were trying to play).

I did check for abomb and it was only 12%. But that's not what I mean... in every install I've run, torches and other burning light sources tend to slow down my FPS when I'm near them, assuming I look at them or in their direction. This is actually pretty bad when I'm indoors, and rarely happens outdoors unless it's night and I'm near an Imperial guard with a torch equipped. It's usually only fires or illuminate staffs(those might be OOO-added, not sure). Light sources inside Ayleid ruins and such, or even in AranMathi which is very well lit, don't bother me at all but candles and wall torches have made some house mods unplayable for me.

I don't think the BBB skeletons are the problem, I replaced those and saw nothing. Though I think when I'm indoors, the HGEC body is causing lag when there are several female NPCs in one spot.

So it's any light that flickers then. In your Oblivion.ini what is your value for 'fFlickerMovement=8.0000'? As far as I know mine is at the default value. You may want to play around with different settings for shadow filtering and try turning down your Interior Shadows and/or Exterior Shadows to lessen the load. As a quick check to see if shadows are the culprit you could use the console command 'tsh' (ToggleCastShadows) to turn off shadows and see what differences there are.

Also, if you're running HDR lighting you may want to switch to Bloom. It's much easier to run, and it still looks good. That's if this is a simple performance problem and not a bug though.

I run on normal lighting. Bloom gives me less FPS and HDR isn't supported by my video card.

My INI shows fFlickerMovement=8.0000, but dropping that to 0 had a negligible impact, flame light sources still cause FPS drops. I need to disable their particle effects somehow without turning off the actual light, if possible.

My INI shows fFlickerMovement=8.0000, but dropping that to 0 had a negligible impact, flame light sources still cause FPS drops. I need to disable their particle effects somehow without turning off the actual light, if possible.

no lights flicker is an option within the bashed patch from wrye bash

as well as a stand alone mod once found on the nexus (may even still be there)

The no flickering mod helped... some. It seems to work to some degree on lights in official areas but mod-added ones, not so much. Trade And Commerce still goes nuts in the upper office and I think it's the lights. A single fireplace and some candles are slowing me down. Either that, or it's not the lights but something else in that room. Though much any store or house mod that doesn't separate rooms up is going to slow down.

I thought of trying quiet feet, but I don't have problems with 4-legged animals or horse riding. It's groups of NPCs in battle that slow me down. It's odd that large outdoor areas really don't slow me down but small indoor areas can. The main orrery room is nearly impossible to walk through.