Boston...will it ever be optimised?

kiwi047

One thing I want to know.

Why is Bethesda receiving a special treatment from gamers?
There are countless of bad design decisions, bad coding, terrible engine, story, characters.... yet whenever Bethesda releases the game it's "OMG! 9.5/10" "Game of the year!"

There are many games that get roasted for their problems, yet, for Bethesda, it's ok to release a half baked product.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the best treatment this area can get is the same treatment DC got. Put limiting rubble walls, cut the visible portions of the city, add better LOD (we all know Beth rarely makes good LOD), add occlusion planes, reduce the number of junk decorations and so on. I doubt there's much to do with code. But who's gonna pick up on that titanic task, which at the end also requires to redo the previs/precombined data? Dunno, we'll have to see. Think that, even if one does all those changes and improves the area dramatically, all it takes is another mod changing some stuff in the terrain loaded after first mod to render a lot of fixes null.

This is what I was afraid of, other mods nullifying all that hard work :sad:. And would it be harder for the authors of each mod to adapt their mod to the overhaul/fix?

Bugger, guess its a new PC several years from now then. guess I better get started on skyrim.....

The better question would be why someone would keep these other mods running when there's a general fix. I have removed quite a few mods when another one added their functionality anyway.

Main reason I think is textures. EG trees, so the fix gets rid of bloating in the city right which includes trees. then a texture file overwrites said trees and forces a reset somehow which in turn nullifies original work. Although the retex edits tress in commonwealth, its still the same trees used in downtown. But then again, am I wrong because there are different cells?

One thing I want to know.

Why is Bethesda receiving a special treatment from gamers?

There are countless of bad design decisions, bad coding, terrible engine, story, characters.... yet whenever Bethesda releases the game it's "OMG! 9.5/10" "Game of the year!"

There are many games that get roasted for their problems, yet, for Bethesda, it's ok to release a half baked product.

Moddability. Look at the main mod page. skyrim has most mods fallout etc. ALL bethesda games and easy enough to modify. So people edit it, make the game better and give it a positive rating. Its a smart ploy on bethesdas part, being lazy with a game and getting the community to fix it up. Yet I feel they were just drunk in some ways when doing F4.

Texture replacing will not affect the worldspace, only mesh replacement and other direct changes on the cells. It's already done by some of the tree mods around, not a wise move as far as Fallout 4 goes.

Moddability. Look at the main mod page. skyrim has most mods fallout etc. ALL bethesda games and easy enough to modify. So people edit it, make the game better and give it a positive rating. Its a smart ploy on bethesdas part, being lazy with a game and getting the community to fix it up. Yet I feel they were just drunk in some ways when doing F4.

Fair enough, but that was for PC. Only recent FO4 and Skyrim SE have ability to use mods on consoles and they will never be as advanced as they are for PC.

Don't get me wrong, I love making mods and using mods made by others. Without modders, Bethesda games would be dead within a year or two after release.

Yet they try to make modding as hard as possible with each new game they release. I just don't uderstand their logic.

Modding makes their games sell more, they make games with console limitations without modding ability (for consoles).

Modding was a big topic for FO4, they make the modding harder than before.

Don't get me wrong, I love making mods and using mods made by others. Without modders, Bethesda games would be dead within a year or two after release.

Without the mods I wouldn't even buy them. The only reason why I bought FO4 in the first place was the knowledge of modders taking care of it. If vanilla Bethesda was the only option, I wouldn't bother.

Without the mods I wouldn't even buy them. The only reason why I bought FO4 in the first place was the knowledge of modders taking care of it. If vanilla Bethesda was the only option, I wouldn't bother.

This is it right here.

Skyrim wouldn't be what it is today, and you can be damn sure Bugthesda would never have bothered with the "Special Edition" if it wasn't for the modding community who not only keeps the game alive, but kept the whole series going, and encourages thousands of people who would otherwise never bother, to buy and play their games.

Bugthesda knows it, they abuse it, and we keep eating it up like the worlds tastiest serving of a warmly effervescing, conical shaped accumulation of canine excreta

All the people I know that play games had no problem with fallout 4. None of them mod games & all have i5s,i7s with GTX 970/980s at the time. They played for a few weeks & then went back to their MMOs. I played for over 1100 hours before I started to have problems.

Now on a new saves I get a 60fps 98% of time in Boston. My old saves are like a roller coasters with pauses & some stutter. I am partly to blame because I like to add NPCs to the game & I think mods like CBBE add up with human factions.

Mostly things are not constant. If I hear gunfire & explosions in the distance I know I am going have a bumpy ride through Boston. If it is quiet I get 60fps most of the time.

The performance of my game fell apart with the arrival of Nuka World & my new GTX 1080.

Nvidia drivers have not been good to this game especially if you have a 1000 series card. Updating from a GTX 980 ti to a GTX 1080 you would think you are going to have better performance. I went from very playable to unplayable. I stopped playing Fallout 4.

After building a GTX 980 it SLI rig I started playing again. It now takes 2 GTX 980 tis to get about the same performance I got with one at UHD/4k before Nuka World.

Performance have improved with driver updates & Fallout 4 is playable again on the my 1080 but at 1440 resolution & the 980 tis are still doing a better job at keeping things smooth.

Later