Boston...will it ever be optimised?

kiwi047

All the people I know that play games had no problem with fallout 4. None of them mod games & all have i5s,i7s with GTX 970/980s at the time. They played for a few weeks & then went back to their MMOs. I played for over 1100 hours before I started to have problems.

Now on a new saves I get a 60fps 98% of time in Boston. My old saves are like a roller coasters with pauses & some stutter. I am partly to blame because I like to add NPCs to the game & I think mods like CBBE add up with human factions.

Mostly things are not constant. If I hear gunfire & explosions in the distance I know I am going have a bumpy ride through Boston. If it is quiet I get 60fps most of the time.

The performance of my game fell apart with the arrival of Nuka World & my new GTX 1080.

Nvidia drivers have not been good to this game especially if you have a 1000 series card. Updating from a GTX 980 ti to a GTX 1080 you would think you are going to have better performance. I went from very playable to unplayable. I stopped playing Fallout 4.

After building a GTX 980 it SLI rig I started playing again. It now takes 2 GTX 980 tis to get about the same performance I got with one at UHD/4k before Nuka World.

Performance have improved with driver updates & Fallout 4 is playable again on the my 1080 but at 1440 resolution & the 980 tis are still doing a better job at keeping things smooth.

Later

Wow, but not surprised though. Its like most new things, they work better than the previous lot, on paper, but it takes time for them to get going. Unfortunately with the pace of computers its a little hard to keep up. And it translates to games. Its all become monetized now, investors, DEADlines (which ironically is what kills some games) all that stuff forces a rushed product and you just end up with a less than average game. All this focus on everything BUT the game and the people making it.

As well as with the increase of data in games, I think thats where a LOT of bugs come from. go back about 10-15 years. games worked...why? because they were simple, the gameplay was fun, it wasn't overly complex, and it wasn't 30+ GB. So people didn't get lost in stacks and stacks of code, and having to try and find bugs in such a massive haystack.You still get the odd gem, GTA V for example, but they are few and far between now. I could be way off in my statement, but I'm 31 and started off on a pc when I was about 7 playing a game called jezzball. went through consoles like most kids and now back on PC. So I have an idea.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing I want to know.

Why is Bethesda receiving a special treatment from gamers?

There are countless of bad design decisions, bad coding, terrible engine, story, characters.... yet whenever Bethesda releases the game it's "OMG! 9.5/10" "Game of the year!"

There are many games that get roasted for their problems, yet, for Bethesda, it's ok to release a half baked product.

Because so far I've blown 800hrs on this and when llama finished Heather I'll blow another 800hrs on it.

Despite its flaws it's still a fun enjoyable game.

Ah, of course. The thread where we discuss the reasons/solutions for the generally agreed fact that there is a flaw in the game, and somebody comes along as asks why people ignore the flaws in this game.

Seriously are you even a part of this community because complaining about Bethesda's mistakes is pretty much all we do around here.

Edited by TheSpaceShuttleChallenger

• 3 weeks later...

All the people I know that play games had no problem with fallout 4. None of them mod games & all have i5s,i7s with GTX 970/980s at the time. They played for a few weeks & then went back to their MMOs. I played for over 1100 hours before I started to have problems.

Now on a new saves I get a 60fps 98% of time in Boston. My old saves are like a roller coasters with pauses & some stutter. I am partly to blame because I like to add NPCs to the game & I think mods like CBBE add up with human factions.

Mostly things are not constant. If I hear gunfire & explosions in the distance I know I am going have a bumpy ride through Boston. If it is quiet I get 60fps most of the time.

The performance of my game fell apart with the arrival of Nuka World & my new GTX 1080.

Nvidia drivers have not been good to this game especially if you have a 1000 series card. Updating from a GTX 980 ti to a GTX 1080 you would think you are going to have better performance. I went from very playable to unplayable. I stopped playing Fallout 4.

After building a GTX 980 it SLI rig I started playing again. It now takes 2 GTX 980 tis to get about the same performance I got with one at UHD/4k before Nuka World.

Performance have improved with driver updates & Fallout 4 is playable again on the my 1080 but at 1440 resolution & the 980 tis are still doing a better job at keeping things smooth.

Later

Wow, but not surprised though. Its like most new things, they work better than the previous lot, on paper, but it takes time for them to get going. Unfortunately with the pace of computers its a little hard to keep up. And it translates to games. Its all become monetized now, investors, DEADlines (which ironically is what kills some games) all that stuff forces a rushed product and you just end up with a less than average game. All this focus on everything BUT the game and the people making it.

As well as with the increase of data in games, I think thats where a LOT of bugs come from. go back about 10-15 years. games worked...why? because they were simple, the gameplay was fun, it wasn't overly complex, and it wasn't 30+ GB. So people didn't get lost in stacks and stacks of code, and having to try and find bugs in such a massive haystack.You still get the odd gem, GTA V for example, but they are few and far between now. I could be way off in my statement, but I'm 31 and started off on a pc when I was about 7 playing a game called jezzball. went through consoles like most kids and now back on PC. So I have an idea.

Don't forget that Rockstar spent TWO YEARS optimizing the PC version of the game AFTER they released the first XB and PS versions.

Edited by kraag

Cheesus, and now i'm a "lair" for stating that my game runs pretty smooth with 115-120 fps, with some dips here and there in boston.

I would suggest all of you bitter people to go look up adaptive v-sync and then just go f***ing activate it in whatever program you use for that...Bunch of dingdongs

You are an idiot. Bethesda locked the game engine to 60fps for a reason, and playing anything higher than that breaks the game. Period. Hell, using AMD stuff I can unlock Vsync and hit 169 fps around Fallout 4, but still tank in the city to 20 or lower. But the whole game breaks down at that frame rate.

So yes. You attempting boast that you apparently play Fallout on what could only be described as a black ops multi computer bank of hardware in an undisclosed location somewhere to achieve 90 fps in downton Boston makes you a liar.

Oh.

And your pants are on fire too.

As far as Optimization of the Boston area goes, probably never.

for one, they have all the shadows be called and handled but your CPU instead of your GPU. And even the mightiest of Intel processors take a baseball bat to the knees when downtown.

What would have to happen, I think, is that someone would need to make a downtown overhaul and go through and completely remove all the unnecessary objects sunk under the terrain to create things above it, with actual handmade meshes of just the things you see above ground.

For instance, no sinking a whole bus into a wall and ground just to have a quarter of it sticking out to see to be part of the terrain. No more sinking whole trees and bushes into the ground to create shrubs. Remove shadows from a lot of stuff. Like anything higher than say, 20 meters could probably suffice to have static shadows to be attached that are aligned with the direction between you and the sun, instead of active shadows that move about.

I have a GPU with 8Gb of video memory alone. This game barely utilizes a quarter of it, when it should be able to handle all the shadows and such with ease.

Also consider that Bethesda and every other game out there monopolizes nvidia and intel, so much that AMD gets shafted hard. My AMD stuff is no slouch, but they don't factor in multithreading at all. It's almost entirely singe core operation for the whole goddamn game. I know Intel isn't the greatest at multi but stellar at single, and opposite for AMD. If they would simply allow you an option to toggle, it could open things up immensely. Or just give us console lines to enter to enable multithreading. I have 8 damn cores clocked at 5.0Ghz under liquid cooling that sits at a frosty 28c at max load. I get to use only one of them. That's like owning a Veyron, and asking the dealership to remove three of the four turbos.

I have PC games that are not console ports that my hardware can run maxed out with zero issues, but this buggy mess of a game is so hit and miss it isn't even funny. 60fps one moment, turn the frikking corner and suddenly a 40fps loss......for absolutely no other reason than piss poor optimization.

I am interested in cleaning up the Commonwealth downtown a bit, I've already started disabling what I find to be useless, excessive objects downtown, but not to the point where the streets are clean. It's a bloody big effort though. Suppose if I keep working on it bit by bit each day, it'll grow to be pretty big. I'm kinda doing it in relation to another project I've been heavily into lately but anyway. If I ever go anywhere with it, I'll make a post.

I am interested in cleaning up the Commonwealth downtown a bit, I've already started disabling what I find to be useless, excessive objects downtown, but not to the point where the streets are clean. It's a bloody big effort though. Suppose if I keep working on it bit by bit each day, it'll grow to be pretty big. I'm kinda doing it in relation to another project I've been heavily into lately but anyway. If I ever go anywhere with it, I'll make a post.

A bit like the 'Insignificant Object Remover' by akkalat85 Which i am using now. Maybe you can make sure they work together.. or maybe you 2 can work together... ;)

Don't forget that Rockstar spent TWO YEARS optimizing the PC version of the game AFTER they released the first XB and PS versions.

At least Rockstar didnt give up on the game. Its like bethesda just fixed a few bugs with each DLC, which in turn created more bugs...just general laziness really.

As far as Optimization of the Boston area goes, probably never.

for one, they have all the shadows be called and handled but your CPU instead of your GPU. And even the mightiest of Intel processors take a baseball bat to the knees when downtown.

What would have to happen, I think, is that someone would need to make a downtown overhaul and go through and completely remove all the unnecessary objects sunk under the terrain to create things above it, with actual handmade meshes of just the things you see above ground.

For instance, no sinking a whole bus into a wall and ground just to have a quarter of it sticking out to see to be part of the terrain. No more sinking whole trees and bushes into the ground to create shrubs. Remove shadows from a lot of stuff. Like anything higher than say, 20 meters could probably suffice to have static shadows to be attached that are aligned with the direction between you and the sun, instead of active shadows that move about.

I have a GPU with 8Gb of video memory alone. This game barely utilizes a quarter of it, when it should be able to handle all the shadows and such with ease.

Also consider that Bethesda and every other game out there monopolizes nvidia and intel, so much that AMD gets shafted hard. My AMD stuff is no slouch, but they don't factor in multithreading at all. It's almost entirely singe core operation for the whole goddamn game. I know Intel isn't the greatest at multi but stellar at single, and opposite for AMD. If they would simply allow you an option to toggle, it could open things up immensely. Or just give us console lines to enter to enable multithreading. I have 8 damn cores clocked at 5.0Ghz under liquid cooling that sits at a frosty 28c at max load. I get to use only one of them. That's like owning a Veyron, and asking the dealership to remove three of the four turbos.

I have PC games that are not console ports that my hardware can run maxed out with zero issues, but this buggy mess of a game is so hit and miss it isn't even funny. 60fps one moment, turn the frikking corner and suddenly a 40fps loss......for absolutely no other reason than piss poor optimization.

If you read further back through the posts I did query this, or someone did, and the problem is even with a massive overhaul, all it takes is one conflicting mod to undo everything you have worked so hard to achieve. AS well as you would then have to make every mod that involves meshes, textures etc, work with your overhaul. so therein lies a problem in itself. and with so many files to edit to create "the perfect game" for yourself, its a tall order. Its not discouraging, just perhaps a different problem solving method might work?