Give modders the possibility to upload a mod with files and with scree

hlvrn

I think almost everyone here have seen comments in newly uploaded mods saying "Upload pics now! Why aren't they up!".

I think that, in general, when modders uploads a mod, and have many big files (for instance huge texture packs) or lots of screens... it simply takes a lot of time to get them up.

It can make people who want to download the mod and want to see how it looks like impatient (and thus we get to see such comments like I gave example of above).

It can make modders feel very rushed. I think modders think: once the mod is up, hurry up and upload your files and screenshots very quickly, or people will get impatient and/or stop check the mod (and if they do stop check your mod, well, you might have just missed some chances of getting more people to download your mod, which isn't good for anyone).

So in short, I think it would be good to have a system which allows modders, when they upload a mod, have the possibility to make it go "hidden" or something similar... so you can peacefully with no rush upload all files all screenshots in your own pace. And after you've done that, you would be able to click an "unhidden" button, and make the mod pop-up normally on the front page of Nexus.

(This should be a seperate hidden button than the hidden button modders can use to hide their mods if they don't want it to be shown after they have uploaded it. Otherwise modders could naturally abuse the system to often make the very same mod they have get shown on the front page all the time.)

Would such a system work? I think it would make modders happier, and I think it would prevent downloaders from being so easily impatient waiting for files and screens.

This is also completely irrelevant to this topic, but it has been going for weeks now and it's really getting on my nerves: remove the Drakengang advertisements. They automatically play with loud sound and are hugely annoying. Please, I beg you.

Edited by hlvrn

A person can always upload the mod initially as hidden until they have screenshots and the like setup how they want.

But, most of the people who find it necessary to blast a mod for not having screenshots really don't deserve to be pandered to. They are usually the sort of user who contributes nothing to the community and only care about themselves and what they can get. They are also usually the sort of user who ends up getting banned before their 50th post and who proceeds to claim that being banned for insulting a mod or demanding that it be done the way they want it is somehow "bulls***". But I digress.

The bottom line is this... Learn to be patient. If someone really wants your mod, they can wait till you're done making it ready. Asking modders to bow to the lowest denominator for the sake of a few downloads is silly, and usually beside the point of making the mod in the first place.

I think that anyone who is going to do the standard "no pics, no clicks" complaint isn't really worth your time as a modder. The best method would be to ignore them :laugh: .

Well, even if they don't contribute anything, they are(sadly) what makes up a good amount of the community.

Ignoring their comments is better than fighting though as you said.

When you upload a file and set it to hidden, afterwards when you show it again, will it be in the recently uploaded section?

If not then it would be better to not hide it and just deal with picture requests right?

First, Pics are not required at all. And for some mods don't really make sense. Some modders post their mod never intending to post pics - then post a few because of the pressure to do so. Other modders don't know how to post pics, and later learn and post their pics then. Some never post pics.

I do recommend keeping the mod hidden until everything is ready for the rank and file members to download and use. Both the actual mod file, a description that actually tells us what the mod is and the pics (if any). That way you don't get the comment 30 seconds after you start uploading complaining about no file, no description or no pics. :rolleyes:

We see too many supposed mods that don't have a file yet, but want their mod 'idea' seen. Many of these are just wishful thinking, placeholders or announcements that the person is planning making a mod. When we see those they are closed by the staff. Placeholders and announcements about possible future mods or recruiting for making a mod are not allowed on the mod download section. My own experience shows that around 85% (or more) of the announced mods are never finished, so they would just be wasting space on the mod uploads if we allowed these to be posted.

I think that the "no pic no click" brigade are little better than trolls. I'd love to be able to remove their posting rights for 30 days automatically for it.

If there's ever going to be a voting about this, you'll have my vote.

I'm never releasing anything without a picture, but I can't stand it when people "demand" it from others.

"no pic, no click", "won't endorse without X", "not going to download, unless...", well, tell you what? "I don't care what you do or don't!" These aren't threats, if it's of no meaning, it's only showing "who" you are.

I think it would actually be of some benefit to modders to have all the input sections for a mod on one handy screen instead of having to go through several menus to get a mod up with a description, requirements, a file, some pics, a readme, and if need be, a changelog. If the initial upload had space for the file, pics, and description and those got posted all at the same time it would help to streamline the process.

Same with mod updates btw. Right now the process I use is something like this:

1. Delete old file, Upload new file.

2. Change to readme screen, upload new readme.

3. Change to changelog screen, add changelog entries.

4. Change to pics screen, upload any new pics that may exist.

5. Change to attributes screen, update version number and description.

On TESA, Fliggerty, ModDB, and the software I use on my blog, all of the needed bits to upload a new file or update an existing one are all on the same single screen. Maybe something to consider when the new site code is rolled out? I don't imagine it would be easy to change all this up for the existing system.