False "save corruption" during gameplay

Ramagast

Would be great to point to the thing that does it to stop the fake corruption from happening again in the future.

I added a bunch of suspects back in my game lets see if it corrupts now again or stays stable.

For now it still is guessing.

Edit: So i added around 60 mods and am now at 155 plugins and the fake save corruption is back after playing good 18 hours normal with 93 mods.

There has to be something that causes this either ported mods that dont work right or not playing along.

There are no leftovers from other mods since it was a new install and i kept everything so some mods not fully deinstalled causing this is out of the window.

Here are some mods i dont had this install : Sofia , Recorder , Quaxes Questorium , Ap Skyrim , Ambriel , Maids 2 , Falskaar , 3dnpc , Virelda and Aurlyn.

I stayed away from the bigger ones but its still happening.

From the 60 mods i added these i had before the new install when it did the fake corrpution : Silverstead, Skyrim Underground , the notice board, the scarlett, windstad mine , yennefer of venderberg , dolmen ruins , eso skyshards , gildergreen regrown, helarchen creek , ivarstead , karthwasten, kynesgrove , shors stone , soljunds sinkhole and skyrim se expanded weaponry.

Im removing those mods and see if it fixes it or will now continue to fake corrupt the saves.

Or maybe they are all ok and another mod does somehow the corruption because its not ported right.

Im really sick of this s**t neither in skyrim nor fallout had i to deal with such s**t. I run fallout 4 with 330 mods and no problems now im scared to add anything to skyrim se if i get it fixed.

I don't like to don't be biased, but a number of those mods are by Arthmoor. The man is a modding god (author and co-author ofa lot of what we know about modding), so I'd put good money down on them not being the problem.

I cleaned my save with the SSE Script Cleaner (in Utilities on Nexus) walked away for 8 hours, and it hasn't happened yet. There was nothing actually to clean from the save, it was a solid save. I just resaved it through the Script cleaner.

Edited by TheMadTemplar

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It helped me before too. It's quite possible that save, once the glitch happens, is actually keeping the glitch data.

However. I experienced one interesting thing. I've been playing for a lot of time without bug when I suddenly had a crash on looting Forsworn Briarheart's body. The cause was the spellbook from the mod "Reach Magic" (http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/5209/?). I've extracted its BSA, optimized meshes, made a new archive and installed it as loose files. Crash was gone - but OUR bug occurred almost immediately. Then I remembered that I'm actually exchanged loose files version of "Sands of Time" mod to BSA version when started this playthrough and that many mods that I've uninstalled had the loose files. Arthmoor directly recommends all mod authors to create a BSA for SSE, and it seems that it makes sense. While CK seems to have issues with reading certain files (facegen data, for example) from the BSA archives, the game itself may react badly on loose files and fail to read them.

It' just another theory, of course.

OUR bug occurred almost immediately.

Your putting it as OUR bug gives me some odd sentimental feelings

It helped me before too. It's quite possible that save, once the glitch happens, is actually keeping the glitch data.

However. I experienced one interesting thing. I've been playing for a lot of time without bug when I suddenly had a crash on looting Forsworn Briarheart's body. The cause was the spellbook from the mod "Reach Magic" (http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/5209/?). I've extracted its BSA, optimized meshes, made a new archive and installed it as loose files. Crash was gone - but OUR bug occurred almost immediately. Then I remembered that I'm actually exchanged loose files version of "Sands of Time" mod to BSA version when started this playthrough and that many mods that I've uninstalled had the loose files. Arthmoor directly recommends all mod authors to create a BSA for SSE, and it seems that it makes sense. While CK seems to have issues with reading certain files (facegen data, for example) from the BSA archives, the game itself may react badly on loose files and fail to read them.

It' just another theory, of course.

Sentiments aside, If you still have that save where you CTD'd and the symptom happened back immediately, I think we can narrow down our bug to a type of loose file, if your hypothesis is correct. If you just keep that BSA and partially extract files inside the BSA by file types (such as nifs, ddses, scripts etc.) you could examine which type, at least, is causing the bug immediately.

Edited by unblest

I'll be very nostalgic of this bug once we find its roots and burn it alive. Yes. I'll probably be.

I'm sure that no particular files caused this. The CTD was associated with mesh of a spellbook I picked, but otherwise I didn't interact with mod in question. I have a feeling that the shear number of loose files of any kind can destabilize a game, no matter from which mod they came.

I'll be very nostalgic of this bug once we find its roots and burn it alive. Yes. I'll probably be.

I'm sure that no particular files caused this. The CTD was associated with mesh of a spellbook I picked, but otherwise I didn't interact with mod in question. I have a feeling that the shear number of loose files of any kind can destabilize a game, no matter from which mod they came.

Yes, CTD does seem like with incorrect mesh file, but that after you extracted said BSA and experienced our bug is very interesting. I have downloaded that Reach Magic mod you mentioned and extracted its BSA files but it only contains 40 files in the BSA, and having another 40 loose files in data folder besides other loose files you probably have in data folder triggering the bug immediately seems unlikely, if the bug is caused by number of loose files exceeding current Skyrim's engine limitations, rather it was more likely caused by a specific asset file in a specific situation, as whether it is packed in BSA or in loose files, whether a specific mesh format was incorrectly converted by nif optimizer, whether other assets such as textures, scripts, or sound files that was packed in BSA but now in loose files were causing reappearance of the bug etc., and by changing these variables and reloading your save file right before CTD would be a good chance to find a clue leading to this bug in a relatively isolated controlled environment.

I gotta ask, in addition to the NPC dialogue stopping and ai malfunctioning, when this false save corruption happens have you noticed any other bugs? For instance, I've noticed that the game tends to get laggier the longer I play, and that eventually spells and some lighting start to malfunction (the light flicker glitch happens more frequently, spells have additional artifacts, glowing boxes). This is usually another indicator to me that it's time to restart because of the bug.

So after i removed the mods the game still runs without the bug at least for now. I just play further and see how it goes.

And i dont really noticed anything too wierd. I saw 3 times some elk play superman and fall out of the sky.

But other than that i didnt have any lag nor spell or lighting issues. But i didnt really play much further if one save got the fake corruption since once it hits its constantly corrupting every 20 min at least on my last install.

Another question; is everyone getting the same slate of bugs? I mean the apparently corrupted saves *and* the lost dialogue options *and* the blank message boxes (and whatever else I simply haven't noticed)? I've been assuming it's one thing causing all of it...

One bug I had was similar to the one Ramagast reported above. I somehow acquired, on a previous playthrough, what I call the Dwemer Control Rod of Crashing. If I tried to equip it or drop it or store it--if my cursor touched it in my inventory, basically--boom, crash. I eventually got rid of it using the console, and haven't seen it again since...but I think I'm right (am I?) in saying that's a type of weapon added by Immersive Weapons, which I ported over myself because it hasn't been officially converted yet, and which consequently has loose files instead of the BSA it ought to have. So maybe that ties in with the ongoing thingyness of it all.

Just another little scrap of data.

Lethiel

I dont had a single cdt with the new install. But yeah same bug fake corrupted saves you cant talk to people it breaks the conversation and empty messageboxes like the levelers tower the home spell .

Ive seen the light flicker glitch for the first time now in wuunferts room. Maybe the issues will pile up now and i also will get the lag and spell issues if more time passes.

I probably never give the issue time to progress long enough, so it only affected saves, books, menus and dialogue. It's an interesting moment with dialogue though. I noticed that if I have a 3DNPC follower all his original dialogue will disappear, but Flower Girls dialogue remains. And Flower girls dialogue is in BSA while original 3DNPC dialogue is in loose files. I'll try to create a BSA for 3DNPC to see if it'll preserve its dialogue in this situation,