False "save corruption" during gameplay

Ramagast

You mean then, that no matter if the save loads, it will be broken anyway? What kind of problems are we likely to face when keeping playing on further saves?

On the other hand, there is still no workaround on skyrim SE (similar as crash fixes for LE)?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The way I see it happen, you can play on, but saves you make will not load. Ctd. My workaround was writing a mod to clean dead bodies as I leave an area. Never had a problem since.

There is no community fix I have seen.

That's bad news, having no knowledge in modding whatsoever, I won't be able to reproduce your trick.

Do you know if removing heavy strings mods when approaching the limit (granted they can be removed without causing other damages) can reduce the number of strings on an existing save?

EDIT: I just did the test myself and it seems removing mods on a current saves decrease indeed the number of strings. It may be a solution for those approaching the hard limit in order to keep playing for a while.

Edited by Alzender

That's bad news, having no knowledge in modding whatsoever, I won't be able to reproduce your trick.

Do you know if removing heavy strings mods when approaching the limit (granted they can be removed without causing other damages) can reduce the number of strings on an existing save?

EDIT: I just did the test myself and it seems removing mods on a current saves decrease indeed the number of strings. It may be a solution for those approaching the hard limit in order to keep playing for a while.

Make sure and run ReSaver and remove the leftover and unattached strings/scripts. This can help prevent future problems.

Hi everyone,

Since I have this very issue I have been reading the thread (well to be honest the first 20 pages and the last 10).

So if I understand well we still have no understanding at all of what is causing it.

To be honest, tony's theory about the number of strings seems shady at best. It seems that there is very little evidence supporting it apart from his personal belief. Also the bug seems to happen on saves with 30k to 35k strings, as pointed out by @Ragamast, which is half the supposed limit.

That being said, if tony is right, that would mean that the only thing that can fix our bug would be SKSE64, which is very much stillborn...

I will try to see what happens if I get more than 65,535 strings in a save. I'm not far off currently, something around 53k.

For the record I am using 223 esp files. However I do have quite a few merges in there, including a merge of 40+ weapon mods.

I did start with 3DNPCs but removed it and cleaned the save as I read it was anything but safe to use and would cause crashes later in the game. Also getting rid of it made me gain up to 15 fps in some areas, Riverwood for example.
Interestingly the first characters affected by the loss of dialogue options are NPCS added by Qaxe's Questorium, Jobs of Skyrim and then Merchants (Lucan Valerius in particular). I also noticed some dialogue options appearing but then disappearing immediately, before I had the time to click them.
What my guess actually is, but again it's just a guess: load order problem.
I am using LOOT, but it hasn't proven reliable for SSE on many occasions. What I did notice however, is that the bug evolves depending on the load order.
Example: In the beginning I was loading Ebonvale near the very end of my load order, due to terrain conflicts. At that time, some merchants in Ebonvale were missing dialogue options very quickly. However, I have since then created a patch to overwrite the landscape conflicts and moved Ebonvale up the load order. Now the merchants are amongst the last NPCS to be affected.
Something I noticed as well is that combat is definitely a factor here. Usually the bug does not occur until I engage in combat.
Unfortunately I am not good enough of a modder to be able to manually come up with a fine load order. I can obviously manage to organise moids that depend on one another and solve major conflicts, but that's about it. I feel what we need is LOOT, but reliable like it was in oldrim.
Edited by Edouard25

Well if it was a string issue, then it would be present in OLDRIM, have any of you ever had a false save corruption in OLDRIM? Another variation to look at is Mod Organizer, I'm using Mod Organizer to play the game are any of you getting this corruption with Nexus Mod Manager?

I am using 3DNPC as well, as well as Sofia, and Sky UI 2.2.

Edited by phantompuck

Real quick, watching Star Wars reruns with the only one of my three kids that loves sci-fi like me.

35,000 does not take into account temporary strings used while playing. This number is unknown, but seem to grow as you play.