Two questions

I want to make two simple mods that may later become more indepth with the CK. Im pretty sure they can be made right now, since similar mods have already appeared. I would like to:

1. Be able to add several new crafting recipes(to the blacksmith/grinder/workbench, not the alchemical crafting notes) that I feel would add some realism to the game.

2. Be able to add one or two items as a guaranteed drop from certain creatures(i.e. horse will always drop horsemeat when killed). I dont know if the process is different if the item does not actually drop from the creature, as a opposed to when the drop is random.

3. Just thought of this one. I would also like to rename an item, retexture it, and replace that item as an optionable .esp file. I would normally know how to do this( with Oblivion) but I havent had time to figure out the intricacies of mod tools intended for other game but are being repurposed from Skyrim. If anyone could direct me to steps needed to this I would be very grateful.

Any help regarding this would be greatly appreciated^^.

Edited by Natterforme

SkyEdit is the tool that I've been primarily using for my Bucklers mod. The easiest way to add new items is to find an recipe or entry similar to what you want to make create a copy and rename the editor id. Then you can change up the recipe or armor stats or what have you. As far as custom meshes go, when you pull up the item entry that you want to give a new mesh there will be a little an entry that says model, edit that so that it uses the proper file path. Now save your .esp. Afterwards open up your .esp in TESSnip, find the entry for your armor/weapon or whatever, in the little box on the bottom left you'll see entries like MOD2 or MOD4 open all of these up and edit them to use the proper file path for your custom mesh. Oh and make sure after you edit the file path to the new mesh make absolutely sure that you add 00 to the end of the hex code. That little tidbit caused me SO much grief.

For your purposes, I'd also suggest SkyEdit. Most of what you want to do can be copied through simple copying and pasting within SkyEdit, then editing the data from there. If you're doing a little more in depth work that SkyEdit can't handle, use TESSnip to manually patch up the rest.

I also suggest learning from other mods. It sounds like everything you need is implemented into the Dragonbone Weapons mod. I suggest giving that a download and looking through it, since it has both custom item drops and crafting.

As for renaming and retexturing, that's just a matter of making an item, then giving it the same FormID as an already existing item in its master file. It should overwrite and your new item should appear.

Thank you guys so much for this. I will begin testing the programs later and I will follow all of your suggestions as well as I can. I just want to be able to make some of the useless clutter be usable to craft other vanilla equipment. I know that several mods have gone pretty far in this direction, but there are several areas that are continually left untouched for the most part. Will report back after a couple hours of testing^^.