PC disks are crippled

gigantibyte

No man. The point of this thread is to make people aware that the PC disks of Skyrim are crippled in a way not seen with the console versions. That fact remains no matter how many other games are doing the same thing. For all your arguments and flaming, you have not disproved this.

It's clear you do not care about losing rights over the content you purchase, but I do and many others feel the same way. If I buy a physical disk it must be self contained, otherwise it is useless to me and I may as well just buy the digital download version.

Edited by gigantibyte

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jesus...

PC DISKS ARE NOT CRIPPLED. THEY CONTAIN ALL THE DATA. THE 200MB WAS A DAY ONE PATCH. ONE PERSON'S MISINFORMED OPINION (with zero evidence to substantiate it) ON THE BETHESDA FORUMS DOES NOT PROVE THAT DATA IS MISSING FROM THE DISK.

Is that clear enough now? If data was missing, it would have been all over the news by now. Not that it matters, because you still require Steam, and if Steam downloads the .exe your game isn't crippled. There is no way in hell that the game can be installed without Steam, so a missing .exe doesn't make a difference either way.

Your entire argument was based off of a post made by a single guy on the Bethesda forums.

Someone once told me that Origin requires you to cut off a piece of your flesh to play your games, so tomorrow I'm going to start a thread complaining about this and stating it as fact, because if that person said it, is had to be true, right?

The only thing you were trying to make people aware of is that someone on the Bethesda forums made a baseless claim.

If you still don't get it, I give up...

My head hurts from all the facepalming.

Edited by Halororor

Crippled because of missing data or because of a forced online activation and download. It makes no difference, the disk is 100% useless on its own, and that makes it crippled. Perhaps the entire game is on the disk, but we have no way of knowing for sure do we? It is crippled compared to the console version, and crippled compaird to the majority of gaming disks released since the start of PC gaming. The last few years has seen more of this practice, but it is a still realtively new phenom, and one that should be not be accepted as the norm.

Edit:

If you had bothered to read some of the original thead I posted to, you'll see my argument against Steam as a digital lock was posted before the claim that 200 mb was missing. So no, one guy's post didn't form the basis for the argument. It just sounded plausable considering the circumstace.

Edited by gigantibyte

one that should be not be accepted as the norm

tell that to the Horde of brainwashed Fanboy minions. In a former Post, I asked Gamers why they were defending Steam. I stated that unless you work for Valve or Game Publishers or profit in any other way from Steam, there is no Reason to defend a Software that is practically forced on you and takes away your freedom of choice. I stated that for Steam to be user friendly it must be a free choice and not mandatory.

I have nobody who could give me a good reason yet.

The Problem is, Publishers and Steam are organized, they make contracts, held meetings and have the same common goal....make sh**loads of Money. The Gamers or Customers on the other side are not. They crawl in Forums arguing about who is a moron because he said something about somebody favorite tool.

Forget for a Moment Publisher Gamer and think about Merchant and Customer. The Merchant has a Product that he had invested certain amount of work in and now he wants to sell his product with some profit. The Customer has demand for certain Product and he worked hard for his Money and so wants to get this Product for the least amount of Money as is possible. The Merchant sells his Product to the Customer for at least 600000000 Dollars (last I checked this was the Figure for Skyrim). The Customer has paid over half a Billion Dollars for the Product and still cannot claim the Product as his own. No! the Merchant still possesses the Product and only grants the Customer its use with the Right reserved to deny the Customer, who just paid fu***ng more than half a Billion Dollars for it, its use.

600000000 Dollars.....Skyrim has more than paid of....for all thats holy that sh** should be freeware by now. But thats not the deal is it? the classic Merchant Customer relationship does not apply to the Digital World...right? so answer me this, why then should our classic "Laws" apply? Why is it legal for the Merchant to screw the Customer but illegal for the Customer to claim ownership for a Product that is by all rights more than paid off.

They talk about Piracy....who do you think is the real Pirate?

one that should be not be accepted as the norm

tell that to the Horde of brainwashed Fanboy minions. In a former Post, I asked Gamers why they were defending Steam. I stated that unless you work for Valve or Game Publishers or profit in any other way from Steam, there is no Reason to defend a Software that is practically forced on you and takes away your freedom of choice. I stated that for Steam to be user friendly it must be a free choice and not mandatory.

I have nobody who could give me a good reason yet.

Are you really that daft? Just because something is compulsory does not mean everyone should hate it.

I love Steam because it allows me the freedom to install and play games where I want, when I want, without ever worrying about disks. I enjoy Steam because it provides me a social platform through which I can communicate with my friends on a day-to-day basis, free of charge. I enjoy Steam because I do not have to manually go search for updates every time I want to install a game, and I do not have to have multiple patches wasting space on my HDD for in case I want to play the game again one day. Mostly, I enjoy Steam because it has allowed me to, in the last year alone, build a gaming collection bigger than the collection of physical games I've owned in my entire life, for not even a quarter of the price I spent on my physical collection.

There's four perfectly valid reasons for someone to like Steam. These reasons have been repeated to you time and again, you just chose to ignore them previously because they did not align with your opinion.

Us 'fanboys' are not forcing you to like Steam, so don't try to force your views on us. One does not have to be a Valve employee to like Steam. Reasoning like that is something I would expect from a child.

Are you one of those people who also walk around complaining about iTunes and how in the 'good old days' everybody went to the store to buy their music? iTunes is also a form of content management, and there is a lot of music on iTunes that are not available for retail.

No! the Merchant still possesses the Product and only grants the Customer its use with the Right reserved to deny the Customer, who just paid fu***ng more than half a Billion Dollars for it, its use.

If you weren't so thickskulled, you might have known that this is the case for all videogames, not just those available through Steam. Read the EULA for any game you purchase next time. You're not buying a game, you're buying a license which grants you access to that game, at the discretion of the publisher.

If you don't like the terms and conditions, don't buy it. You're not entitled to anything here. buddy.

Edited by Halororor

I say we just make everything freeware. That way you don't have to worry about pirating or gaming corporations installing bloatware on your computer or any of the pre-existing downsides. A new downside: Game quality would go WAAAAY down at least graphically but on the flip side they might actually start making games that are fun to play and have in-depth stories instead of awesome graphics. I mean, which would you really rather have?

because something is compulsory does not mean everyone should hate it.

I love Steam

Are we talking about a girlfriend named Steam or are we talking about a Product? What has hate or love got anything to do with it?

That is by the way the reason why there can be no reasonable answer to my question. Its all emotions and not rationality.

By the way, why do you assume I am going to take your Steam away? Steam can exist as a optional Software that CAN be used and not MUST be used. There is quite a difference there.

Us 'fanboys' are not forcing you to like Steam

Unfortunately its even worse, "you" (since you are speaking of "us" i am replying to you directly..no offense meant) are allowing it to be forced upon us. You dont have the power to force it, you are merely opening the way for the publishers to do it.

@VincentIcarus

taking my example of Merchant/Customer....how much do you think should the Customer pay for Skyrim without really owning it? more than 1 Billion? 5 Billion? how much is Skyrim worth? 10 or 100 Billion? They invested a fixed amount of work and money but can theoretically cash in endless amount of profit. Thats a Merchants "wet" dream.

It turns out, that the biggest weakness of digital media is also its biggest strength. The ability to copy it with relative ease makes it easy to pirate but on the other side, once you are finished programming, you can sell it again and again and again and again and again and again..........thanks to digital distribution even without the hassle of producing disks and fully backed by the law.

You are the customer for christ sake, its your hard earned cash, for 600000000 and possibly more you should have the right to demand something.

If you weren't so thickskulled, you might have known that this is the case for all videogames, not just those available through Steam. Read the EULA for any game you purchase next time. You're not buying a game, you're buying a license which grants you access to that game, at the discretion of the publisher.

First, how many wrongs make one right? and second...are you really a gamer? a customer?....I mean come on this;

If you don't like the terms and conditions, don't buy it.

...should only be said by someone profiting from these circumstances and not from a gamer who has nothing to earn but much to lose.

Edited by Arcadiast

Are we talking about a girlfriend named Steam or are we talking about a Product? What has hate or love got anything to do with it?

That is by the way the reason why there can be no reasonable answer to my question. Its all emotions and not rationality.

It's called an over-exageration. I do not have an emotional tie to Steam, I merely enjoy using it, for the four perfectly rational reasons I supplied. I can accept that there are people who dislike Steam for a variety of reasons. You're the one who seems unable to comprehend that the things that makes you hate Steam really isn't an issue for other people.

By the way, why do you assume I am going to take your Steam away? Steam can exist as a optional Software that CAN be used and not MUST be used. There is quite a difference there.

I'm not saying you're trying to take my Steam away, I'm saying you're trying to paint the issue as black and white. If you're not working for Valve or the developer, there is no possible way for anyone to like Steam. That was more or less your exact words. In other words, if people do not conform to YOUR view, clearly they're not being rational.

Unfortunately its even worse, "you" (since you are speaking of "us" i am replying to you directly..no offense meant) are allowing it to be forced upon us. You dont have the power to force it, you are merely opening the way for the publishers to do it.

And that, my friend, is unfortunately how the business world works. You can't expect people who have no issue with a product to stop using that product because you don't want to be forced to use it. The publishers are going to go with what the majority wants, and if the majority doesn't care about using Steam, then it's tough luck for those who do.

I can sympathize with your position here, but it's not going to change much.

If you feel really strongly about it, I suggest starting a petition and pitching it to the big-wigs at Valve and the publishers. Maybe it won't change anything, maybe it will. The best thing unhappy customers can do is make their voices heard.

If you don't like the terms and conditions, don't buy it.

...should only be said by someone profiting from these circumstances and not from a gamer who has nothing to earn but much to lose.

Unfortunately, this is the real world. The only way to make a difference is to vote with your wallet or to make your voice heard. If you don't like that a publisher is doing something, then don't buy the game, however insignificant that loss might seem. Remember, there are maybe 1000s of people out there thinking that them not buying the game won't make much difference.

I don't agree with the policies EA has with Origin, therefore I'm not buying Mass Effect 3,despite really wanting the game.

Thank you. Calling people names to prove a point never solves anything.

And using information from single, unsubstantiated posts from forums as facts never solves anything either.