can too many mods create memory leak?

mitzibishi

ive been furiously adding mods the last few days, must have around over 100 installed with NMM, small to large.

everythings been running fine. till the last round of mod adding. now play for 10 minutes and the memory usage is about 90%+ and the game stutters and sticks, sometimes sticks for a whole second, its unplayable when it gets to that.

its mainly outside, looking/moving around, was in a cave and no stutters.

has a mod created a leak or have i installed 1 too many this time.

i cant remember the last lot of mods i installed, de-installed a few but no joy. if i want to de-install every mod without using mod manager can i just move the whole date folder to somewhere else?

PC specs.

CPU: Q9450@ 3ghz

RAM: 4gb 800mhz DDR2

GFX: 5870 1gb

HDD: game on seperate HDD from OS, 500gb @ 7200rpm

CONFIG: Ultra with increases to view distance.

HD texture packs installed, probs no texture is original reslotion and ive got texture packs layered ontop of each other. example 2k texture pack but with roads, rocks from different texture packs.

but like i said game was running fine before

Edited by mitzibishi

I think the mod limit is around 200 well thats about what I'm running in Oblivion anyways.... It sounds like your texture mods... running a lot of loose textures files makes your PC stop and search to load files compared to a compressed BSA file where all the textures are in one place.. you can try doing a full hard drive defrag this may help.. I tried textures replacement files that replaced most of the terrain in Oblivion and it made the outside world stutter badly.. also the larger texture sizes will use more Memory to load..

its strange, been running ok, had all the landscape textures running ok days ago although they do overlap if you know what i mean. the last mods i installed were thing like Tytanis mega mod thing, midas spells, forswarn leopard skin armor, coolsims hair pack which i cant get to work.

stuff like that.

i heard that some programs cause conflicts, i did have that game booster running a couple of times, thought id try it to free up ram, cant remember if it was ok before i tried it or not.

im playing now without game booster and it seems normal, took a few mods off like midas spells and tytanis but ive lost loads of content in the process.

its running now using 1.415gb RAM, when it was mega stuttering was using something like 3.5gb

evrythings patched up through steam, validated, defragged, put the new amd 11.12 drivers on today, same performance, no extra fps with new drivers.

Steam defrag does not effect mod files only the stock game files..... there should be no overlaps they will tend to overwrite any file of the same name... also make sure your pagefiling system is set up to run at its recommended max... Tytanis and Midas should not cause as much stutter as a ton of HD textures will.. it took me a longtime to get Oblivion running smooth with 80 gigs of mods running on it.. I'm going slow on the Skyrim mods till the CK and a few other tools are in place ..

You may have problems with your mods overlapping in some area. Textures, depth of resolution, physical location etc. I know in Oblivion, a lot of places were used by multiple mods causing tearing, frame and skinning issues and in most cases, just bad coding. Also, remember the locations need the NPC path or your followers can and usually will get stuck behind, on or in something.

Always back up your data directory and game INI files. It's a bad day when you don't and find out the mod you just loaded is garbage in its present state or completely overwrites your wonderous environment patches you have been playing under.

" I used to have a working game, Then the mod i just installed took an arrow to the knee"

Edited by Brandy_123

looked at my pagefile in the ini and its blank. hwo do i fill this in correctly for my setup?

going to try the original ini files to see if its the grass and object view distance changes ive made.

from default ultra at 60fps imade some chnages and now i have it running at about 40fps+ with a big vista view and grass right out into the distance and objects further out than default ultra to. i cant do without the grass distance, i would have it further if i could.

but now it seems to be just mega stuttering after about 10-20mins of smooth play, especially when turning, i was even looking at the floor and it was still doing it.

ill try default ini, then ill move the data folder and see what happens

i played on vanilla ultra with all mods and i was ok, so i edged a couple of things back down on my highest config and it was running ok. i seem to get almost the same framerate in vanilla as i do with my highest config, in most places i only lose a few frames. if it was a RAM problem which is what im thinking maybe i had,

uExterior Cell Buffer=256

uGridsToLoad=7

iPreloadSizeLimit=51380224

buffer too high at 256, ill keep it at 128 and edge the grass back up, could do with a slight more distance on objects like those green bushes and shrubbery, so ill edge that back up, forgot which one was tied to those though. i hate it when things look bare in the distance.

confused, i was getting the stuttering inside whiterun aswell where its bare, it was as if my virus scanner fired up, and holding frames for at least half a second at a time

Edited by mitzibishi

• 1 year later...

Skyrim Project Stability

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/32363

Have a look at this guide. If you're dealing with frequent freezes it will fix that. If not the it will vastly improve the stability of the game as a whole. I recommend following the whole guide however if you scroll to the bottom there are instructions for a memory leak workaround.