ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

A player-owned fort!

kromey

I'm sure both sides would love to have the College on their side. I'm also sure both sides realize that attacking them would not only not achieve that goal, but they'd very likely get their butts kicked nine ways to Oblivion -- and after all that, the best outcome they could hope for would be that the College didn't ally with the other side and wipe them out!!

Which then raises the possibility of a "false flag" operation (e.g. Imperials dressed in Stormcloak uniforms attacking the College to make them think the Stormcloaks attacked them), but neither side seems to be much into the suicide mission thing...

I have no doubt that both the Imperials and the Stormcloaks are trying all possible diplomatic channels to get the College on their side of the war. Overtly taking them over just wouldn't work, though, which is why it's not at all out of place that neither side is doing it.

Now, an extension of the College questline that has the Thalmor attempting to take over the College, especially given the events surrounding the Eye of Magnus, would be awesome! It seems more fitting with the lore that the Thalmor would be arrogant enough to think they can overcome the College's defenses, and indeed it would be a tough fight to keep them out, especially if what's-his-name managed to find that back entrance through a tunnel into the Midden that the Thalmor think they can use in a surprise attack!

Okay, now I have to add the Thalmor's Siege of Winterhold to the list of mods I'll make once the CK is released...

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure both sides would love to have the College on their side. I'm also sure both sides realize that attacking them would not only not achieve that goal, but they'd very likely get their butts kicked nine ways to Oblivion -- and after all that, the best outcome they could hope for would be that the College didn't ally with the other side and wipe them out!!

Which then raises the possibility of a "false flag" operation (e.g. Imperials dressed in Stormcloak uniforms attacking the College to make them think the Stormcloaks attacked them), but neither side seems to be much into the suicide mission thing...

I have no doubt that both the Imperials and the Stormcloaks are trying all possible diplomatic channels to get the College on their side of the war. Overtly taking them over just wouldn't work, though, which is why it's not at all out of place that neither side is doing it.

Now, an extension of the College questline that has the Thalmor attempting to take over the College, especially given the events surrounding the Eye of Magnus, would be awesome! It seems more fitting with the lore that the Thalmor would be arrogant enough to think they can overcome the College's defenses, and indeed it would be a tough fight to keep them out, especially if what's-his-name managed to find that back entrance through a tunnel into the Midden that the Thalmor think they can use in a surprise attack!

Okay, now I have to add the Thalmor's Siege of Winterhold to the list of mods I'll make once the CK is released...

Haha, yeah the siege of Winterhold is a entire mod itself, but you could use it too for your fort mod. A militarised fort, only accesible via the narrow bridge would cause many death's. It's like the 300, in a narrow corridor enemy numbers will count for nothing. Even if the stormcloaks or the imperials want to take the real college, the potential benefit on the long term that you gain if you take it during the civil war, doesn't outweigh the losses you will get if you try to attack it full frontal.

Maybe you could do a little fort adventuring, first you capture forst mistwatch from the bandits and protect it from imperial attack, then you need to recapture Helgen from the bandits and protect it from Imperial attack and bandit attack, you'll need to clear out some mine nearby from where the bandits are striking, then fort Pseudo Winterhold College (what about 'Cliffside Keep'?) in which the defense will result in a epic battle for the bridge and eventually the courtyard where the imperials are using captured Giants and so to attack. Or something in that direction

But... I already control the Winterhold Collage, through normal in-game means even.

Seriously though, The Collage is currently in decline and has but a handful of mages. The Empire is hardly interested in it, and has an Aldmeri Dominion agent monitoring things. The Stormcloaks, being mostly Nords, hate magic and think mages are weak. They aren't interested in it either.

one other thing, if the rumors are true about the collage and the mages inside mustered enough power to shield and safeguard the collage against the land masses around it falling into the sea, I think they would have little trouble putting up a barrier to stop an invasion. :thumbsup:

I have... AN IDEA! :psyduck:

There is already a "Helgen Rebuilt" mod.

Use that, find some way to implement it a few weeks after the main (or all of the)story(s) is/are finished. Stick some Jarl robes into a chest, and once you get them, you have a quest to go find like 50 people to recruit for your town, like the blades quest. I'm gonna add some random, named NPCs with a randomizer variable so they all have diff and race-appropriate names.....

Anyways, just a thought, for fun. Lotsa fun.

But... I already control the Winterhold Collage, through normal in-game means even.

Seriously though, The Collage is currently in decline and has but a handful of mages. The Empire is hardly interested in it, and has an Aldmeri Dominion agent monitoring things. The Stormcloaks, being mostly Nords, hate magic and think mages are weak. They aren't interested in it either.

one other thing, if the rumors are true about the collage and the mages inside mustered enough power to shield and safeguard the collage against the land masses around it falling into the sea, I think they would have little trouble putting up a barrier to stop an invasion. :thumbsup:

It may have but a handful of mages, it's still of strategic value. Nords may hate magic but they can't ignore the benefits of a highly developed research center. The Empire has ruled skyrim for quite some time now and the College has only went backwards. The Stormcloaks can finance them and help recruiting new members in exchange for military research and occupation of winterhold and the College. As powerful as the mages may seem, they don't have the power to sustain themselves. Hence it's only logical that the College would take the chance to be restored to it's former glory. Many military succeses of the Stormcloaks will convince them that siding with them will not result in the destruction of the College but in full succes, they would be crazy to ignore such an oppertunity. Though you may be the Arch-Mage, in-game you didn't get any actual benefits. You got your own garden with rare plants but that's about it. You don't have any political or military power.

Choosing the Stormcloak side can get the College the power it has so long yearned for. To be able to actually influence the course of Skyrim is a power the mages can't ignore. Therefore, for the College to intervene in the civil war is only logical. They have to much power to be left out and the oppertunity to gain much more power.

I have... AN IDEA! :psyduck:

There is already a "Helgen Rebuilt" mod.

Use that, find some way to implement it a few weeks after the main (or all of the)story(s) is/are finished. Stick some Jarl robes into a chest, and once you get them, you have a quest to go find like 50 people to recruit for your town, like the blades quest. I'm gonna add some random, named NPCs with a randomizer variable so they all have diff and race-appropriate names.....

Anyways, just a thought, for fun. Lotsa fun.

We know, that's why a 'siege of winterhold' or 'castle restore mod' is preferred.

Building islands is a pain in the fusrodah. Still, here's a (very) rough proof-of-concept for the beginnings of a new island fort in the middle of the sea.

(Spoilered in case you don't want your mental image of your own, perfect player fort obliterated by this.)

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/3006/screenshot8xy.jpg

That's a nice looking island there!

So I could add a small island, maybe put a lighthouse on it, and then work out some kind of story for the player to take over managing it, and begin expanding it and turning it into a port city.

Hm... I'm actually still favoring Robber's Gorge for this mod, but I am inspired to make an island fort as well. Separate mod, obviously, maybe come up with some kind of a story line and make a quest chain for it.

That's a nice looking island there!

So I could add a small island, maybe put a lighthouse on it, and then work out some kind of story for the player to take over managing it, and begin expanding it and turning it into a port city.

Hm... I'm actually still favoring Robber's Gorge for this mod, but I am inspired to make an island fort as well. Separate mod, obviously, maybe come up with some kind of a story line and make a quest chain for it.

Will you then relate it to the civil war, the thalmor feud or just some random 'kill all the bandits' (a.k.a. no special story) and make it your own fort?