How do you insert the whole body inside armor?

jet4571

Hi I am working on a retexture of the psiijic robes. mainly sleeveless and shorter robe. I am working on a male and female version. female version has a lower cut shirt showing some cleavage and shows a little belly above the belt. same robe for male and female.

Issue is there is nothing under the clothes at all. no arms, no belly no cleavage. I did the NifSkope to make the robes include alpha channels So no issues there.

I have 3DX max 9 and already included a complete full body model if it will be required Only issue is I cannot use .dds files for textures in Max 9 so I cannot see them unless i convert to .tga(for alphas). I am not changing the uvw so it shouldn't matter what was dragged and dropped onto the ball then onto the model from the ball so I can see it, then repeating with what i cannot before exporting. or even importing a new part and replacing an old without changing the texture file type at all leaving everything grey in max. and when I try to import into Nifskope it gives me an error with the .mtl file. And the error happens when i never opened the .obj or .mtl and changed anything, export. then import 2 seconds later and error..

Anyway is there some setting in Nifskope to include the complete body? Or does someone want to donate so i can buy a new version of max since it looks like the .dds issue is common and every fix for it has been deleted. FU Nvidea for deleting the plugin lol !!!!

I have some follow-up to offer here... :yes:

"CherryHotaling" has today posted a helpful tutorial which appears to address much of what is being discussed in this thread. :happy:

You can find it here -

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeah you'll find that on all the textures for the game. There isn't much point texturing the inside of a piece of clothing or armour since you can't see it in game.

Essentially I think the only way to see what the body looks like is to put it on ingame.

You'll have to swap the partial body mesh for a full body mesh in Nifskope (you could probably do it in 3DS, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't work to well) ...

Open the Armor you want to alter in Nifskope

Go to file --> New Window

Load a full body mesh in that window

Click on the "0" for the mesh --> in the bottom of the screen there should be a name depending on the body mesh you loaded (might be "scene_Root" or BBE_Slim_Body" or "Torso_0" or some such

To the left of this text will be a little "txt" icon, click on that and select the text and copy it

Now you need to rename the root mesh of the Armor to allow the copy and paste to work

Go back to your loaded armor mesh, now do the same as before, click on the "0" ("Nord_Plate" Blades_Male" "Torso_0" whatever it's called)

Click the "txt" again and this time in the popup window paste in the name from the body mesh and hit enter or click ok

Back in your body mesh window click the little arrow next to the "0" and there should be 1 oe several (depending if it's a 'nude' mesh or not) a NiTriShape with a name like "**female_body***" or some such

Highlight and press CTRL + C to copy that branch

Back to your Armor

Click the "0" again and press CTRL + V to paste that NiTriShape into your armor

After a second or so, you the list should expand with your new body highlighted

It's now safe to right click on the partial body "NiTriShape" (the one that's just ankles, wrists, and neck normally) and select "Block --> Remove Branch"

Once that's done you may need to mess around with the co-ordinates of the new body mesh to make it line up properly with the armor

Right Click the NiTriShape and click on "Transform --> Edit" ... This will bring up the co-ordinates sliders/setting where you can mess around with x,y,z , and stuff to line things up

Lastly, I'm not sure how important this is, but I've had some meshes that look fine in Nifskope (all textures visible) but in Skyrim the skin texture is invisible

If this happens I've found that opening the NiTriShape for the body then click on the NiTriShapeData section and in the bottom window check the following lines

Has Normals - Should say yes, if it says 'no' double click on the line and it will change to yes

Has Vertex Colours - Should say yes, if it says 'no' double click on the line and it will change to yes

Then resave your file and try again in game ...

Hope that helps some ... It's probably the worst and slowest way to do this sort of thing, but it works OK for me (ahh ... for the past umm ... 3.26 hours, since I figured it out that is) so unless a better expert comes along ...

Has Normals - Should say yes, if it says 'no' double click on the line and it will change to yes

Has Vertex Colours - Should say yes, if it says 'no' double click on the line and it will change to yes

Then resave your file and try again in game ...

Hope that helps some ... It's probably the worst and slowest way to do this sort of thing, but it works OK for me (ahh ... for the past umm ... 3.26 hours, since I figured it out that is) so unless a better expert comes along ...

If you are doing this for the body meshes that is incorrect.

Firstly for all other mesh objects you do want to set has normals to yes, but that alone is not actually the totality of it, Just ticking yes on a mesh that previously didn't have normals would do very little I expect, I think it would be worth mentioning that the num UV sets needs to be set to 4097 and you need to update tangent space to correctly calculate those vectors.

secondly if this is a body mesh object, has normals should be set to no. they use object space normal maps and as such have no use for vertex normals. It's all stored in the map.

and I don't think that would be the slowest way at all. only takes a few mins. As soon as you throw max into the mix you just added at least 5-10mins..

Thanks for the clarification Ghogiel ... I've only just figured out how to do this myself, so the help is really, really appreciated, I managed to replace the partial mesh with a full body inside the "farmclothes01" clothing mesh and it worked great in game ... Now for some more fun playing about with other clothes/armors ...

Thanks Perraine and Ghogial.

I would have used Max but when I open it I get an error for the .dds plugin. and .dds does not show when put in the materials list or on the model. Wasn't a big deal because what I used it for the game didn't care if it was a .dds or a .tga. it would load the .tga if one was present or a .dds if not. So I used .tga for modeling and testing because saving was faster and then converted to .dds for the compression when finished.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f257/JET-WTF/Image2-1.jpg

*edit

Figured out what the issue was... I never installed SP2 for Max 9 and I installed it so long ago I never noticed it didn't say service pack 2 when starting. Thought I did but that's where thinking can get you lol...

Edited by jet4571