The Sunday Discussion - Gambit77 - Author of the Armorsmith and Weaponsmith Extended mods

TheTokenGeek

It's always interesting to learn how much in common modders share. Mos Def - Black on Both Sides is one of my favorite hip-hop albums. I bought that CD after hearing 'May-December' on a 411 Video Magazine segment. Skyrim on Xbox 360 also led me to modding and to the Nexus (I didn't enjoy Fallout 3 on console, but LOVED it on PC). I started playing games with a C64 and doing tiny bits of painstaking code from ZZAP64 magazine. :) Oh and Dave Chappelle is my favorite comedian as well. (Loved his recent monologue on SNL).

This was an excellent interview. I owe a lot to the '...Extended", mods; I would not ever want to play FO4 without them, and I can definitely appreciate how much tedious plugging-away goes into such plugin-creation. Keep up the good work, Gambit, et al. :)

Just an addendum since this interview happened a while ago. I want to give a shout out to my Merc crew: L0rd0fWar, RaffTheSweetling, AmaekilShath, OhDeer, and Thirdstorm. The Mercenary Pack is another cool project I'm glad to be a part of.

This week I did the Skyrim SE plunge and spent a few days doing my mod build, and I gotta say, you Skyrim modders have made some awesome stuff in the past couple years, I'm lovin it!

I gotta give props to another handful of modders that I forgot the first time or whose work is new to me and is blowing me away. Arthmoor, damn man, Cutting Room Floor and all these expanded settlements, where'd you find the time to do all that and fix the game. Enai Siaion, I used Apocalypse back in the day, but I'm new to Ordinator and that's some damn fine work, super creative. Jonwd7, thank you for your work on NifSkope, and I can finally use Footprints in my build, woot. Tonycubed2 and the SoT Team, thanks for keeping a bunch of crucial mods going, I love the difficulty. Isuko, the water is so beautiful, I can finally use Wet and Cold in my build, and I switched from RND to iNeed and I'm digging it. MyGoodEye, I'm so psyched to see Warzones be all it can be now that memory limitations aren't a roadblock anymore. Kajuan, you are killing it with your textures. Gamefever, keep it up with the cool mashups, I love the variety, and nice work on your leveled lists, I got a good look while making my leveled list patch, top notch.

In response to post #46867785.

tdog473 wrote: hey, this is going to sound really stupid because it is, but where do I put the new files in my game? Do I just copy them into the "game" folder? Thanks.

You should really use NMM or Mod Organizer to install mods, then you need to learn how to use FO4Edit, TES5Edit, or any other games edit programs to make merge patches to make your mods compatible and you should learn to use both BOSS and LOOT to get your mods in the correct load order. There are many great tutorials on how to use these programs and I swear they are much easier to use than it seems at first. I learned from a modder named Gopher and his youtube tutorials, so you might want to start there.
Doing mods manually is probably the worst idea if you are just getting into modding, but if you insist, download a mod manually and then extract its contents. You should either see a folder named Data, or you will see the folders that go into Data, for example a Textures folder. In your games main folder you will see a folder named Data. Simply copy the contents into there and make sure that it is activated by checking it in the game launcher. Again I would emphasize learning the tools available to you here on Nexus. Once you get the hang of it, it is really much simpler. If you have any other questions, PM me and I will try to help within reason.

Gambit77, based on your background I would guess you and I are around the same age, so kudos on the Blade Runner pick. I'm a huge Star Wars freak and there were so many good movies in the 1980's, but nothing stuck with me through my life like Blade Runner. On top of being a great movie, sometimes I just put it on for ambience, like a good album, or one of those freaky new age recordings of a waterfall. It's just a work of art. I'm hoping CDPR do a good job with Cyberpunk and bring some of that feel back. Also looking forward to the sequel this year. Love your mods and thanks for all of your hard work.