Journal of Erik the Slayer

tokyobiohazard

My employer gave me this journal today. Said I could use it to write down interesting things from my travels and take it home to show the village. Sounds like a good idea. Maybe the bards will sing songs about me someday. Heh, guess that's a bit much, but at least I can show my father that I enjoy my new life.

-----------------------

My employer took off her helm today, and after she washed the dried gore from her face, I realized that she was the very woman who convinced father to let me become a mercenary and paid for my armor. Her eyes are quite dark, at least until they catch light. Then, you can see that they are red. Deep, wine red... Her ears end in a fine point. That's right, she's an elf. Makes me wary of her. The deep red facial markings she's got make her look fiercer, harder to trust. Hair's white as snow. She travels with two dogs. Big ones.

-----------------------

I fought a dragon today! A dragon! Can't believe I made it out of that fight alive. I would have died if she wasn't there, I think. Dragon landed in front of me and opened its maw. I could see the flames writhing in its throat. Landing was its mistake, though. She slashed its throat before I could even think. Thank the Gods she knows how to use that greatsword. She turned around and began to run. I followed, the dogs behind me. She stopped in her tracks after a minute of wading through a hot spring. She stood there and gawked at something. I crawled up on the little ledge she was on as fast as my armor would allow. There in the water before us, lay a fallen mammoth. A giant stood on the banks of the hot spring and stared at the felled beast, its eyes warily wavering from the mammoth to us. I looked at the beast and noticed its scorched hide. The dragon had gotten it. She approached the body, knelt next to the corpse, then rested her head near the base of its trunk. The giant bellowed at her in warning. She whispered something, perhaps in Beast Tongue, and stood. Pointing at the skeleton of the dragon behind us, she said, "She has been avenged." With that, we left, wandering around this place. She calls it Eastmarch. Would you believe after killing a dragon and such, she began to pick grapes? Said they were rare and could fetch a good price.

-----------------------

(Later that night) Around the campfire tonight, I asked for her name. She leaned over from her perch atop an ancient stump and wrote "Akane" in the dirt, then told me how it was pronounced. Felt like a reading lesson...

-----------------------

Today, we explored an abandoned building (or, that's what we thought it was at first) that we soon realized was a Dwemer ruin. It was amazing how well-preserved everything was. Not even a speck of rust on anything. Maybe they used a special kind of metal. Akane did some odd things in there. She often would press her hand against the cold metal and mumble with her eyes closed. Maybe she was praying, I don't know. It sounded almost musical, with the lilting tone her voice has. I thought I caught the words, "Where have you gone" in there, but I can't say I'm entirely sure. Anyway, that's not even the important part. We fought these giant metal beasts that moved on their own. Automotons, she calls them. I can't help but wonder if the Dwarves' machines turned on them. My lantern has nearly burned out, and Valor seems tired (it's so cold this far north that each of us has to share our bedroll with a dog), so I'm finished writing for the night.

-----------------------

Last entry was about a week ago. Today, she told me to go home and take her dogs with her. It's not very characteristic of her to leave them anywhere. I've decided to help with the farm until she returns. At least I've got the dogs to occupy my free time.

-----------------------

She returned today. It's been two weeks and five days. Why was I counting? She brought back a white horse and another dog. She calls the horse Frost and the dog Meeko. To my surprise, she gave me her black horse and Valor. The next thing she did was produce a full set of Dwarven armor and weapons. I don't understand where she got all these things, but she says that she's the Dragonborn of the old legends. She's not a liar, so I have to believe her. She hired me again, so we headed out toward Whiterun.

-----------------------

We arrived at Whiterun today. She told me that she's been both a member of the Companions and the Thane of Whiterun since before we met! I think I'll tell her how I've been feeling tomorrow.

-----------------------

Things turned out... differently than I wanted. My heart's been shattered. She took me to meet some of her Companion friends today. First of all, they called her Harbinger. Second, she embraced a Nord man and kissed him once before introducing him as Vilkas, her betrothed. To make matters worse, he's got a twin. It's like there are two of him here to mock me! I won't tell her, after all. This is definitely my last entry.

Excellent! Although, it may help to add dates (maybe locations). Just a suggestion. Again, nice work. :D

Edit: Ignore that locations part. Don't know why I added that.

Edited by Keanumoreira

Tokyo, it's a great fan-fic journal entry, maybe someone might make Erik into an npc follower when the creation kit comes out! :)

Or if you feel like it, continue to write more journal entries and make them books in Skyrim. :P

I love it tocky!...tho I do like all your work. I was very enjoyable to read. :D

Excellent! I liked very much the approach of the story as entries in a journal. Only thing is I have never played Skyrim but despite this I still got a strong feel of your story.

• 2 weeks later...
I didn't realize I had so many replies until now! Thanks, everyone :dance: I came pretty close to not posting this, actually. This story was hidden away in my notebook, along with other stories that I deemed to be unworthy for posting. Someone picked up my notebook and flipped through it (a very odd occurrence, as nobody is usually interested in my stuff irl), then read this and told me it was good and that I had to post it. ^^