How the internet lowers cognitive functions.

Keanumoreira

Pretty scary: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/internet/7967894/How-the-Internet-is-making-us-stupid.html

I mean, yeah, it seems obvious, but I've been keeping up with my school work, been doing some writing (my choice of career), but I've always wondered why, now and then; that I slip up in certain tasks or can't think properly (otherwise known as brain fog). My memory is clouded, I don't react as fast as I used to, and when I stumbled across this interesting little article this afternoon, it was like hitting a brick wall with the words, "Duh, you idiot", painted all over it. So now I realize that this daily task (which roughly takes up 75% of my time on weekends, and 25% on school nights) could actually damage my cognitive capabilities (permanently!) and lead to serious mental diseases in the future (Dementia, Alzheimer's, the list goes on). I encourage you heavy internet users' to limit how much time you sink on the web. If you're experiencing the same problems that I have been having, then the source could be staring you right in the face.

Edited by Keanumoreira

I think it depends on how you use the internet more than just the simple fact of using it. I think many people use it because it's a distraction from their lives and not their lives.

As far as the whole mental illness thing, plausible. I think it can intensify it because instead of people actually dealing with their problems, they're distracted from them, making it harder to cope. I know I've done that. It's not always easy to deal with problems instigated by mental illness, but sometimes the internet doesn't really help that.

Most of the article though read like speculation to me. There might be something to it but I think the internet is going to have to be around a lot longer to truly gauge the full effects over decades. People were always stupid...it's just with the internet and widespread news availability, it's seen more than it used to be.

I'm sorry, this is a bit subjective, to say the least.

Key points are "some", "maybe" and "perhaps". I wouldn't blame problems with concentration on the internet or computers in general, not to mention I very much doubt you can genetic "illnesses" from using it </sarcasm>.

Not to mention things like...

...half a class of students was allowed to use internet-connected laptops during a lecture, while the other had to keep their computers shut. Those who browsed the web performed much worse...

...Really? I mean... really? I wonder if they did study about whether people with headphones and mp3 player running hear others talking better or worse that people without them too.

Thing is, people always try to find something to blame for their shortcommings, you may either go with that or learn to accept it...or do something about it. Readiong a book or ten a month is a good start if you have concentration and memory problems -or, again, you can say "darn them computers, makin' me stupid" :P

Edited by elvinkun

I will rephrase my post, as I think I didn't make sense at all even for myself. Just like elvinkun used the quote, I would too.

...half a class of students was allowed to use internet-connected laptops during a lecture, while the other had to keep their computers shut. Those who browsed the web performed much worse...

Well, yeah. They aren't completely focused on the work. Even if they are looking up stuff they need, they are not as concentrated. Don't blame the internet for this, blame the user, or yourself if you are that user. There are lots of things on the internet, useful and not useful. It's up to you whether to waste time on not useful things or do something better than that.

I agree with elvinkun. -

...Really? I mean... really? I wonder if they did study about whether people with headphones and mp3 player running hear others talking better or worse that people without them too.
Edited by Omeletter

Reading Concentrating thinking .. due that thinking not only involves logic, but also inspiration, determination and creativity .. only one that reads but don't realy understands and thinks can become stupid due to the fact that the one has missed some steps in the process out for going on to the next thing he wants to read or not re-thought of what he previosly read in the net .. aside from media's like videos. So you are right Omeletter.

So wait... If they used the internet as the medium to publish the article, does that mean they're stupid?

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/151/e/4/philosoyoshi_base_by_karasu_96-d3hpw16.jpg

Edited by Yoshh

Technology is a tool, and it depends on how you use it. A hammer is very constructive when building a new home, or it could be used as a brute blunt weapon. I know many fellow students at my university who have sunk far too much time into their online pleasures, subsequently causing them to leave the university due to low performance or switching degrees. The people who choose to browse for fun during a college lecture or something are wasting their money and their time. How ironic is it that some would pay a hefty sum of money to go to classes and waste that paid time in disregard, and furthermore rejoice when classes are cancelled?

The mental illness thing seems reasonable. I think it really starts with the early habits. If you don't try to place some self-restrictions early, I say it could easily lead to some rather undesirable and less-than-optimal behavior. It is very easy to hop on the Internet anywhere (especially with smartphones nowadays) and check the latest news feeds from the major news aggregates, sports scores; you name it. If you let your brain get into the mentality that it can get what it wants anytime and anywhere, it becomes hard to resist the mental addiction. I personally had that problem before, and since then I try to give myself strict times of usage. And I do own a smartphone. I guess it has worked out pretty well.

Of course, there is a point when the sheer total amount of time spent can imply being unhealthy. The Internet shouldn't be using up 99% of your waking hours.

Needless to say, the Internet is pretty dang awesome. It is entertaining and educational -- a truly amazing resource for any aspiring learner, really. The article puts it quite nicely when talking about the constant switching between mental tasks, which leads to a less focused mind. To repeat, it's also great that it can get your mind off of something briefly and allow the pleasant return with rejuvenated sparks of mental activity. It's not black and white thing. ;)

while i play games just as much as the next person, im always learning new things on the internet. im always surfing Wikipedia, or watching stuff on YouTube or something. the internet can be a great source or learning if you want it to be.