Fallout 4 High Res Texture Update

L3s7ing

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's just a way to attract some relevance to the game to sell a few more copies. I just hope they are getting on with TES 6 DirectX 12.

A poorly drawn, crap looking texture, combined with a woeful UV mapping technique on a low poly, poorly shaped mesh will still look like rubbish regardless of the resolution of the textures. Then add to that, the fact that 95% of the time the game won't even be displaying the 4k texture (or whatever size they are) but one of it's much smaller 'mips' and it becomes even more of an almost worthless download for gameplay.

Add to that the dreadful memory usage optimization of the game engine which means after a few hours of play time, the game is barely loading 0.5k textures.

However, It might be handy to have as a "resource" for texture artists to use as a base, plus there may be some higher resolution normal maps that could slightly improve the look of some items.

A poorly drawn, crap looking texture, combined with a woeful UV mapping technique on a low poly, poorly shaped mesh will still look like rubbish regardless of the resolution of the textures. Then add to that, the fact that 95% of the time the game won't even be displaying the 4k texture (or whatever size they are) but one of it's much smaller 'mips' and it becomes even more of an almost worthless download for gameplay.

Add to that the dreadful memory usage optimization of the game engine which means after a few hours of play time, the game is barely loading 0.5k textures.

However, It might be handy to have as a "resource" for texture artists to use as a base, plus there may be some higher resolution normal maps that could slightly improve the look of some items.

A lot of people don't know about that though, watch the forums fill up with performance complaints and "these textures aren't that better" threads.

I installed Fallout 4 on it's own Cherryville SSD, 240GB. I've used 90% of that space between NMM, mod storage, it's virtual install and the game's install. I have a hard time justifying moving some of that for a texture pack that brings me more woes. Or upgrading it for that matter.

Here's a technical overview of the files in the new hd texture ba2

[FO4] Technical details about the HD DLC! : FalloutMods

And so Bethesda is calling this HD texture pack a "Love Letter to our PC fans", well you can stick that love letter PeteEmilTodd - I'm sick of your corporate frugalness, it's shone through in FO4 like a dog turd that is coated in .5 microns of gold filigree and a plastic cherry on top.

Edited by kraag

LOL @ minimum specs shown in Steam:

Requirements

• MINIMUM:
    • CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K or better
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM
    • GPU: GTX 1080 8GB
    • HDD: 58 GB available space

:cool:

Edited by ReptyleRazer