SOPA Strike?

FlyingHigh10000000

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aye, the law does affect overseas sites, so it would affect your US audience, though I do understand why you might not want to partake. As for sites like wikipedia being offline, it's for a reason. That could very well be the future if SOPA and PIPA pass. Corporate thugs would, at a whim, be able to shut down access to any site accessible in the US. The law would set a precedent for overseas laws, as well, so it's not just "something that doesn't affect the UK" or some such. It's something that affects the world, much like a US ban on abortion would. One country puts forth an extreme law, and before you know it, everyone's doing it because it seemed like a good idea at the time. Hopefully the amount of organizations participating will be enough to tip the balance in favor of the people, and stop the US government from committing an act that would affect the world.

Edit: Just realized that no posts so far are from an official Nexus spokesperson. Definitely interested in the official standpoint.

Edited by FlyingHigh10000000

From what I understand, the SOPA bill involves US ISP's , search engines and payment processors blocking offending sites as opposed to taking them down. If a website was hosted outside the USA, then the USA would have no jurisdiction to order the plug to be pulled at the hosts. It might be the case that the practical effect of yanking the advertising revenue or the Paypal facility might be to kill sites, but I doubt it would happen in every case. Where Nexus is concerned, they have a very strictly stated and enforced policy against piracy. Whilst SOPA is a worrying development and could be abused, which is why I feel it to be a very bad thing, it appears to be primarily aimed at sites where you can stream and download whole games, films and music that would normally cost money, and at sites where you can purchase counterfeit goods.

I am not so certain that the rest of the world will follow. Here in the UK two of our biggest ISP's have put up a fight against a similar piece of legislation and are refusing to give in. If a number of internet big hitters join in some form of protest against SOPA, and there are a number of them that oppose it, then the ball will be rolling.

Countries will always cooperate when at the end of the day, each side benefits;

especially where a history of Foreign Aid is prevalent. Deals made in the back of the

courthouse are not restricted to US soil. And where governments are particularly friendly

with each other, like the USA and the UK for example, the FBI might as well be calling the

shots right from your back yard. No, this bill's potential passing and negative affects, even from

a prosecutionary stand point, will not stop at the US borders. Uncle Sam's arms can reach much

farther than that.

Of course with the US's debt to China any intended influence in that geopolitical front would null & void.

..No matter, being that all this bill stands for is already alive and well there as I write this.

Edited by goatz