[WIP] Atvir Dres: The Last Prince of Tear

JanusForbeare

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@lovinhappychicken: It's always been my intention to make Atvir interact with as many other companions as possible. I've brought the subject up with the authors of Fair Khajiit (as seen above), Skyrim Vilja (not yet released), Herman (haven't heard back, need to try again), and... actually, I think that's it. There aren't that many voiced companions in development. I didn't realize until recently that Ceridwen was custom-voiced - but if Mujuro decides to expand her personality, I will definitely bring it up.

That being said, some thought will have to be given to the best way to implement inter-party dynamics. As Emma pointed out to me, we can't simply ESMify one of the companions and make their file a master to the others; it doesn't make sense to require one companion to use another. We could potentially make a blanket master file that all the complex companions use - Companion Interactions.esm or something like that. That will require a fair amount of coordination between modders, and the file will be required to run any of our companions, but it at this time it seems like the only reasonable way to go about it.

As you can see, dialogue and interaction between companions is still quite a long ways from being realized, but it's definitely on our minds (well, mine at least).

Have you seen the mod 'Interesting NPC's'? The author has recently added several voiced companions who comment on quests and locations (as well as having their original backstories that the mod was originally based around). I think there are 16, about six voiced and the others needing voice actors, Anyway, both the writing and voicing is top notch so if you're considering companions for Atvir to interact with it's definitely worth a look :]

@Progressive_Stupidity: Thanks for the tip! You're the second person to recommend checking out that mod, so I'll definitely look into it in the near future. It's looking like we'll be starting to add those interactions sometime after the first Content Update is released later this year.

@everyone: In update news, Atvir now has a working, voiced tactical menu (follow distance, weapon choices, and aggression) and I've begun recording the text of several books that he'll be able to read to the player. Our other voice actors are working on or have already completed their recordings for the "A Friend of a Friend" quest, and I'll begin building the quest itself once I receive all their files.

I've also made several decisions regarding new features for AD. First off, I'm planning to include several "scenes" in the first Content Update - events which occur spontaneously while travelling or relaxing. Some of these will be predictable, such as the "Let's eat" scene, which will fire twice a day, provided Atvir is relaxing near a cooking pot at the time. Others will be repeating, but random. A few will be quite uncommon, and will only ever trigger once in a single playthrough. Most of the latter will essentially be mini-quests.

The second decision came while I was working on the scripts for some of the aforementioned events. In addition to Atvir's planned rival/friendship variable, I intend to introduce a second variable that the player's actions will be able to influence: empathy. Since these two variables will be tracked separately, it will be possible for Atvir to dislike the player while still learning to respect other people and cultures (among other possible scenarios). I originally thought of calling this variable "morality", but I didn't like the dualistic, black-and-white simplicity of that, and eventually decided that "empathy" was the more appropriate term.

Been through several quests with him - love this guy. Can't wait for the updates!

One suggestion - would it be possible to add comments about sneaking/crouching? I sneak through most of my quests (I'm an archer), and keep expecting an expletive-filled diatribe to launch behind me regarding pain in his knees/back, or the stupidity of sneaking around, or some such ;)

Again, great work!

@wiggs: That's a great idea! As time goes on, more and more of Atvir's banter is going to become conditional (I use the word in the broad sense, not in the CK sense), and that's one category I hadn't considered. Noted!

Just wanted to mention that I spent the better part of today working on a small new mod, and releasing much-needed updates for some of my older works. In the name of shameless self-promotion, I suggest you all check out:

-JanusForbeare's Fighting Words: New as of today. Brawl with anyone, anytime, anywhere.

-Call Housecarls: A variation on the "Call Atvir" spell found in AD. As you might expect, this mod adds five new summoning spells, one for each of the Housecarls. Today's update corrected a longstanding error in Balgruuf's dialogue; he should now say his line properly and award the player the "Call Lydia" spell after the debacle at the Western Watchtower.

-Better Bond of Matrimony: Replaces the boring gold wedding ring with the diamond ring mesh, raises its value, and changes the enchantment to "Fortify Carry Weight". Today's update adds improved flexibility, allowing the player to choose from three different enchantment strengths, depending on their playstyle and personal preference.

Hey Janus I told Atvir to stay at my player mod house, but when I came back a few days later he won't rejoin me. The dialogue option isn't even there it's just "I want to talk to you" and your "lets brawl" mod. I tried saving and reloading but that doesn't work either. I want Atvir to rejoin my group D:

@Calfurius: There have been reports of problems recruiting Atvir after sending him home, just like you're experiencing. I've been looking into it, but since I have never personally encountered the problem, it's tough for me to diagnose and treat.

I have a couple of theories, but nothing concrete yet. In the short term, you could use the console command "JFADAtvirDres.setplayerteammate 1" and "JFADAtvirDres setplayerteammate 0" to recruit and dismiss him, but some dialogue options might still be missing.

I'll let you know if I have any breakthroughs.

EDIT: Also, try "JFADAtvirDres.GetDisposition Player". It won't fix anything, but if somehow you managed to piss Atvir off, it's possible that his follower options might not show up.

Edited by JanusForbeare