Steam workshop EULA

s73al7h

Origin is up. you might be missing key trends here.

Value of the companies will skyrocket into the multi bil range as more users are locked down onto the network. Think facebooks worth and why it is estimated to be as such.

Pretty sure they aren't giving the collected data away, it's probably part of the paid service. There might be flow, but it's not free.

Doesn't the EULA of steam indicate that information Valve gathers via steam will not be distributed to third parties (specifically companies that are not associated with Steam and who's games you haven't bought) without your permission? Hell, I think most of EA's games have a clause like that in their ToS, which is why they always ask "Would you like to recieve blah bloah blah, from EA partners?" and such.

Edited by TheElderInfinity

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't the EULA of steam indicate that information Valve gathers via steam will not be distributed to third parties (specifically companies that are not associated with Steam and who's games you haven't bought) without your permission? Hell, I think most of EA's games have a clause like that in their ToS, which is why they always ask "Would you like to recieve blah bloah blah, from EA partners?" and such.

In terms of personal information, yes. They can't hand out your name, address, credit card number etc without your permission, which, really, 99% of people aren't going to give. Particularly the last one..

In terms of performance figures, however, they can give out infromation, so long as it does not specificly give away an individuals information. Things like "We sold 12,000 copies of War in the North this week" and "People have played a collective 400,000,000 hours of Skyrim since its release" are free game.

*puts on tinfoil hat*

Not Valve, BGS. for it to move to console modding, whihc they have stated they want to, and have stated they have talked to M$ about it but they want to controll what goes on in terms of content that gets passed around it's network users, BGS likely has to prove that the mods can be vetted and controlled to pass M$'s criteria. This Steam thing is the test bed for it.

^ And that's a problem why? If legitimate console modding got started, for one, we'd never have to deal with "CAN I MODZ MAH CONSEL" threads again. We'd also get a lot more users, and a great deal of respect from the console crowd.

I support console modding 100%. And always have.

There is no issue with it at face value. As long as PC modding doesn't also get locked to a single official mod distribution channel in future games. It ties back into the charging for mods, if that happens on BGS games in the future, then that scenario becomes more likely.

Edited by Ghogiel

^ Why do you think that would happen? I think Skyrim's integration of Steam Workshop could actually be somewhat revolutionary for modding; companies might start making games more mod friendly or even making modding APIs of their own where they wouldn't have otherwise. While some may lock it to steam/origin/whatever single distribution channel, I highly doubt the ones that are already mod friendly would do that, and for the ones that aren't, one distribution channel + modding support would be worth it.

^ And that's a problem why? If legitimate console modding got started, for one, we'd never have to deal with "CAN I MODZ MAH CONSEL" threads again. We'd also get a lot more users, and a great deal of respect from the console crowd.

I support console modding 100%. And always have.

There is no issue with it at face value. As long as PC modding doesn't also get locked to a single official mod distribution channel in future games. It ties back into the charging for mods, if that happens on BGS games in the future, then that scenario becomes more likely.

I highly doubt Sony/Microsoft are going to allow user created content on their systems that they don't first QA test.

EVEN if they did it would be M rated only mods, you'd still get threads of people complaning "whyz cantz I haz nudez modz?"