Steam workshop EULA

s73al7h

Why do you bash console users? Are PC gamers some kind of "douche bags"? We don't deserve respect? At least my game is equal in all my friends, in PC gaming one is looking to a tree and the other is seeing some brown pixels.

Btw, games sell more in consoles so I guess we suppprt the industry. Please respect us, thanks.

Seriously learn reading comprehension. Nobody was bashing consoles or console gamers in general dont try starting a flame war. The only thing bashed was specific console players who start a thread and ask a stupid question about if they can use PC mods and that wasn't really bashing but making a joke about them. Same thing someone would say about a PC gamer who came to an XBox thread and asked if he can get the same achievements as XBox players, and YES I have seen that happen and the person got laughed out of the forum without 1 PC gamer defending him.

OT:

If you are worried about the loss of control for your assets through Steam Workshop then dont use the feature. It would be financially prohibitive for Bethesda to change Skyrim so that only Steam Workshop mods will be useable and impossible for the CK to only export to Steam because Valve would not allow that because it would generate too much traffic for each time a mod is compiled and tested during the creation process.

As for future titles yes Bethesda could make the game only use Steam Workshop mods and for that game the complaints could be made and for many modders time to move on to a new game company to mod. But i seriously doubt they will ever make them Steam only.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ Why do you think that would happen?

Well that's easy: $$$

Why would they get more revenue from locking mods to a single distrubtor? That's PC btw. obviously consoles are going to be single distributor since most of the consoles don't have web browsers, and allowing people to DL stuff onto consoles opens a whole new can of worms for the manufacturers.

For PC, it seems like such a "stupid evil" thing to do. I don't see the advantage of doing that for PC mods, and it'll only scare away picky users/the people who DL "risque" mods.

TheElderInfinity: Microtransations x 9000

If you are worried about the loss of control for your assets through Steam Workshop then dont use the feature. It would be financially prohibitive for Bethesda to change Skyrim so that only Steam Workshop mods will be useable and impossible for the CK to only export to Steam because Valve would not allow that because it would generate too much traffic for each time a mod is compiled and tested during the creation process.

I don't understand that, the creation process and testing is nothing to do with any distribution license. There wouldn't be a potentially greater number of mods being created If bethesda wrote in their EULA for the CK that mod distribution outside SW breaks their license.

Edited by Ghogiel

^ Basically, locking PC modding to a single distributor would kill the modding scene, which is one of the PC version's biggest draws.

It would and it wouldn't. It wouldn't kill it very much until money comes in imo. After all it's just a distribution platform. And this being the test bed, once it proves itself to have a TON of content released on it, then the users base is well established anyway, and locking it would only affect the small portion of gamers/modders who basically dislike steam.

The companies who set the trends the entire industry follows, ie Blizzard and Valve, actually do that....and also sell user made content.

All the people who downloaded MMM, OOO, FCOM, really any mod with a filesize greater than 500 megabytes would disagree, since steamworkshop is going to need a fairly low filesize cap to keep the servers functional.

Regarding the sale of user made content, that makes sense for TF2, since its a multiplayer game and mods that are more than reskins are therefore illegal; the only way to incorporate user generated content into the game is through official channels. While Valve does "sell" user generated items, its perfectly possible to get them for free by playing TF2, trading ect.

I wasn't aware Blizzard sold any user generated content either, since mods aren't allowed on their games besides tiny WoW interface mods and maps for Star/War Craft

For Skyrim, selling user made content isn't viable, since the game is single player, and the only reason Beth can make money off DLCs (besides consoles) is the advantages they have over mod makers (superior tools, access to the game's source code, ect). I don't really understand why Bethesda or Valve would have to gain by locking Skyrim mods to Steam Works only that would be worth pissing off the people who prefer other sites.

Edited by TheElderInfinity

All the people who downloaded MMM, OOO, FCOM, really any mod with a filesize greater than 500 megabytes would disagree, since steamworkshop is going to need a fairly low filesize cap to keep the servers functional.

Regarding the sale of user made content, that makes sense for TF2, since its a multiplayer game and mods that are more than reskins are therefore illegal; the only way to incorporate user generated content into the game is through official channels. While Valve does "sell" user generated items, its perfectly possible to get them for free by playing TF2, trading ect.

I wasn't aware Blizzard sold any user generated content either, since mods aren't allowed on their games besides tiny WoW interface mods and maps for Star/War Craft

For Skyrim, selling user made content isn't viable, since the game is single player, and the only reason Beth can make money off DLCs (besides consoles) is the advantages they have over mod makers (superior tools, access to the game's source code, ect). I don't really understand why Bethesda or Valve would have to gain by locking Skyrim mods to Steam Works only that would be worth pissing off the people who prefer other sites.

Are all those mods actually all over 500meg?

and Curse the website. The url is blocked on the nexus.

I totally disagree that netting transaction fees on one of the most modded games out there is not viable. It so viable that if thy made 10cent on 10mil Dls that's a 1mil profit clear for no overhead. what you are saying is that mods aren't as good as horse armor DLC, which sold very well BTW, is totally preposterous.

Edited by Ghogiel

Wait, wait, so your not identifying yourself as a console gamer, by saying "Btw, games sell more in consoles so I guess we suppprt the industry. Please respect us, thanks. "

and you're not accusing someone of bashing consoles, and saying how much better and superior they are because pc version have trees and brown pixels. :confused:

Skyrim sold more in consoles and in PC looks different from PC to PC, ranging from excellent to mediocre. I'm confused with your confusion.

It would have been fine if that is actually all of what you said, it just read more like this to me: I'm mad at some unspecified someone for bashing consoles, our games all look the same and your game looks all different with brown pixels, we support the developers because more copies are sold on the console, neener neener. but maybe I'm readin it wrong.

Nope, thats about what registered when I read it.

Are all those mods actually all over 500meg?

and Curse the website. The url is blocked on the nexus.

I totally disagree that netting transaction fees on one of the most modded games out there is not viable. It so viable that if thy made 10cent on 10mil Dls that's a 1mil profit clear for no overhead. what you are saying is that mods aren't as good as horse armor DLC, which sold very well BTW, is totally preposterous.

Selling mods would frankly be a PR disaster. That's enough to get even hardcore dickish publishers like Activision to back down (from say, releasing the weapons and perks for MW2 as DLC...), and yes, all of those mods are well over 500 megabytes total.