NMM2 - Update and recruitment

TheTokenGeek

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #47411520.

sialivi wrote: Got a few questions regarding scripted mod installers with the new mod manager:

1) Will it support both FOMOD and BAIN Installer Wizards?
2) Will any other installation options be added, for example Javascript based installers?
3) A big limitation with the frequently used XML based FOMOD installers is the inability (to my knowledge) to detect if you're installing to Oldrim or SSE and only being able to link to either your Oldrim or SSE page, making it a bit of a hassle to make user-friendly combined installers. Any chance this will be improved?

Reminds me of: https://xkcd.com/927/

re 1) fomods: definitively. bain wizards: not sure, I've never looked too deep into the file format so I can't say how complex that would be.
re 2) never say never but personally I'd rather improve on the existing options than introduce new ones.
In particular I wouldn't want to add a new script-based installer system due to compatibility: csharp installers are making our life hard right now (as they already did for me with MO) why repeat that mistake? A JS based installer would be easy for us to implement now but it would probably be a NMM2-only solution again.
re 3) Well, I guess this could be added as a new feature to the existing xml format. Best keep this in mind and post as a feature request once we open up the project.

Our focus will be on xml installers, improving that format as necessary. Edited by Tannin42

In response to post #47414770.

Mebantiza wrote: How about Hiring someone that won't force useless virtualized installation on everyone. You know, like MO and NMM does now...

How about reading the following quote from this thread?
"As far as I know, and don't quote me on this, we plan to allow you to pick how you want the file management to work from a number of options, but some might not be done by launch." -- Dark0ne

In response to post #47411520. #47414850 is also a reply to the same post.

sialivi wrote: Got a few questions regarding scripted mod installers with the new mod manager:

1) Will it support both FOMOD and BAIN Installer Wizards?
2) Will any other installation options be added, for example Javascript based installers?
3) A big limitation with the frequently used XML based FOMOD installers is the inability (to my knowledge) to detect if you're installing to Oldrim or SSE and only being able to link to either your Oldrim or SSE page, making it a bit of a hassle to make user-friendly combined installers. Any chance this will be improved?
Tannin42 wrote: Reminds me of: https://xkcd.com/927/

re 1) fomods: definitively. bain wizards: not sure, I've never looked too deep into the file format so I can't say how complex that would be.
re 2) never say never but personally I'd rather improve on the existing options than introduce new ones.
In particular I wouldn't want to add a new script-based installer system due to compatibility: csharp installers are making our life hard right now (as they already did for me with MO) why repeat that mistake? A JS based installer would be easy for us to implement now but it would probably be a NMM2-only solution again.
re 3) Well, I guess this could be added as a new feature to the existing xml format. Best keep this in mind and post as a feature request once we open up the project.

Our focus will be on xml installers, improving that format as necessary.

Regarding installer systems, I think a good "new" system should be based on JSON. This keeps it flexible enough to be executed from any mod manager (no need to interpret javascript) and fits with the new direction NMM is going. I've had some thoughts on the subject, may get around to making an initial design document sometime. Edited by matortheeternal

In response to post #47378620. #47381125, #47382375, #47382860, #47383605, #47383890, #47384455, #47385670, #47386165, #47387535, #47391155 are all replies on the same post.

lued123 wrote: It's great to hear that things are coming along.
Edit: And might I suggest you call it NEMO? NExus Mod Organizer? It's an appropriate name for a merger of Nexus Mod Manager and Mod Organizer, it sounds adorable, and it invokes the same "I'll use two letters if I want to," attitude that USLEEP had before it got ported to the Special Edition.
Edit: Nexus Mod Organizer was vetoed by Dark0ne, so it's probably not happening. Also, please don't reply if all you have to say is "+1". I'd like if this thread was a *bit* less repetitive than that, and I think other users would appreciate it too. Add some commentary in there or something.
mattjus wrote: +1 for NEMO!
Merkcy wrote: I dig NEMO +1
matortheeternal wrote: I really dig NEMO too, the logo could be a clown fish or a submarine, the default color scheme could be blue/orange. The name is also logical and seems to have caught on with the community a lot.

That said, Dark0ne vetoed it in the other comment thread on this article, so I don't think it's going to happen. Though I'm really curious what other name he has in mind. Dark, I think you're going to have to come up with something good quick before the community gets dead-set on NEMO. :)
d0mini wrote: That sounds awesome, very much behind that name.
TinyManticore wrote: +1, NEMO is great and is easy to remember.

If Dark0ne doesn't like it, who cares. Unless he has decades of experience as a brand consultant, you should be asking the community (or a brand consultant).
Megasuxx0r wrote: I just wanted to add that I like that name, too!
Daelda1 wrote: Aww...so NEMO is out. Well...back to the drawing board....
DofD wrote: I dig this!
phellen wrote: N.E.M.O is catchy, but if that's already been ruled out...how about " Nexus Mod Activator (NEMA), or just (NMA).
ArtaiosGreybark wrote: Nexus Mod Enabler :D

how about Nexium

In response to post #47414155.

silencer711 wrote: How about [Nexus One Manager] or "NOM". Since this will be the HUB of all of one's mod library, it is both professional and theoretically if the plans for the NEW Mod Manager delves into the Revolutionary/Versatile category; Most advanced, all-inclusive mod manager ever created. I see "One" to manage them, and "One" to rule them all. :)

Sauron Mod Manager?

In response to post #47378620. #47381125, #47382375, #47382860, #47383605, #47383890, #47384455, #47385670, #47386165, #47387535, #47391155, #47418760 are all replies on the same post.

lued123 wrote: It's great to hear that things are coming along.
Edit: And might I suggest you call it NEMO? NExus Mod Organizer? It's an appropriate name for a merger of Nexus Mod Manager and Mod Organizer, it sounds adorable, and it invokes the same "I'll use two letters if I want to," attitude that USLEEP had before it got ported to the Special Edition.
Edit: Nexus Mod Organizer was vetoed by Dark0ne, so it's probably not happening. Also, please don't reply if all you have to say is "+1". I'd like if this thread was a *bit* less repetitive than that, and I think other users would appreciate it too. Add some commentary in there or something.
mattjus wrote: +1 for NEMO!
Merkcy wrote: I dig NEMO +1
matortheeternal wrote: I really dig NEMO too, the logo could be a clown fish or a submarine, the default color scheme could be blue/orange. The name is also logical and seems to have caught on with the community a lot.

That said, Dark0ne vetoed it in the other comment thread on this article, so I don't think it's going to happen. Though I'm really curious what other name he has in mind. Dark, I think you're going to have to come up with something good quick before the community gets dead-set on NEMO. :)
d0mini wrote: That sounds awesome, very much behind that name.
TinyManticore wrote: +1, NEMO is great and is easy to remember.

If Dark0ne doesn't like it, who cares. Unless he has decades of experience as a brand consultant, you should be asking the community (or a brand consultant).
Megasuxx0r wrote: I just wanted to add that I like that name, too!
Daelda1 wrote: Aww...so NEMO is out. Well...back to the drawing board....
DofD wrote: I dig this!
phellen wrote: N.E.M.O is catchy, but if that's already been ruled out...how about " Nexus Mod Activator (NEMA), or just (NMA).
ArtaiosGreybark wrote: Nexus Mod Enabler :D
sscites wrote: how about Nexium

Oh that's punchy AF; it's got to be NeMO.