NMM2 - Update and recruitment

TheTokenGeek

In response to post #47378620. #47381125, #47382375, #47382860, #47383605, #47383890, #47384455, #47385670, #47386165, #47387535, #47391155, #47418760, #47420000, #47420025 are all replies on the same post.

lued123 wrote: It's great to hear that things are coming along.
Edit: And might I suggest you call it NEMO? NExus Mod Organizer? It's an appropriate name for a merger of Nexus Mod Manager and Mod Organizer, it sounds adorable, and it invokes the same "I'll use two letters if I want to," attitude that USLEEP had before it got ported to the Special Edition.
Edit: Nexus Mod Organizer was vetoed by Dark0ne, so it's probably not happening. Also, please don't reply if all you have to say is "+1". I'd like if this thread was a *bit* less repetitive than that, and I think other users would appreciate it too. Add some commentary in there or something.
mattjus wrote: +1 for NEMO!
Merkcy wrote: I dig NEMO +1
matortheeternal wrote: I really dig NEMO too, the logo could be a clown fish or a submarine, the default color scheme could be blue/orange. The name is also logical and seems to have caught on with the community a lot.

That said, Dark0ne vetoed it in the other comment thread on this article, so I don't think it's going to happen. Though I'm really curious what other name he has in mind. Dark, I think you're going to have to come up with something good quick before the community gets dead-set on NEMO. :)
d0mini wrote: That sounds awesome, very much behind that name.
TinyManticore wrote: +1, NEMO is great and is easy to remember.

If Dark0ne doesn't like it, who cares. Unless he has decades of experience as a brand consultant, you should be asking the community (or a brand consultant).
Megasuxx0r wrote: I just wanted to add that I like that name, too!
Daelda1 wrote: Aww...so NEMO is out. Well...back to the drawing board....
DofD wrote: I dig this!
phellen wrote: N.E.M.O is catchy, but if that's already been ruled out...how about " Nexus Mod Activator (NEMA), or just (NMA).
ArtaiosGreybark wrote: Nexus Mod Enabler :D
sscites wrote: how about Nexium
HolyJoe09 wrote: Oh that's punchy AF; it's got to be NeMO.

NEMO, good name!

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #47378620. #47381125, #47382375, #47382860, #47383605, #47383890, #47384455, #47385670, #47386165, #47387535, #47391155, #47418760, #47420000, #47420025, #47421885 are all replies on the same post.

lued123 wrote: It's great to hear that things are coming along.
Edit: And might I suggest you call it NEMO? NExus Mod Organizer? It's an appropriate name for a merger of Nexus Mod Manager and Mod Organizer, it sounds adorable, and it invokes the same "I'll use two letters if I want to," attitude that USLEEP had before it got ported to the Special Edition.
Edit: Nexus Mod Organizer was vetoed by Dark0ne, so it's probably not happening. Also, please don't reply if all you have to say is "+1". I'd like if this thread was a *bit* less repetitive than that, and I think other users would appreciate it too. Add some commentary in there or something.
mattjus wrote: +1 for NEMO!
Merkcy wrote: I dig NEMO +1
matortheeternal wrote: I really dig NEMO too, the logo could be a clown fish or a submarine, the default color scheme could be blue/orange. The name is also logical and seems to have caught on with the community a lot.

That said, Dark0ne vetoed it in the other comment thread on this article, so I don't think it's going to happen. Though I'm really curious what other name he has in mind. Dark, I think you're going to have to come up with something good quick before the community gets dead-set on NEMO. :)
d0mini wrote: That sounds awesome, very much behind that name.
TinyManticore wrote: +1, NEMO is great and is easy to remember.

If Dark0ne doesn't like it, who cares. Unless he has decades of experience as a brand consultant, you should be asking the community (or a brand consultant).
Megasuxx0r wrote: I just wanted to add that I like that name, too!
Daelda1 wrote: Aww...so NEMO is out. Well...back to the drawing board....
DofD wrote: I dig this!
phellen wrote: N.E.M.O is catchy, but if that's already been ruled out...how about " Nexus Mod Activator (NEMA), or just (NMA).
ArtaiosGreybark wrote: Nexus Mod Enabler :D
sscites wrote: how about Nexium
koiwe wrote: NEMO, good name!

+1 for Nemo

In response to post #47390880. #47391605 is also a reply to the same post.

SpookaXX wrote: I would prefer the name to remain Nexus Mod Manager. Just add 2.0 or a word or something on the end.
Hudelf wrote: Honestly this makes the most sense to me if NMO or NEMO are out. No need to rebrand it, just relaunch it as the next version of the same software.

Thanks for the update, would love to get some kind of communication on where things stand every few weeks if you can. Once this and the new SKSE are out, I can't wait to lose weeks of time to modding out the game again. :D

Except we've aslready had a NMM 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6.

So it would be NMM 7, if the name was kept the same.

In response to post #47414770. #47415280 is also a reply to the same post.

Mebantiza wrote: How about Hiring someone that won't force useless virtualized installation on everyone. You know, like MO and NMM does now...
lued123 wrote: How about reading the following quote from this thread?
"As far as I know, and don't quote me on this, we plan to allow you to pick how you want the file management to work from a number of options, but some might not be done by launch." -- Dark0ne

Here is my take on virtualization of installing mods, it saves me time in finding what mod is making my game not work, or not working right, without having to go through a full data folder, and potentially deleting things that make the game function already. The thing is, I was working on Fallout New Vegas, and I had a lot of mods, and my game was not working. I tried NMM, and the same thing happened. Of course this was a while ago, and early days of both NMM , FOMM, and even MO. MO was the best option for me. I don't have to put anything in my data folder that either wasn't installed already, or something important. Like NVSE's scripts to help it run. This way, I can have a vanilla game, with NVSE. You may want to check out the videos on youtube by Dirty Weasel Media, Gopher, and or even Gamerpoets. They maybe able to help you in understanding virtualization of mods.

In response to post #47414770. #47415280, #47424165 are all replies on the same post.

Mebantiza wrote: How about Hiring someone that won't force useless virtualized installation on everyone. You know, like MO and NMM does now...
lued123 wrote: How about reading the following quote from this thread?
"As far as I know, and don't quote me on this, we plan to allow you to pick how you want the file management to work from a number of options, but some might not be done by launch." -- Dark0ne
SirTwist wrote: Here is my take on virtualization of installing mods, it saves me time in finding what mod is making my game not work, or not working right, without having to go through a full data folder, and potentially deleting things that make the game function already. The thing is, I was working on Fallout New Vegas, and I had a lot of mods, and my game was not working. I tried NMM, and the same thing happened. Of course this was a while ago, and early days of both NMM , FOMM, and even MO. MO was the best option for me. I don't have to put anything in my data folder that either wasn't installed already, or something important. Like NVSE's scripts to help it run. This way, I can have a vanilla game, with NVSE. You may want to check out the videos on youtube by Dirty Weasel Media, Gopher, and or even Gamerpoets. They maybe able to help you in understanding virtualization of mods.

what kind comment is that you have just started modding if you modded for YEARS, you have no idea why this virtualized installs are important and ever since then my mods work correctly.

I am somewhat concerned about the end result of NewNMM given the description of the technologies involved - I fear we're going to end up with something that looks and feels like a webpage designed for fat thumbs on a tablet, rather than a native desktop application designed for a mouse, and this in an application that I know for a fact is almost never going to be used on a tablet. Case in point: just look what they did to LOOT. I mean, yes, the old UI wasn't great, but it could have been improved without turning it into an Android App, destroying performance and information density in the process - even on my high-spec machine.

Frankly, I don't understand the current trend towards writing every single program out of Javascript/HTML/CSS unless something actually physically prevents you from doing so. I'm not saying HTML et al. don't have their place, they do, but that place is making webpages, not creating desktop applications. You should use the correct tools for the job in hand rather than use a tool for a task it wasn't designed for... and Javascript specifically can only loosely be described as having been "designed" for anything, let alone desktop application programming.

Hopefully I shall be proven wrong; certainly I trust Dark0ne more than most to put the user's interests first.

Disclosure: I have worked as a web developer, desktop application programmer and embedded software engineer, and know a variety of programming languages for each, so whilst the above is ultimately my opinion and you're free to disagree, I do speak from experience.

In response to post #47393330. #47394385, #47409845, #47410090, #47410120, #47411905, #47414300 are all replies on the same post.

TheShoxter wrote: How about calling it Vortex? It's going to be the all-in-one perfect mod manager it seems, so the name represents the combinations of functions all coming together. It also sounds dope.

Current Nexus logo can already be appropriated for this name, it resembles a swirling vortex.
dark_wizzie wrote: Vortex, the ultimate in mod management!!!
GenBloodhorn wrote: Not bad really. Its nice. +1
kazuakisama wrote: I agree. Also avoids confusion with old NMM.

+1
bunnyman280 wrote: Vortex does sound cooler
AedanClarke wrote: Of all the suggestions I've seen, I personally like Vortex the most by far. It sounds cool, is quick to say, quick to type, and isn't a boring acronym.

+1
silencer711 wrote: I actually like Vortex a lot. It's a new name altogether and long name could be NVM (Nexus Vortex Manager) or something. I like VORTEX better than my own suggestion lol :)

Vortex sounds great! Its a name that sticks out and makes you think when you read it. It literally pulls you into it. Seems a very fitting name for such a great new manager. +1

In response to post #47425020. #47426640 is also a reply to the same post.

benjis425 wrote: I am somewhat concerned about the end result of NewNMM given the description of the technologies involved - I fear we're going to end up with something that looks and feels like a webpage designed for fat thumbs on a tablet, rather than a native desktop application designed for a mouse, and this in an application that I know for a fact is almost never going to be used on a tablet. Case in point: just look what they did to LOOT. I mean, yes, the old UI wasn't great, but it could have been improved without turning it into an Android App, destroying performance and information density in the process - even on my high-spec machine.

Frankly, I don't understand the current trend towards writing every single program out of Javascript/HTML/CSS unless something actually physically prevents you from doing so. I'm not saying HTML et al. don't have their place, they do, but that place is making webpages, not creating desktop applications. You should use the correct tools for the job in hand rather than use a tool for a task it wasn't designed for... and Javascript specifically can only loosely be described as having been "designed" for anything, let alone desktop application programming.

Hopefully I shall be proven wrong; certainly I trust Dark0ne more than most to put the user's interests first.

Disclosure: I have worked as a web developer, desktop application programmer and embedded software engineer, and know a variety of programming languages for each, so whilst the above is ultimately my opinion and you're free to disagree, I do speak from experience.
Breems wrote: I too have reservations about porting web development to the desktop. It's becoming increasingly common since many developers are expected to know web development now, and most don't bother learning desktop development at all. "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail." JavaScript has taken over the damn world.

That said, some good stuff has been built on Electron. I trust the NMM staff will use it well.

Electron applications do not usually feel like web pages or mobile apps. Below is a list of several well-known Electron applications as a case in point:

- GitKraken (screesnhot)
- Postman (screenshot)
- Slack (screenshot)
- Discord (dark theme, light theme)
- Atom (dark theme, light theme)
- Visual Studio Code (screenshot)

In addition, there are frameworks which allow you to make an application with native-looking components with Electron.

I feel that Electron applications are superior to other applications in terms of UI/UX due to the flexibility of not being limited to generally unstyleable native windows components.

The notion that web technologies are for some reason unsuitable for desktop applications seems common, but it has no basis in facts. There is nothing about web technologies that makes them unsuitable for building a desktop application. They are flexible, powerful, and efficient. If you can give me one valid reason why HTML, CSS, and JS shouldn't be used for desktop applications, I'll be stunned.

Disclaimer: I've also worked as a web developer and desktop application programmer. I've used a number of different technologies/frameworks over the years, including Electron. Edited by matortheeternal

In response to post #47425020. #47426500 is also a reply to the same post.

benjis425 wrote: I am somewhat concerned about the end result of NewNMM given the description of the technologies involved - I fear we're going to end up with something that looks and feels like a webpage designed for fat thumbs on a tablet, rather than a native desktop application designed for a mouse, and this in an application that I know for a fact is almost never going to be used on a tablet. Case in point: just look what they did to LOOT. I mean, yes, the old UI wasn't great, but it could have been improved without turning it into an Android App, destroying performance and information density in the process - even on my high-spec machine.

matortheeternal wrote: Electron applications do not usually feel like web pages or mobile apps. Below is a list of several well-known Electron applications as a case in point:

- GitKraken (screesnhot)
- Postman (screenshot)
- Slack (screenshot)
- Discord (dark theme, light theme)
- Atom (dark theme, light theme)
- Visual Studio Code (screenshot)

In addition, there are frameworks which allow you to make an application with native-looking components with Electron.

Most developers feel that Electron applications are superior to other applications due to the flexibility of not being limited to generally unstyleable native windows components.

The notion that web technologies are for some reason unsuitable for desktop applications seems common, but it has no basis in facts. There is nothing about web technologies that makes them unsuitable for building a desktop application. They are flexible, powerful, and efficient. If you can give me one valid reason why HTML, CSS, and JS shouldn't be used for desktop applications, I'll be stunned.

Disclaimer: I've also worked as a web developer and desktop application programmer. I've used a number of different technologies/frameworks over the years, including Electron.

I too have reservations about porting web development to the desktop. It's becoming increasingly common since many developers are expected to know web development now, and most don't bother learning desktop development at all. "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail." JavaScript has taken over the damn world.

That said, some good stuff has been built on Electron. I trust the NMM staff will use it well.