ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Modding Armor for CHSBHC BBP tutorial for 3ds max

CherryHotaling

Thanks for the tutorial, Cherry! I have a tip, in exchange for an answer to a question!

In regards to morphing _0 to _1, I found a fairly neat way of doing it (in 2012, at least). Add both _0 and _1 to the scene, and select _0. Add the "Morph" modifier, and select _1 as the morph target. Select _1, right click and hide the object. Select _0 again, and there's a list of channels for that modifier, and the first should now be 0%. If you turn it up to 100%, it should do exactly as Skyrim does with the weight slider. Turn it back down to 0% after briefly testing that it works.

Now import the armour model. Edit the mesh so that it fits snug against the body. When done, deselect the selection mode (e.g. vertex selection of Editable Mesh) so that it doesn't interfere with the next steps. Add the "Skin Wrap" modifier, and select _0 for its target (add button, click body). At this point, it may think for a while to process things. Select _0 again, and the morph modifier, sliding it up to 100%. Now toggle back to the armour - you should find that things have changed, though it may not look right. Tweak the falloff, distance influence, and if needed check Blend to Base Mesh. Your armour should now scale appropriately with the body! Should be able to export at 0% and 100% accordingly with very little extra effort.

And now for my question - admittedly I have no desire to really modify existing armour, only to create new. How does your tutorial change if you don't have an original armour NIF? I'd like to create my own models, textures, and ideally specular maps too (no idea how the latter are handled). That said, I'm hoping the CK has stuff to handle this when it comes out.

This is excellent thank you for sharing this I will have to try it.

I used to make morph targets for facial expressions on my characters (Not skyrim related)

To make new armor you need to somehow replace an existing or create a new. Problem is if you create brand new one im not sure what the Dismember modifier would be nor the extra file to include it into game.

Hi, I've exported my "upgraded" model and in game it's meshed up. The vrticles, etc.. are the same number _0 as in _1. But I've tried morph modifier as said Frozzled and it worked on original models. I've imported original _0 and _1. Now lets come to import files. :D Original worked, but mine files... I just can't import it. I can, but when I import _0 and then _1, then _0 will explode. :D And if _1 and on it _0, then _1 will explode. And that's happening in game too. It happens immediately after import, so no morph needed to explode it. :D Any ideas? thanks. :)

EDIT:

Fixed it, but in game it will mesh up. The count of verticles is the same between _0 and _1.

EDIT:

Fixed. Just can't delete post.

What was your fix? did you miss something?

If I remember good, then I have selected full armor and clicked detach. It was as a new object. Then it worked. :D If you know what I mean. Lets get a cube, select a cube, detach a cube and we will get a whole same renew cube. :D

Then after importing my exported file, it didn't mesh up for unknown reasons.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cherry! You're my hero! I have so many ideas for some really simple armor mods but had no idea where to start :)

So I have all the tools you list on page one, I went through each step carefully checking and rechecking everything, and all went well. I got everything exported and saved.

BUT when I load up a new game and switch the race to female it CTD. Ok so I thought, I haven't done the _1 model yet and the slider defaults at somewhere in the middle during race creation. Also, before proceeding I coc'd to whiterun and tried showracemenu from there to see if it would work, nothing. So I finished the _1 model and exported/saved successfully and got the shaders in nifskope copied over. As soon as the game tries to load my mesh it CTD.

At this point I decided I must have messed something up so I deleted everything and started the tutorial over from scratch. Only took about 20 min this time (thankfully) and still CTD.

I really appreciate this tutorial and I know as soon as I figure this out I will be repaying everybody here with some awesome mods!

Also I am still researching my issue and will post my mistake/fix when I find it...

much love, cherry!

Cherry! You're my hero! I have so many ideas for some really simple armor mods but had no idea where to start :)

So I have all the tools you list on page one, I went through each step carefully checking and rechecking everything, and all went well. I got everything exported and saved.

BUT when I load up a new game and switch the race to female it CTD. Ok so I thought, I haven't done the _1 model yet and the slider defaults at somewhere in the middle during race creation. Also, before proceeding I coc'd to whiterun and tried showracemenu from there to see if it would work, nothing. So I finished the _1 model and exported/saved successfully and got the shaders in nifskope copied over. As soon as the game tries to load my mesh it CTD.

At this point I decided I must have messed something up so I deleted everything and started the tutorial over from scratch. Only took about 20 min this time (thankfully) and still CTD.

I really appreciate this tutorial and I know as soon as I figure this out I will be repaying everybody here with some awesome mods!

Also I am still researching my issue and will post my mistake/fix when I find it...

much love, cherry!

I believe there's a slight error in her tutorial - it's at the part where you're in nifskope. Although, the instructions may say to "copy," "paste" and "delete" at one point, it should always be "copy branch," "paste branch" and "delete branch" for every part that it's required. See if that does it...

I'm trying to work on an armor in nifskope, but after I save, it'll say "Link points to wrong block type." Does that mean I've made a fatal error somehow?

Eeep I forgot to mention to ignore the link error message.

I will put that in the tutorial! thank you!

The error message is normal just ignore it

much love, cherry!

I believe there's a slight error in her tutorial - it's at the part where you're in nifskope. Although, the instructions may say to "copy," "paste" and "delete" at one point, it should always be "copy branch," "paste branch" and "delete branch" for every part that it's required. See if that does it...

I have been through that section multiple times to make sure everything is correct in the shaders department. All my numbers match hers, the hierachy is correct, all the trishapes have the right shaders linked to them. Thank you though, I thought that was the part that was doing it but I can't find anything wrong.

Edited by Priest524

This is a hell of a tutorial!!! Thank you for the hard work and for your time to write this Cherry.

I am a total beginner in modding and especially with 3D Max and when i start following your tutorial i came to one problem. At the final steps of the editing - when i have to select all elements (body and armor) when i click on the body to select it for exporting i am experiencing some kind of "disposition" of the two parts - the armor is no longer bound to the body. When i click the editable mesh button again, everything comes back to normal but i still can't export the selection because when i start clicking on the elements they get disposition again. I know that i am doing something wrong but i don't know where is my mistake. Can someone help please, i really want to get things working, thanks!

im not doing something right.. i import everything in, its all stacked up, i remove the "old" body and keep the new body.. everything is nice except certain body parts usually bleed through..

so i move the torso back a few and scale it a bit so it all lines up and looks good, i then remove the skin to copy over the skin from the model and it all pops back the way it was.. any idea why it wont stay?

then i try to export and 3dsmax crashes.. when it says exporting torso_0.kr

im doing it step by step, im trying to mod the killer skimpy barkeeper outfit to keep the breasts from peeking through.

Edited by aarons6

im not doing something right.. i import everything in, its all stacked up, i remove the "old" body and keep the new body.. everything is nice except certain body parts usually bleed through..

so i move the torso back a few and scale it a bit so it all lines up and looks good, i then remove the skin to copy over the skin from the model and it all pops back the way it was.. any idea why it wont stay?

then i try to export and 3dsmax crashes.. when it says exporting torso_0.kr

im doing it step by step, im trying to mod the killer skimpy barkeeper outfit to keep the breasts from peeking through.

It may be an issue with your mesh's priority list. The higher up it is, the more of a priority it has over the changes you make. You can always click the down arrow and choose "Edit mesh" to make another priority spot for editing if you don't want one effect to overwrite another. I hope that's what you were referring to =/