Leveling bonus

peggyG

I have read and read about leveling with skill modifiers, and I think I am not understanding something!

I am at level 3 and when I go to level 4 I am wanting to raise my strength and endurance +5.

During this level in my major skills, I have raised:

Block (endurance) from 42 raised to 47 = 5

Hand to Hand (strength) 40 to 45 =5

minor skills

Armorer (endurance) 26 to 38 =12

Blade (Strength) 44 to 53 =9

Blunt (strength) 22 to 31 =9

Heavy armor (strength) 46 to 58 =12

When I try to level I am offered

Strength +2

Endurance+3

can anyone help me with what I am missing? Thanks in advance !

I do not have any leveling mods installed

Did you raise the minor skills (armorer, blade, blunt, heavy armor) after you received the level up message? Once you receive the level-up message, the attribute bonuses are frozen and any skill-ups count towards the NEXT level.

Did you raise the minor skills (armorer, blade, blunt, heavy armor) after you received the level up message? Once you receive the level-up message, the attribute bonuses are frozen and any skill-ups count towards the NEXT level.

I thought I left chasing the major skills till last!

I just tested saving, and saved twice in a row. On the second save I received the +5.

so am I right in understanding that I raise the minor skills - and once I have a total of 10 towards strength and a total of 10 towards endurance - then to advance the majors till I get the level-up message. Then sleep asap?

thank you for your help so far!

The increases for both major and minor skills both count towards your leveling. Major skills are easier (i.e. quicker per use) to increase than minor skills. If you watch the progress bar at the bottom of the major skills list you will see that only major skill advances move you towards your next level-up. The trick is to use your minor skills in an attribute (i.e. blade and blunt for your strength) to make sure you will receive your bonus (between hand2hand, blade and blunt your will need to advance 11 points to get your +5 bonus. All of your major skills will push you closer to the next level-up, so it's a balancing act, depending on what other majors you have and how often you use them.

I don't like to wait after I get the level-up message before I sleep. You don't lose the skill advances towards your next level-up, but I find keeping track of where I'm at gets more complicated (math isn't my strong suit). The only advantage to be had from waiting is all your enemies are based on the player's level. If you avoid leveling the bad guys don't level either. I personally don't feel it serves much advantage because even though they aren't stronger neither are you. Once you level and apply your bonuses you get stronger (or more magicka, or faster etc.).